War Room High Scores - AW1 Version.

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:43 am

Spann Island - Sonja - 9 days - 999 pts
Spann Island - Eagle - 9 days - 999 pts
Spann Island - Drake - 9 days - 999 pts

Same as above. Infantry for the first two days, then Tank spam for the rest of the map. I'll see if I can finish Drake shortly.

EDIT: And Drake is done. Time for Moji Island and a walkthrough shortly.
What can change the nature of a man?

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:19 am

Spann Island Guide
Recommended CO: Anybody but Kanbei
Opponents: Olaf
Speed Requirement: 10 days
Days: 8+

Overview: Distract Olaf’s units from your main Infantry by offering more vulnerable Infantry units for the pickings. Build a Tank from day 3 onward to provide the offensive firepower and armored shields to protect the Infantry during the HQ capture. Kanbei cannot follow this walkthrough exactly, but he has the same basic idea: build Infantry for the first two days, and then build Tanks the rest of the time with the occasional Infantry to join with your wounded northern Infantry. While Grit can follow this walkthrough, but I highly recommend you do NOT use him because of his direct and soldier firepower weakness.

Day 1:

- Build Infantry in all bases.

Day 2:

- Move northernmost Infantry 3E and begin capturing neutral city.
- Move N Infantry 3N and begin capturing neutral city.
- Move remaining Infantry 3E.
- Build Infantry in all bases.

Day 3:

- Finish capturing all neutral cities.
- Move N Infantry 2N 1E and begin capturing neutral city.
- Build Tank in SE base.

Day 4:

- Finish capturing neutral city.
- Move easternmost Infantry 3N and begin capturing neutral city.
- Move E Infantry 1S 2E.
- Move E Infantry 1S 2E and begin capturing neutral city.
- Move E Infantry 3E.
- Move Tank 6E.
- Move southernmost Infantry 2S 1E and begin capturing neutral city.
- Move S Infantry 1S 2E.
- Build Tank in SE base.

Olaf Day 4:

- Olaf can move his Artillery in a number of positions. I will only detail necessary movement at this point.

Day 5:

- Save here.
- Finish capturing all neutral cities.
- Move easternmost Infantry 3E and begin capturing neutral city.
- Move E Infantry 1N and attack enemy Infantry from the south.
- Join wounded E Infantry with healthy Infantry.
- Move NE Infantry 2N 1E.
- Move N Infantry 1N 2E.
- Move E Tank 1N 1W.
- Move Tank 6E.
- Build Tank in SE base.

Olaf Day 5:

- Olaf should attack the Infantry on plains with his Artillery.
- Olaf should attack your northernmost Infantry with his Tank.

Day 6:

- Finish capturing neutral city.
- Retreat wounded plains Infantry 3E.
- Retreat wounded northernmost Infantry 2S 1W.
- Join northern Infantry with wounded Infantry.
- Move southeastern Infantry 2N 1E and destroy enemy Infantry from the south.
- Attack enemy Artillery with southwestern Tank from the west.
- Move SW Tank 6E.
- Move southern Infantry 1N 2E.
- Build Tank in SE base.
- Build Infantry in NW base.

Olaf Day 6:

- Olaf should chase after the western Infantry with his Tank.
- Olaf should attack the southeasternmost Infantry with his Recon.
- Olaf should attack the plains Infantry with his Artillery.

Day 7:

- Retreat wounded northernmost Infantry 1S 1W.
- Join Infantry with wounded Infantry.
- Destroy enemy Artillery with adjacent Tank.
- Move northeastern Infantry 1N 1E.
- Remaining unit movement is at your discretion.
- Build Tank in both southern bases.
- Build Infantry in NE base.

The mountain Infantry is the Infantry that will capture Olaf’s HQ. It depends on the unit adjacent to Olaf’s HQ. The easiest HQ captures are done with an Artillery unit in that base. If Olaf refuses to cooperate, reload from your previous save and try again.

Olaf’s western Tank will be distracted by your Infantry on the road. As long as you continue to build Infantry from that NE base, you will have nothing to worry about from that Tank.

As long as you do not place an Infantry on roads or plains, Olaf’s Recon in the southeastern corner will be fixated on that Infantry. You can place a Tank in the middle of the road to keep the Recon away from the capturing Infantry.

Destroying two units should be enough for the power score. If you’re paranoid, you can destroy another unit as long as it does not compromise your technique.

On the other hand, you can only lose two units at most. Start spamming Infantry on Day 8. You are likely to lose the Infantry in the SE corner, and probably a Tank that is surrounding the HQ.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:37 am

Moji Island - Andy - 10 days - 999 pts
Moji Island - Max - 10 days - 999 pts
Moji Island - Olaf - 10 days - 999 pts
Moji Island - Grit - 10 days - 999 pts
Moji Island - Kanbei - 10 days - 999 pts
Moji Island - Sonja - 10 days - 999 pts

I went through the forest and managed to get some favorable movement. I'll see if I can replicate it.

EDIT: Okay, you can easily score 999 pts in exactly 10 days because of Grit's build order. Here's the strategy.

Moji Island Guide
Recommended CO: Anybody
Opponents: Grit
Speed Requirement: 14 days
Days: 10

Overview: In a rare instance, ALL COs can follow this exact strategy without any special modifications. The only requirement is that you keep as many units outside Grit’s range as possible until Day 8.

Day 1:

- Build APC in E base.
- Build Infantry in all remaining bases.

Day 2:

- Move S Infantry 3E.
- Load Infantry into APC and move APC 1S 4E and drop Infantry east.
- Build Tank in S base.

Day 3:

- Move E Infantry 2S 1E and begin capturing neutral base.
- Load Infantry into APC and move APC 1S 2E.
- Move Tank 5E.
- Build Tank in S base.

Day 4:

- Finish capturing neutral base. This will be called the SE base.
- Move APC 2S 1E.
- Move E Tank 1S 2E.
- Move remaining Tank 5E.
- Build Tank in S base.

Day 5:

- Move APC 3S and drop Infantry west, unless Grit’s vehicles can attack the Infantry.
- Move remaining Infantry 2S.
- Move easternmost Tank 2S 1E.
- Move E Tank 1S 2E.
- Move remaining Tank 5E.
- Build Tank in SE base.

Day 6:

- Save here.

At this point, Grit is inconsistent with unit movement, which ends the day-to-day walkthrough.

Starting on Day 6, continue building Tanks from the SE base and Infantry in your HQ bases. This allows you to lose up to two units for the technique score.

If you cannot get your units to distract any of Grit’s indirect units, remember that an APC can be used to distract one, if not both of them.

If Grit sends an Artillery unit in the forest area, one Infantry unit can be used to distract it. When Grit builds two Artillery units on Day 6, keep out of their range. The two of them should head south and leave your army alone.

To minimize the number of enemy units Grit keeps in front of your army, minimize the number of units that can be attacked. If Grit’s units cannot find a target, they will move away from the HQ area or away from your army.

You have three days to move your units in range of Grit’s HQ, because one of your two Infantry must be in range of Grit’s HQ on Day 8. On Day 9, Grit builds a Rocket unit without fail, allowing your Infantry to begin the HQ capture unhindered and finish easily on Day 10.

You need to destroy two units for the power score. The Infantry south of the SE base should provide one, if not two easy targets.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:54 am

Nell - Moji Island - 11 days - 999 points

I ended up using the day the rocket was made as an opportunity to drop off instead of starting the capture - I was able to use my tanks effectively enough to get a safe capture this way.

The power score was no problem, and I only lost my APC - and that was only due to underestimating Grit's range with his CO power, he destroyed it with an a distant artillery.

I hadn't expected the forest path to be an effective route on this map, but it worked. You can gain enough control over Grit's HQ area that a 999 score by rout may not be out of the question.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:13 am

Moji Island - Eagle - 10 days - 999 pts
Moji Island - Drake - 10 days - 999 pts

That's a wrap for Moji Island.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:05 am

I've been trying Land's End with Kanbei again. I really don't think that score can be done, you basically either end up with too many units near Olaf's HQ or too many units on the other side of the mountain pass. I've been able to take the northernmost base, but I can't see any practical use for doing so. I tried making an APC every turn, and it *still* wasn't enough to keep Olaf's units busy. I got to a point where I could unload the infantry on the east side of the mountains and it would have been able to take the HQ on Day 12 if left alone - but that latter part, obviously, wasn't going to happen.

Maybe taking the airport and then starting a flow of transport copters purely as bait would have a chance to work, but I don't particularly feel like taking another crack at that map right now, even on emulator.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:26 pm

Made an attempt to rout Land's End with Kanbei. Didn't work too well, but it went better than I would have expected - on Day 12, Olaf's army was in shambles. While he had a significant number of units left after I attacked, most of them were severely weakened. Furthermore, he had nothing near his HQ - the only unit out of reach was a tank built from the base by the mountain pass. I didn't bother seeing how fast I could rout from there, since I had hit the time limit.

I think I'll just have to give up on getting anywhere with this map right now. If/when I take another shot at it, maybe I'll just leave Kanbei alone and see if I can get anywhere with a different CO, having normal prices opens up a lot more options. That 12-day time limit will still be insane, though...
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:47 am

I just tried the map with Andy. 12 days seems to be impossible for any CO not named Sami because the +1 transport movement means so much on this map. It's the difference between an airport capture on day 8 or day 9. I don't think the perfect score can be obtained on this map.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:17 am

I know that the standard method for AW2 won't work because of that reason, which leaves either routing Olaf or somehow sneaking an APC through the north mountain pass. Neither option seems particularly likely, but they're what we have to look at.

It's possible to take the northernmost base on the map, but there doesn't seem to be any particular advantage gained by doing so - well, not for Kanbei, at least. Other COs might be able to use it to make a Mid Tank or two and pull off a rout - Kanbei doesn't really have a chance at getting the funds to do this, though.

Maybe Max can rout this way, I'll try it out.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:43 am

I just had a crazy idea.

Olaf sends an infantry towards your four main bases fairly early on.

Maybe if you *let* him capture one, or even two, of them, he'd mostly build units from there, and you could rout him without having to get past the north mountain pass! (Maybe make a fighter in case you have to take out a stray air unit on the last turn.

This seems like the best shot at a 12-day win. I'll have to try it.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:47 am

It's times like this that I love these topics.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:17 am

You could help, thefalman.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:12 am

Well, my crazy idea worked, but it took a ridiculous number of tries to pull it off. Without savestates, I have no idea how much longer it would take.

I don't know if it'll work without Max's insane power boosts, I did a lot of holding off and baiting Olaf's rocket with APCs to avoid triggering Blizzard a second time, then Max Forced the rest of his units on the last day. It took a lot of messing around to pull off the Day 12 win.

I let Olaf take two bases. You don't really have time to let him do more than that.

For other COs, the trick may be allowing Olaf to take those bases in order to make it easier to slip an APC through the mountain pass. I think, however, one astonishing success on this map is enough for me right now.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:43 am

DTaeKim wrote:You could help, thefalman.
I could, but I'm currently in a bit of a mid-semester nightmare at uni. However, if someone wants to kit me out with the, uh, 'necessary tools' to contribute, then I could possibly help out if I have some free time.

Yes, I'm a lazy bastard, I know.

That aside, congrats to Dragon Fogel for yet another frankly ridiculous achievement!
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:19 am

Cheers, etc.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:22 am

Fair enough. Looks like it's just me and Dragon Fogel for now.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:38 am

I think the two of us should be up to the challenge, 200 total combinations is pretty modest compared to the previous projects.

I still can't guarantee we'll manage all 200, but that looks a little less impossible than it did yesterday.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Ridge Isle (against Grit) may prove difficult.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:51 pm

*is impressed*
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:09 pm

I've been trying Land's End again. Letting Olaf take your bases doesn't seem particularly useful for trying to sneak an APC past. Although it's possible I was just getting highly unfavorable AI movement - still, the odds for that plan don't look good.

At the moment, it looks like the *only* way to do this without Sami is to rout Olaf by Day 12. Of the remaining COs, Eagle clearly has the best shot at this due to Lightning Strike - I'm fairly confident he can succeed. Nell may be able to pull it off if Lucky Star is cooperative, but even with the aid of an emulator, it would *not* be fun to rely on that. Everyone else, I have no idea.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Regarding Nell, to be fair the AW1 RNG is borked...it should go your way more often than not. Still not that fun. :(

Just so you know, Nell's AW1 D2D is +20 Luck, while the COP is +60 Luck, but in AW1 Counterattacks ignore luck.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:37 pm

For testing purposes, I decided to see what Olaf would build if I didn't try to interfere. On Day 12, he has:

-Five infantry
-One APC
-One tank
-Two anti-airs
-Two Mid Tanks
-Two artillery
-One rocket
-One missile launcher
-One T-Copter
-Two B-Copters
-One Bomber
-One fighter

This is just to give a rough idea of what will have to be destroyed. Ideally, we don't want him building a second Mid Tank (can't really stop the first) or a fighter, they're too hard to destroy. The bomber is good, though, it's expensive but easily destroyed.

It's clear we'll have to manipulate his building. One thing is that the AI places a high priority on rebuilding transports and infantry. Generally, you *don't* want Olaf rebuilding infantry, because that means he'll use more of his bases and have a higher chance of building near his HQ. However, if he has targetable bases to spare, it's a possibility, as it eats up some funds. Destroying his APC is good if it prevents him from building another Mid Tank.

Just some random thoughts. I'll see about pulling together an actual score out of all that, though I can't make any promises...
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

samurai goroh

Post by samurai goroh » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:28 am

Xenesis wrote:Regarding Nell, to be fair the AW1 RNG is borked...it should go your way more often than not. Still not that fun. :(

Just so you know, Nell's AW1 D2D is +20 Luck, while the COP is +60 Luck, but in AW1 Counterattacks ignore luck.
Now that you mentioned Nell, I found the address that previews the damage done. Well is not actually THE damage, is more like the base luck value, like the one in the DS fourmula.

BTW, I haven't looked thoroughfully but it seems like other COs doesn't have a dtd luck like in Dual Strike. However, when they use their power, there's a small luck. Also, even if you use Nell on the Field Training, you don't have the luck to do more damage there...

Also, relating to the CO power, I didn't knew that each time the gauge increases 1/5 of the Base cost but when you activate the power for the 10th time it will go down to only the double of the original cost & it will mantain that way for the rest of the times you activate the power.

Example:

Sami's CO power costs 25,000
When you activate the power, it will increase 5,000 each time. Which means that the 2nd time will cost 30,000; the 3rd time 35,000; the 4th time 40,000 & so on until the 9th time, in which It will cost 70,000. However, from the 10th time & on, it will drop to only 50,000 & it will mantain that way each time you activate the power.

In general the formula would be:

Code: Select all

While n < 10 do
    C = B + (B/5)*n
else
    C = 2*B
C = CO power cost
B = Base power cost
n = Number of times a CO power has been used

Oh, and I have a question too. Can you know in how many days you beat a War Room map if you already had a record? I found the memory address where this info is kept, but I couldn't find a way to show the time for the 2nd to 5th places...

Edit: I uploaded a file with all the codes I've found, you can check them here:
http://samuraigoroh.googlepages.com/aw.txt

Oh, on a side note, seems that I already did looked for the Time Limits before, I sent them to Lars' War Room Guide FAQ as Ericku (which is my name in Japanese, well sort of :P that was my other nick)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:05 am

They do have D2D luck, it's just hidden in their CO datasheet, kinda like in AW2/AWDS.

Everyone but Nell and Sonja have 0A in there, while Nell has 0x14, Sonja has 0x19, but she has a subtracter for the luck as well.

As for the CO Powers, yeah - the same thing as Aw2 and DS occurs here.

As for finding out time that you got it in...I'd assume that if AW doesn't show it in the records and you can only find it for the first CO, I'm assuming that's all it saves. Of course, check the memory after the final war room map or something - it's possible that there's 5 repeats of 'data holding' for each map...so yeah.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Okay... using Sonja, I managed to get Olaf down to seven units at the end of Day 12. That's not too bad - I *may* be able to pull this off if I can do a better job of manipulating his build order.

I can pretty much guarantee that an emulator is needed to do this in any sane amount of time with Sonja, though. Bad luck *really* gets in the way in this game.

Maybe I'm trying to bait Olaf too soon, he was getting in the way of my captures of the northwestern properties. I can't afford to lose that much income, plus it makes it hard to avoid a loss of four units. I think I can only afford to lose three when the bases I cede are factored in.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:04 pm

Arrgh. SO GODDAMN CLOSE.

Here I am, at the end of Day 12, and these are Olaf's remaining units:

-Mid Tank
-Infantry
-Loaded APC

>_<
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:32 am

ONE. FREAKING. MID. TANK.

That's *all* that was left this time. >_<
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:39 am

I'm using a savestate where I haven't cleared Land's End so that I can get screenshots of all the COs I manage to do here.

It took a *ton* of experimenting, but I finally managed it!

This would have taken about a year on cart, though. Damn bad luck. >_<

The map should be doable by almost every CO, and much more easily. >_< Grit and Kanbei are the only questionable ones. Drake would be able to do it if he got the *exact* movement Sonja did, I only made one attack with an air unit. And with Typhoon in effect, it would be enough to make the KO. (Edit - wait, I forgot, Olaf used Blizzard on the last turn, so he'd have higher defense. Still, I only made one attack with a fighter and everything else was ground... so I'm not *quite* as confident on Drake, but still fairly confident.)

The critical point was getting Olaf's first Mid Tank to *retreat* - on earlier attempts I tried to destroy it right away. Everything worked out much better when made it retreat. I'll see if I can reconstruct my first few days.
Last edited by Dragon Fogel on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:47 am

Holy mackerel.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:48 am

Agreed.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:57 am

Sick.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:18 am

Yeah, I'm as surprised as anyone.

At this rate, we might actually do all 200.

Here are some screenshots of the last turn, between the two these show all the units Olaf has out.

Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:37 am

Okay, here's what I have for an opening.

Day 1: Build APC in the west base, infantry in the other three.
Day 2: Move southern infantry three west.
Load east infantry into APC. Move APC two north, four west and drop west.
Move final infantry one north, two west.
Build APC in the west base, infantry in the other three.
Day 3: Move northernmost infantry three north.
Load infantry due east of north APC into said APC.
Move that APC three north, three west and drop north.
Move infantry on southern base three south.
Repeat Day 2 movement with infantry on north and east bases and newly-built
APC.
Move final infantry three west.
Day 4: Olaf must move his battle copter south. Restart if he doesn't.
Begin capturing base with northernmost infantry.
Load northern infantry into APC. Move one west, five north and drop west.
Move infantry on southern base towards southeast city.
Capture southwest city with southern infantry.
Capture city one southwest of middle APC with infantry south of that
city.
All other units move as on Day 2.
Build anti-air.
Day 5: Finish capturing properties. Begin capturing southeast city.
Destroy battle copter with anti-air if it moved into range.
Move northern infantry three west. Move northern APC into forest one
west, two north of newly-captured base.
Move northern infantry two west.
Load northern infantry into APC. Move APC four north, two west and drop
west.
Move northern infantry three north.
Load final infantry into final APC. Move APC three north, three west and
drop west.
Build nothing.
Day 6: Olaf will drop an infantry now. Do NOT attack it! You want it to capture
the north and south bases. (I've found it most effective to cede those two.)
When the infantry finishes capturing the north base on Day 7, make sure you have
a unit west of it, and units on the east and west bases. I suggest not destroying
the transport copter, either.
Finish capturing southeast city.
Load infantry on central base into APC on forest. Move APC four west and drop
west.
Move northern APC one east, one south. (This will draw the Mid Tank's attack.)
Begin capturing airport and all available cities. (Start with the western of the
two cities east of the airport.)
Move both remaining infantry three north.
Build Mid Tank in central base.
Day 7: Finish capturing cities. Begin capturing westernmost base.
Move infantry in southeast area towards enemy infantry.
Move final infantry into APC.
Attack enemy Mid Tank with Mid Tank from east. Make sure to do 6 damage and
have 9 HP remaining.
Build tank in central base.

This is about where I got lost, since I *didn't* get the battle copter moving
south on Day 3, but I was just retracing my steps so I went with it. I'm not sure where the APCs go at this point. I'll work on this some more.

On Day 8, you attack the Mid Tank with the tank, dropping it to 2 HP, then an infantry to drop it to 1, and attack the tank with the Mid Tank. Also, you build a fighter. From there, things get more random and I'm not sure there's any one "best" way.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

samurai goroh

Post by samurai goroh » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Interesting, maybe I should try it on a TAS run to produce a video :D

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:17 pm

I ran a plausibility test for Drake. Rather than get him all the way to the end, I just loaded a savestate on the next-to-last turn and used one of samurai goroh's codes to change the active CO to Drake. (I didn't bother changing my CO meter, but I charged it up that turn anyways.)

Naturally, I'm not counting this towards the list. It's just to show that Drake should be able to do the map. Here's what the situation is around the four bases. (The other side of the map isn't *identical* with the previous screenshot, but it's close enough. In fact, it's *more* favorable if anything.)

It's not as obvious how to clear out this section as it was last time. First, use Tsunami. Destroy units as follows.
-Bomber: Use missile launcher.
-B-Copter: Use fighter and 7 HP infantry.
-APC: Use full-HP mech and 6 HP mech.
-Rocket: Use full-HP mech and anti-air.
-Infantry: Use 8 HP infantry.

(Sidenote: In both this and the earlier screenshot, the empty base is where I built an APC last turn to distract the copter and bomber.)

So the map should definitely be doable by everyone other than Kanbei and Grit. I don't have any particular ideas for approaching it with either of them right now, though.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:09 am

Okay, here's the strategy for those foolhardy souls who want to try this for themselves.

It's quite thorough because I don't see how *not* to do it that way - especially if you want to do it on cart. You will need to know when you start the turn if the enemy movement is good, and you will probably want to save several times to ensure you get the right damage and destroy the critical units. This goes triple if you try to do Sonja on cart, which I *really* don't recommend.

No new score yet, I've mainly done this from memory and my Sonja savestates.

This should work for Sonja, Andy, Nell, Olaf, Eagle, and Drake. Max has more leeway, but this can still be used as a rough guideline for him.

Be sure to read each day's notes thoroughly so you don't assume one movement and end up making a critical point undoable.

Let me know if I made any major mistakes or omissions.

Day 1: Build APC in the west base, infantry in the other three.

Day 2: Move southern infantry three west.
Load east infantry into APC. Move APC two north, four west and drop west.
Move final infantry one north, two west.

Day 3: Move northernmost infantry three north.
Load infantry due east of north APC into said APC.
Move that APC three north, three west and drop north.
Move infantry on southern base three south.
Repeat Day 2 movement with infantry on north and east bases and newly-built APC.
Move final infantry three west.

Day 4: Olaf must move his battle copter south. Restart if he doesn't.
Begin capturing base with northernmost infantry.
Load northern infantry into APC. Move one west, five north and drop west.
Move infantry on southern base towards southeast city.
Capture southwest city with southern infantry.
Capture city one southwest of middle APC with infantry south of that
city.
All other units move as on Day 2.
Build anti-air.

Day 5: Olaf's battle copter should move onto your HQ. If this happens, Olaf
ultimately builds a bomber, which makes routing much easier.
Finish capturing properties. Begin capturing southeast city.
Move northern infantry three west. Move northern APC into forest one
west, two north of newly-captured base.
Move northern infantry two west.
Load northern infantry into APC. Move APC four north, two west and drop
west.
Move northern infantry three north.
Load final infantry into final APC. Move APC three north, three west and
drop west.
Build nothing.

Day 6: Olaf will drop an infantry now. Do NOT attack it! You want it to capture the north and south bases. (I've found it most effective to cede those two.)
When the infantry finishes capturing the north base on Day 7, make sure you have a unit west of it, and units on the east and west bases. I suggest not destroying the transport copter, either.
Finish capturing southeast city.
Load infantry on central base into APC on forest. Move APC four west and drop west.
Move northern APC one east, one south. (This will draw the Mid Tank's attack.)
Begin capturing airport and all available cities. (Start with the western of the two cities east of the airport.)
Move both remaining infantry three north.
Build Mid Tank in central base.

Day 7: Finish capturing cities. Begin capturing westernmost base.
Move infantry in southeast area towards enemy infantry.
Move final infantry into APC. Move APC south of enemy Mid Tank and drop infantry west.
Move remaining APC onto neutral city one northwest of enemy Mid Tank.
Attack enemy Mid Tank with Mid Tank from east. Make sure to do 6 damage and have 9 HP remaining.
Build tank in central base.

Day 8: Enemy infantry has finished capturing the north of your four starting bases now. It must capture your south base, move infantry and anti-air to ensure this.

Also build a Mech at the west base.

Attack tank with Mid Tank from west. Leave it with 3 HP, Mid Tank must retain 9 HP.
Attack Mid Tank with tank from east. Leave it with 2 HP.
Attack Mid Tank with infantry on west mountain from south. Leave it with 1 HP.
Ideally, neither of your units takes damage from these attacks.

Move both APCs to square west of artillery (join them).
Begin capturing city north of airport.
Begin capturing other neutral cities in range.
Move southernmost infantry (outside of the ones at your starting bases) two north.
Move remaining infantry two north, south of tank.

Day 9: Olaf uses Blizzard here.
Olaf will attack the infantry on plains with his artillery. It must survive.

Important note: Olaf has now taken a base from you. You must destroy the units built on these bases immediately, otherwise you will find it hard to get enough attacks in on later turns. Furthermore, Olaf must *not* build from the bases near his HQ or the base just past the northern mountain pass.

Also, do NOT destroy enemy infantry or get them to join with other infantry.
This will result in Olaf building more units, making things more difficult for
you.

Likewise, do NOT destroy Olaf's transport copter, or he'll build another one.
This will either mean the bomber won't be built or you'll have another air
unit to destroy late in the map, *not* good.

Attack artillery on northern of four bases with mech, anti-air, and infantry.
No infantry may be in range of either of Olaf's battle copters.
Artillery must be destroyed.
Build mech in western of four bases.
Move fighter three east, one south.
Finish capturing cities. Begin capturing northwestern city.
Attack anti-air with Mid Tank. Mid Tank must not take visible damage from counter.
Anti-air should be left with 1 HP for best results.
Attack artillery with tank.
Join infantry to 1 HP infantry. (do not move 1 HP infantry first - this makes a more enticing target, sparing your tanks.)
Move final infantry three north.
Build tanks from central base and northwestern base.

Day 10: Important points are as follows.
-Olaf should build a bomber and nothing else.
-Destroy one of Olaf's two battle copters.
-Join the healthy mech to the damaged mech.
-Attack the infantry that captured the base with both of your infantry. Do not destroy it.
-Destroy Olaf's artillery with a tank, then destroy his rocket in one hit with
your Mid Tank. It *must* have 9 HP remaining to do this!
-Damage Olaf's closest anti-air with a tank so that his retreating anti-air joins with it.
-Move the fighter all the way east.
-Build a recon from the westernmost base, two mechs from your starting bases, and either an anti-air or a tank from the central base.
-Do NOT destroy Olaf's transport copter today or tomorrow!
-Do NOT destroy any infantry or weaken them to the point where they join together!
-Do NOT deal damage to Olaf's tank from now on - it must remain at 3 HP so its behavior remains more predictable.

Day 11: Important points are as follows.
-Olaf should only build on the bases he captured from you. You must be able to destroy those units with your anti-air and mechs.
-Destroy whatever Olaf builds on your bases and move your fighter towards that area.
-Destroy Olaf's APC in one attack with your Mid tank.
-Destroy both anti-airs with tank/anti-air attacks.
-Damage infantry, but do *not* destroy any or get them to join! This will only result in more units being built on Olaf's turn!
-Do NOT destroy the battle copter.
-Do NOT destroy the transport copter. Damaging it is fine, however.
-Build an APC on your eastern starting base, do not move anything that will block the bomber or battle copter from attacking it. Build either a Mid Tank or a missile launcher in the west base. (Mid Tank is probably more reliable; Drake must build a missile.)
-Build anything from remaining bases - infantry at the least. Recons are probably best if you have the funds.

The *last* thing you should do on the turn is deal with the infantry near
your starting bases. Do *not* do anything with either of your infantry just yet!

Save, then attack with the healthier infantry and end turn. See what the damaged infantry does, and then reload and move the weaker infantry so that it will be able to attack the enemy infantry when Blizzard is in effect next turn, as you will likely get the same movement.

If using Drake, however, you don't have this luxury. You must instead move an infantry one southeast of your east base - if this blocks off the battle copter, reload. And Olaf's infantry must not try to capture the south city next turn.

Day 12: You must finish now. You must not have lost anything other than three APCs.
Olaf must have *only* built from the bases he captured from you, most likely he will build an APC and rocket.

Use your CO power. You'll need it. (If using Eagle, do all non-infantry attacks first, then use CO Power and do attacks with infantry and reactivated units.)

First, to destroy the units near your starting bases:
-If you built a Mid Tank: Use fighter to destroy bomber, anti-air to destroy battle copter, infantry to destroy infantry, mechs and Mid Tank to destroy newly-built units. (You may be able to make the final blow on one with an infantry if need be.)
-If you built a missile: Use missile to destroy bomber, fighter to destroy battle copter (if doing this with Drake, you will need to also attack the battle copter with an infantry and rely on luck damage), mechs and anti-air to destroy newly-built units, infantry to destroy infantry.

For the rest of the units - you will probably need to use a Mid Tank and a tank to destroy Olaf's recovering Mid Tank. Check your unit list at this point and build to ensure you have made at least 28 units (attack with newly-built units first so you can build from those bases.

Destroy the infantry, transport copter, and 3 HP tank with whatever units are available. If using Eagle, activate Lightning Strike and destroy whatever remains.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:42 am

This is what I managed to get it down to with Kanbei.

I made the mistake of weakening the Mid Tank as soon as it attacked with an Artillery and Tank. I should have used my APCs to distract it for a turn and weakened it the next turn instead.

Also, because I can't afford to build an anti-air and all the other stuff I need fast enough, I can't seem to avoid destroying Olaf's first battle copter. (Without it messing me up in various other ways. >_<) This means no bomber. If I could get Olaf to build a bomber on the right day, I'd have this in the bag.

Still, having gotten that close, I think this is doable.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:51 pm

Last turn screens:

Some luck is needed for the tank and the bomber.

I ended up taking out that weak anti-air with a recon and two infantry. I didn't have anything else that could manage it.

I didn't build anything more expensive than an anti-air. Fortunately, on this run Olaf decided to build a bomber, which is one of the key points to making the rout easier. The other points are weakening the Mid Tank to 1 or 2 HP on Day 8, and destroying everything Olaf builds from the starting bases (and he shouldn't build anywhere else once his Mid Tank gets back to base). With all those in place, this was entirely doable.

I only just managed Technique, though. I lost three units and had to block one of my bases to attack the battle copter, good thing I made sure to capture the airport or I would have been just short of the 28 units needed.

Now Grit's the only one we need to figure something out for. Luckily, he doesn't have Kanbei's income woes here, so he shouldn't have it too bad.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:12 pm

I'm starting to seriously think we may just pull off all 200 combinations now. The only CO in question on Land's End is Grit, and at this point I'm pretty confident I'll be able to figure something out for him. And while there are other very tight maps, I don't think any of them are going to require as utterly insane a strategy to perfect.

Anybody else starting to think we may just pull this one off?
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:20 am

I'll let you know when I look at some of the other maps.