I need enemies! MORE ENEMIES

The board for competitive Advance Wars battling.
Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:16 am

whirly whirly whirly

make him play whirly

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:25 am

Me?

I'm whirly from hearing whirly.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:05 am

NO WHIRLY!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:11 am

Overplayed map is overplayed.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:26 am

still better then the crumpets indie maps you play

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:55 am

I'm up for another game, either 1v1 or 4-man or whatever. You are more familiar eith the maps, so go ahead and pick what you like.. I'll just need to be much more observant in this regard.
"The only superpower you can get from a radioactive spider is leukiemia

And that is a ****ty superpower"

-Kuribo's Shoe, PA forums

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:59 am

nerd-boy wrote:This or this.

>__>
Or this >_>

Note: none of those maps are particularly straightforward, but they are more so than Dizziness. >_>

Oh, and leave comments. >_>
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:12 am

I'm not fond of seaside pass, but the other two maps look fine. Erosion looks odd until you mentally divide the map into quadrants, at which point it's easy to see the choke points

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 am

I've made a new game on Erosion. Bans as Nerd Boy suggested (Broken 5, Sami).

Name: Space And The Woods
Password: lateofthepier
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:28 pm

I'm not in a position to start any turns right at this moment, as my father and I have something of a 1984-big-brother-esque relationship, and he, in his infinite technophobia (he's 70, folks) universally despises video-games because he feels they waste my (and every one else's) time. Curiously, he doesn't feel this way about internet checkers, backgammon, and Chessmaster 9000...

(Sidenote: he has a fanatical obsession with chess, which leads to the unusual situation where I enjoy turn-based-strategy, but am far less enthused by chess. But to be fair, imagine, if you would, that at the highest levels of AW play, you had to commit to memory the first 15 moves (including branching variations if your opponent performs different action) you made on a certain map... and that your game was pretty much guaranteed to take at least 3 hours to finish, (not so bad, until you realize that means sitting for 4+ hours in front of a table, waiting for your opponent to do stuff, seeing as you can't read or do anything during your games; as it can constitute "cheating") if not far more. Also, imagine you're playing on predeployed maps only, and that there's only one friendly property repairing, so once you fall behind, you have almost no chance of coming back what-so-ever unless your opponent makes a totally bone-head mistake, and you have high-level chess. Fun, eh?)

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:36 pm

No problem, there's no rush. Such is the advantage of AWBW.

And the 'committing to memory the first 15 moves' actually happens on some maps in AW. >_>

Often, a superior capturing strategy will win the day before the fight even starts, but when two skilled players know the ins and outs of the map, their openings will often be almost identical. Of course, this doesn't happen to the same extent as chess, but there is a slight element of it.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 am

are you kidding me

on the popular maps all AW is is openings

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:37 am

yes, but how many moves deep? 10? 15? how many variations per map are actually recorded? 2, 3, more? and most importantly, is this victory impossible without this knowledge?

In the opening I typically play in chess (The Pirc, for those who wish to know) there are 7 possible main variations; I have to use a specific move order just to prevent the game from cycling into three of these, thus reducing the amount of study required just to keep up with white. the remaining 4 variations are typically known at least 15 moves in, at which point I tend to say "fudge it" and go with whatever seems most suitable for the situation. Even then, there's a tremendous amount of study (which is about as uninteresting as it sounds) required, and I also need to know an auxiliary opening incase the opponent tries to go for the three openings I try to avoid. What this amounts to is a huge amount of memorization. while analyzing openings can be fun, having damn near the first half of a game be memorization is not enjoyable. it's not strategy, it's memorization.

Can you say that something much like the above is true for AW?
Last edited by Milquetoast Thug on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:38 am

Oh come on, Chess is pretty fun.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:55 am

It is, at the casual level. But, at any sort of competitive level of play, it take a tremendous investment of time and energy to learn the insides and outs of a opening system. it's like if I had to study from a book for 2 hours in order to learn a build order in Starcraft. It's just more of an investment than I consider worth. granted, these complaints might all be the result of living in a household where deviating from opening theory causes one's father to get in your face...

...on a lighter note, can you imagine what it will be like when the really fanatically competitive gamers try to introduce their children to the games they played...

"No, no, no, NO!" 7 SCV's you build the supply depot, then the barracks! no, not in your base, wall the choke! you want to get pwned by zealots? Omg, my son is such a fudge noob..."

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:36 am

I've played Chess at a pretty competitive level. I think your father's just being a tad too strict about it.

And I suck at Starcraft because I'm more worried to make my base look organized and functional than I am about annihilating my opponent.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:56 am

To get back to the original question though, just how complicated is opening theory on the really popular maps these days?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:14 pm

It really depends on the maps and how much they've been played.

Several maps now have perfect capturing strategies so that if you don't follow it, you lose. However, other maps have several more options.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:53 pm

Huh. Is this information archived anywhere?

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:02 pm

Not to my knowledge.
What can change the nature of a man?

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:33 pm

Apart from deep within the recesses of competitive players' minds.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Hmm. If you'd like a game against somebody with a knowledge of the online game closer to your own, I'd be happy to take you on. I'd still be asking Fal for map recommendations, though. <_<

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:34 am

My only Battle on aWBW I can remember, Is when I face bog on a map which had first turn advatage. He was first player.

I lost.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:30 am

once you get to a high enough level, one wrong move and you lose.

till then enjoy the ride of improvement

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:21 am

Terragent wrote:Hmm. If you'd like a game against somebody with a knowledge of the online game closer to your own, I'd be happy to take you on. I'd still be asking Fal for map recommendations, though. <_<
Yeah, that sound fun.

Also, Sven, your cynical demeanor, when combined with your avatar, are remarkably intimidating.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:48 am

Terragent wrote:Hmm. If you'd like a game against somebody with a knowledge of the online game closer to your own, I'd be happy to take you on. I'd still be asking Fal for map recommendations, though. <_<
You realize that I was suggesting many of the maps, right?

Course, they were all self-plugs, but still >_>
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:28 am

Yeah, I want to play too so count me in on any plans you might have. Maybe we could even have a small tournament.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:31 am

MISSON START!

I've always wanted to say that...

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:35 am

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:37 am

Winding Cliff annoys me >_>

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 am

Eh, I only linked to one of the winding maps because Yugi would moan at me if not.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:53 am

Permit me to moan at you >_>

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:16 am

I can't exactly stop you. :P

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:04 am

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:53 am

Hey, we could hold a small tournament. Get thefalman to use his powers here.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:59 am

I'd like to join the party, if possible.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:08 pm

Damn, we might as well start another thread for a tournament, or something...

On a completely unrelated note, you know what would be a good altenate musical theme for adder? This song.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:56 pm

It's on.

Now, we need someone to create the topic...

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 pm

DTaeKim wrote:It's on.

Now, we need someone to create the topic...
uh..

NOT IT!

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:26 pm

time to own everyone

again