Intersite Speedleague.

The board for competitive Advance Wars battling.
CO_Frosty

Intersite Speedleague.

Post by CO_Frosty » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:48 am

Kudos and credit to Smackcakes for the first speedleague and for the awesome idea.

apparently, the number of active players on the AW sites are slowly decreasing and being focused on CW and AWBW. With that in mind, I have decided to extend a speedleague I was doing at AWB to AWN, with no success, and now I am including AWRev and WWN...and see if we can hopefully get 16 players.

If you don't know what a speedleague, I will explain:

This is how it works. First of all the players sign up. I need either 9 or 16 players to start the league. After the signups, I will divide you on 3 groups of 3/4 (depending on the ammount of people). I will also give a map with the settings that you MUST obey, or the game can be counted as loss. Everybody will battle against the other members of the group and the results will be counted in the end, with victories being worth 3 points, draw 1 point and loss 0 points. On the preliminary round (the first one), all first places of the groups will be coupled on group 1, the second places on group 2 and the third places on group 3, etc etc etc. After that, the actual rounds will begin. After each round, the first of the group advances to the next group and the last place will go down one group. The first place of the first group will be declared champion of that round and will have his name on the hall of fame, while the last place of the last group will leave the league and other player will go on his place, while the player that left will have his name put on the waiting list and will join the league again when time is due, if he wants to.

Please notice that the signups are always open. If you are interested in joining the league even after it started, just post here or PM me and I will post your name on the waiting list. Every round one (or even more, if a new group can be formed) player will get in, so eventually you will join the league.

I will choose, from the 4 sites, either 9 or 16 players, based mostly on activeness and ability. So sign up anyway, OK?

Round 1:

The Groups

Group 1:

Code: Select all

Psychotic Guy------W W W
The_Roses_Thorn----L L W
Mayojjin-----------L W W
Terrorboy----------L L L
Group 2:

DTaeKim--------O O O 
Mextex---------O O O
Darth Hawke----O O O
Gameshark------O O O
Group 3:

Kireato----------W W W
D13--------------L W W
ひどい--------------L L O
Crow T. Robot----O L L
Group 4

Thefalman------W W W
Emo-------------L W O
Gurgeh---------L L L
Machrineith----L O W
Maps and Settings

Map: Urban and Rural
Link: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=15828
Weather: Clear
Fow: No
Funds: 1000
Starting Funds: 0000
CO Bans: Colin, Grit, Hachi, Kanbei, Sami and Sensei. No other COs can be banned.
Unit bans: Bbomb
Boot and AET: They aren't working anyway, so you set them the way you want.

How to contact your opponent

a) PM me the link and I will PM it to your opponent on his forum

b ) If you want to do it yourself, here is where you can find each player:

AWN:
D13
Crow T. Robot
Gurgeh
Thefalman
got chicken?/Emo/The Chickenmeister

AWB:
Mextex
Machrineith
Got chicken/emo/The Chickenmeister

AWRev:
The_Roses_Thorn
ひどい
Darth Hawke

WWN:
Gameshark
Thefalman
Gurgeh
Mayojjin
Psychotic Guy
Terrorboy
DTaeKim
Kireato

The Games:

Group 1:
Psychotic Guy vs The_Roses_Thorn - Psychotic Guy won
Psychotic Guy vs Mayojjin - Psychotic Guy won
Psychotic Guy vs Terrorboy - Psychotic Guy won
The_Roses_Thorn vs Mayojjin - Mayojjin won
The_Roses_Thorn vs Terrorboy - The_Roses_Thorn won
Mayojjin vs Terrorboy - Mayojjin won

Group 2:

DTaeKim vs Mextex
DTaeKim vs Darth Hawke
Gameshark vs Darth Hawke
DTaeKim vs Gameshark
Mextex vs Darth Hawke
Mextex vs Gameshark

Group 3:
Kireato vs D13 - Kireato won
Kireato vs Crow T. Robot - Kireato won
Kireato vs ひどい- Kireato won
D13 vs Crow T. Robot - D13 won
D13 vs ひどい - D13 won
Crow T. Robot vs ひどい - ひどい won

Group 4:

Thefalman vs Emo - Thefalman won
Thefalman vs Gurgeh - Thefalman won
Thefalman vs Machrineith - Thefalman won
Emo vs Gurgeh - Emo won by boot
Emo vs Machrineith
Gurgeh vs Machrineith - Machrineith won by boot

Waiting List:
- Yugioh15
-ThrawnFett
Last edited by CO_Frosty on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 15 times in total.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:16 am

I think I signed up on AWN but yeah.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

mayojjin

Post by mayojjin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:41 am

sign me up

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:51 am

Sure.
What can change the nature of a man?

Gameshark

Post by Gameshark » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:03 am

Might as well.

The_Roses_Thorn

Post by The_Roses_Thorn » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:52 am

I signed up over at awRev
http://www.awrev.com/forums/index.php?s ... #entry2097

Uh... posting this here so you guys would see it.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:10 am

http://www.awbunker.com/forums/index.ph ... 25955&st=0
http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/in ... ntry676218

Here are the other topics

To answer your question on AWRev, TRT, there is no "main thread". If it proves to be a problem, I will create a forum for that...althought that may be too much, or just make AWB's the main thread, since I have mod powers there.

But until any problems arises, I will try to keep a thread on each forum (I am waiting for the validation e-mail for AWRev as we speak) and keep all four updated and such. You can always visit the other forum if you want to have some trashtalking and such.

Kir

Post by Kir » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Err...Any spot left?

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:43 pm

Yeah, sign me up if there's room after Kir.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:55 am

There are still 2 spots left after you two signed up for all 4 sites, so don't worry.

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:34 am

Yay. ^_^
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:22 am

I'll Join...
Meh, I feel Mellow for some reason 8)

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:52 am

aaaand the signups for round 1 are closed. All the players that sign up will be move to a waiting list that will determinate who will join the league on the next rounds.

Here are the players:

Mextex
Got chicken/Emo/The Chickenmeister
Machrineith

Crow T. robot
D13
Psychotic Guy

The_Roses_Thorn
ひどい
DarthHawke

Thefalman
Mayojjin
DTaeKim
Gameshark
Kireato
Gurgeh
Terrorboy

I will take the place of any player that drops out for any reason, just in case.

First Round starts in a couple hours (read: as soon as I decide the map and the settings <__< >__>)

psychotic guy

Post by psychotic guy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:22 am

WOAHZ, so you mean I have to fight 2 other people at the same time? (though in different games)

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:27 am

It's good enough for the World Cup, so I'm sure it's good enough for Advance Wars.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:44 am

Actually, you have to battle 3 at once <_<. But you can always battle only 2 and then the other. The rounds usually take a bunch of time to be completed anyway.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:58 am

Y'know, we'll probably want contact details for people. Otherwise things might get a bit chaotic.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:04 am

Actually, I will do that when I finish (read: start) making the groups.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:08 am

Round 1:

The Groups

Group 1:
Psychotic Guy
The_Roses_Thorn
Mayojjin
Terrorboy

Group 2:
DTaeKim
Mextex
Darth Hawke
Gameshark

Group 3:
Kireato
D13
ひどい
Crow T. Robot

Group 4
Thefalman
got chicken?/emo/The Chickenmeister
Gurgeh
Machrineith

Maps and Settings

Map: Urban and Rural
Link: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=15828
Weather: Clear
Fow: No
Funds: 1000
Starting Funds: 0000
CO Bans: Colin, Grit, Hachi, Kanbei, Sami and Sensei. No other COs can be banned.
Unit bans: Bbomb
Boot and AET: They aren't working anyway, so you set them the way you want.

How to contact your opponent

a) PM me the link and I will PM it to your opponent on his forum

b) If you want to do it yourself, here is where you can find each player:

AWN:
D13
Crow T. Robot
Gurgeh
Thefalman

AWB:
Mextex
Machrineith
Got chicken/emo/The Chickenmeister

AWRev:
The_Roses_Thorn
ひどい
Darth Hawke

WWN:
Gameshark
Thefalman
Gurgeh
Mayojjin
Psychotic Guy
Terrorboy
DTaeKim
Kireato
--------------

If you have any doubts/complains, say it, OK?

psychotic guy

Post by psychotic guy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:55 am

oya and game infos just because I feel like putting it on a forum post too

Encountered an Assailent
beattitudeforgains

Gogo powah rangerz
megazord

Idontbelieveittheyvegotanotherbitch
donpachi

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:30 am

I will PM the first one to TRT, so don't join it <_<. The other two players are from WWN, so I don't think I need to warn them.

EDIT: Actually, I PMed each one to a different competitor, so no problem here.

mayojjin

Post by mayojjin » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:49 am

I already joined the first one >_>

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:55 am

Lovely <_<

I sent another PM to TRT, so that shouldn't be a problem <_<;.

The_Roses_Thorn

Post by The_Roses_Thorn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:49 am

For the record, I can be gotten to on any of the forums. I have accounts at each, and through the magic of tabs have each of them as my homepage. I joined the 2nd one btw.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:04 am

Lol. Only the hideously broken COs are banned. If you want to use Sturm when there are roads leading to any place you want, be my guest. Unless it is proven to be broken, it will stay unbanned.

have fun.

psychotic guy

Post by psychotic guy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:05 am

Sturm is broken thanks to his capture phase + uber recons that can rape the opponent's capture phase (every other CO will take a loooong time to reach the bases compared to recon rapage speed).

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:17 am

I know that, and it feels like a broken record.

Show me any important point a Sturm recon can go faster than a regular recon on this map. The distance from your bases to the opponent's bases will be covered on the same time by all COs. You will need three turns to reach the base + airport base and the lone neutral base. You will need two days to reach the central cities, and the only property Sturm can get to earlier is the opposite corner center city, and, unless you screw your capture phase by buying recons this early, the opponent will get there faster anyway.

And his capture phase will be the same, since there aren't mountains enough to hinder infantries to the point of an extra turn, except for the airport, but that will make such a difference <_<.

I am positive that Sturm won't be more overpowered on this map than Kindle, Sasha, Rachel or even Max. On the map analysis thing Sturm never won a battle on that map and it was used some tourneys before this one.

I repeat, unless Sturm decides the outcome of a battle for sure or prove me that it does, you can all pick Sturm and get FTA screwed or FTA blessed, since double Sturm enhances FTA like crazy.

psychotic guy

Post by psychotic guy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:55 am

Sturm takes 3 moves to reach center base. Normal CO takes 4. Sturm can then rape the center faster with his mass walls of infantry going there.

Sturm can recon rape corners. Normal CO will have to divert more funds to create a tank or something. And Sturm can tank rape corners better than normal CO too. You could make a Max argument if you want, but ok.

Sturm. Infantry. 1 movement cost. Rape. He'll totally pwn infantry battles by outmaneuvering and getting super terrain better than opponent.

And meteor rapes.

Rachel sucks cuz her missiles can be infantry diamond'd.

Kindle, lol, um, crumpets.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:28 pm

Erm, you're allowing Sasha? And Kindle? Eek.

EDIT: Games made.

vs Fal
Name: Purely psychosomatic
Password: psychiatrist

vs The Chickenmeister
Name: I feel strangely hypnotised

vs Machrineith
Name: To an optometrist!

I'll contact fal and chicken boy, but could you tell Machrineith please, Frosty?
Last edited by Terragent on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:30 pm

1) Center base? Do you mean the center cities? Except for the city closer to your opponent, any CO can get a recon on any of the cities in 2 days. Any CO will need 3 days to get the opposite side's middle base and 3 days to get to the lone base. The only property Sturm may get faster is the center city near the opponent...and he will probably capture it before you manage to do that.

2) Point...or half of it. The recons will attack infantries on cities. His low attack won't do squat. He may be good at getting there...but he is very poor at taking those infantries out.

3) Where? On the center filled with roads and cities...you know, terrains with 1 movement cost? Maybe on the corners, where all infantries will be on cities or mountains anyway.

Roads are the big boys of this map....the main battle will revolve around them, and Sturm fails on them. He loses even getting first strike and he will never take out an unit on the center city in a reasonable ammount of time. I admit that he does have an advantage, but several other COs have an advantage as well. Every round, I will only ban COs that break the map and assures a victory...I don't want to ban all the brokens and the overpowered and the CO with little advantages...only the brokens.

@Gurgeh:

Good lord, people love to freak out. The bans really are just the necessary one (read: the brokens). You may think that Sasha and Kindle are broken, but some other people don't, therefore I won't ban them and it's up to you people to prove that said CO is overpowered on said map.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:41 pm

*shrugs*

Sasha's a league above most COs, especially in a one-on-one fight. I'd put her just below Kanbei in the overpowered-ness scale.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:48 pm

Well...the first round of AWBW's Speedleague was a Rachelfest. I think finding out who is the better CO and using that to your advantage is part of the package. If that wasn't true, I would never discovered the awesomeness of Vonny-poo :3.

I will go PM Machrineith.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:55 pm

That's stupid. There are some COs - including the ones you've banned - who have so much of an advantage that skill becomes either irrelevant or much less important. I would say that Sasha and Rachel are definitely two of those COs, because 'infantry diamonds' are ridiculously unfeasible and are pretty unreliable anyway. Games with those COs in them aren't fun or competitive, they're just a one-sided thrashing.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Eh, not really, it just forces you to play the game at a higher 'tier' than you would normally.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:01 pm

Well yeah, but if the only way to stay competitive is to use a CO at the same level as the dangerous COs then you find yourself very limited in your selection.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Granted, but in a game with imperfect balance, what else are you going to do?

Oh, and I've posted (and will shortly PM) my AWB opponents the details, but for posterity:

Got Chicken?

Name = Heartache Of Soccer Moms
Pass = :(

Machrineith

Name = Hunt Hunters
Pass = :(

Oh, and one question Frosty: Is this like the first round of the AWBW speedleague where the intention was to divide us into groups based on skill?

Edit:
Vs. Machrineith: http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=53835

Vs. Terr: http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=53828