Looking for someone to test against

The board for competitive Advance Wars battling.
Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:11 pm

Glad to see you guys are learning so much, and don't worry so much about a loss Corduroys. My current Win-Loss percentage is actually at 46% right now, meaning I've lost more than I've won, but it doesn't discourage me in the least because I've learned many, many things in the process. Even if you lose the next time, and even the time after that, don't get discouraged.

Just note your mistakes, think about what units or build orders could've been most prudent in retrospect, and play against the CPU on good maps to practice your capture phase. The AI this time around actually plays quite solidly in terms of securing the right properties and going about it the right way, so it's a good way to learn although actually fighting the AI beyond the capture phase won't net you much practice at all.

Delta_Angelfire

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Indeed. Though I do enjoy Fog of War...

Edit: Anywho, I think that's good for me for tonight. I look forward to more battles tomorrow!
Edit more: Also, I need to remember there's no technique score when playing against other players. Must learn to "meatshield" better.
Last edited by Delta_Angelfire on Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Corduroys

Post by Corduroys » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:16 pm

At least for this game I have people to play against :)

As for fog, I don't like it so much against the AI, but that might be a habit from other games since the AI cheated before and doesn't now. I think fog would actually help Tabitha because if you load her in a rocket and put the rocket in woods, it could be potentially easy to charge the CO meter.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:01 am

Honestly, going from playing the AI to playing vs. humans, you need to break so many bad habits from what I've seen, it isn't even funny. Not being able to walk over the enemy is often a big shock for people, and most people play incredibly poorly the first few times they play someone better then them.

The biggest thing IMO, is playing people better then you, and mimicking what they do. If they beat you, they did something better then you, just remember what that was for either the next time you face them, or when you come into a similar situation.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:53 am

If they beat you, they did something better then you

Or they randomed Sandstorm with Penny :o

Corduroys

Post by Corduroys » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:42 am

Sven wrote:Honestly, going from playing the AI to playing vs. humans, you need to break so many bad habits from what I've seen, it isn't even funny. Not being able to walk over the enemy is often a big shock for people, and most people play incredibly poorly the first few times they play someone better then them.

The biggest thing IMO, is playing people better then you, and mimicking what they do. If they beat you, they did something better then you, just remember what that was for either the next time you face them, or when you come into a similar situation.
hit the nail on the head for me and Delta's match >.<

Delta_Angelfire

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:30 am

Allright, I'm up for matches again. My Tabitha vs your ? ? ? on a DoR modified "A Simple 1 vs 1" if that sounds good (trying a map with fewer chokes)

Mike99

Post by Mike99 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:36 am

ill battle you though im new too this board

my FC is 498340 733465

Delta_Angelfire

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:38 am

sounds good. my FC is on the first page. I'll host

Mike99

Post by Mike99 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:08 am

ok you win your very good ill practice more and come back later sorry my battery died :!:

Mike99

Post by Mike99 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:08 am

so very very sorry i cant say sorry enough

Mike99

Post by Mike99 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:09 am

you won anyway you played very well again i cant say sorry enough

Delta_Angelfire

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:13 am

gg.

The south was pretty much mine. an AA cleared it out pretty well and a couple bikes scored me the factory. Three meatshields and a rocket were ready to protect support my center front

The north had a fight between my Tank, a couple bikes (one of which was tabitha's), and a duster against AA, Artillery. and a couple more bikes. The Tabitha bike manage to stall out the capture of the north factory and keep us both fighting over it.

My center was kind of weak though, and my income was less than I would have liked. The one tank manage to hold out against the swarm of bikes, an AA and Artillery pretty well. When you dropped the Isabella Tank in there I though for sure you'd take the center, but I'd get the sides.

Anywho, it was fun for me, hope it was for you to. I think it could've still been a nice fight. :-)

Edit: ah, batteries. the bane of all existence. S'all right, like I said, it was fun. You still had me quite worried a good amount of the time (I always seemed to be behind in properties :-/). Time for dinner, I'll be back later.

2chaotic

Post by 2chaotic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:59 am

I put my code in the sticky and added everyone on the list...

I'd like a test battle against anyone here who isn't a mindless (insert noobish word here).

I'll host for about 30 min...

Delta_Angelfire

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:44 pm

gg - I trust you weren't disappointed? Although next time, a map with an FTA counter would be good too :-)

2chaotic

Post by 2chaotic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm

No disappointment there. Didn't expect a Tabitha flare with mechs rush though...

Next time i won't make that mistake again... GG

Delta_Angelfire

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:01 pm

I think flares are pretty underrated when FoW is off... It's a recon for rough terrain really (when you can't quite afford that tank). That and Tabby turns any base damage of 65 or more (which the flare has a lot of strangely enough) or more into a OHKO. It can also take down an AA if it gets the first strike.

GaoGaoStegosaurus

Post by GaoGaoStegosaurus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:26 pm

Delta_Angelfire wrote:I think flares are pretty underrated when FoW is off... It's a recon for rough terrain really (when you can't quite afford that tank). That and Tabby turns any base damage of 65 or more (which the flare has a lot of strangely enough) or more into a OHKO. It can also take down an AA if it gets the first strike.
Yup, it's an underrated unit that works wonders for defensive purposes. As long as your opponent cannot counter with a Tank quickly enough, Flare decisively out-classes enemy frontline Recons and gun down infantry units very efficiently during early game.
AWDoR FC: 077433-428775

"Dimensional index rising, nonlinear oscillator producing fluid bifur...BOOM!" - Penny

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:26 am

I ****ing love Flares.

If they had 6 movement they'd be ridiculously good even as attackers, 5 restricts them to recon defence.

edit also 12 hour difference exactly

and i'm up for a game

OoV

Post by OoV » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:26 am

I'm up for a game tonight, if you don't mind my utter noobness =p
FC is in the sticky
AW:DoR FC: 159039376164