The "Treed's So Cool!" Topic

The board for competitive Advance Wars battling.
Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:25 am

I know that honeybunches.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:44 am

lol win by disconnect

Of course, I'm still marking that down as a loss, because you were kicking my ass in every possible way; I guess I need to actually think of a clever plan next time like you did. I must say, those Missiles shocked the hell out of me.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:44 am

Damn disconnects. :S.

As you saw, the map was a stalemate map. The point is basically to build your advantage until day 25 or so, where you then proceed to make a break for the opponent's weakest property point.

6 range, five movement, I'm quite impressed by them.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 am

The map is very similar to Shin Sen Sluice Sven dear >_> I'm rather surprised you made a map with a rather empty center, but regardless, I still enjoyed it. I still need a lot of practice in and outside of FoW, but this match taught me a lot.

Oh, and next time I'm using Penny in FoW just to spite you.
Last edited by Treedweller on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:49 am

Why didn't I notice?

Perhaps because the map we used had more funding, and was based on a single choke. The fire probably helped too.

I never liked Shoals. >_>.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:52 am

The fires were a very unique map mechanic, and I must say, they gave this map a very interesting flavour. Everytime I attempted to push forward towards your indirects, the Fire helped to reveal the majority of my attack force, forcing me to retreat/rebuild quite often. Defensive play and clever use of funding is what wins this map, and I liked how the funds were set to 1500 so we could have an interesting battle while at the same time only having to capture a few properties.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am

My main concern was FTA and it was handled nicely enough.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:56 am

Well, because it was so small, Infantry was a fine counter, so I wouldn't have worried about it even before actually testing it honey.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:57 am

So that map was your favourite out of the bunch?

Are there any others that particularly catch your eye?

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Straight and Strangle look particularly good out of that bunch, and I'd place them close seconds after Trix. At least from a glance they look varied, interesting, and spacious enough for a good battle, and they look like the FTA counter *should* work.

However, now that I've gotten a better look, I really don't like Canal. It will invariably be affected by FTA and Recon abuse by player one, and it's almost impossible to recover if players are of approximately equal skill (meaning if you and I played, and I was player one, you'd likely be able to recover, but if you were playing against someone better you'd stand no chance as player 2). Yeah, you can abuse mechs and stuff, but if I've hindered your growth enough, you're going to have problems I think. Even if FTA doesn't turn out to be a major concern, I still don't think I'd enjoy playing on it very much at all. Also the port and HQ placements aren't aesthetically pleasing.

As for Pounce, yeah, it's a solid map considering you were obviously working with the 10x10 limit in mind, but it's going to play out as a defensive battle though you were clever enough to work in 9000 funds (which means a player can afford a Tank and Infantry while filling both bases). However, it's kind of claustrophobic so that might not work out so well, but still, the best 10x10 map I've seen yet.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:21 pm

Agreed, Canal is one of the worst of the bunch, it's not aesthetically pleasing at all, the symmetry is too exact.

And Pounce is basically "yeah 10x10 sucks".