I need enemies! MORE ENEMIES

The board for competitive Advance Wars battling.
Milquetoast Thug

I need enemies! MORE ENEMIES

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:10 am

I'm new to this community, and, by proxy, AWBW. Thus, I want to give it go! but, this requires opponents...

In other words, I'm requesting someone to 1v1 with in AWBW, to help me get the hang of the mechanic and differences between it and standard AW.
"The only superpower you can get from a radioactive spider is leukiemia

And that is a ****ty superpower"

-Kuribo's Shoe, PA forums

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:43 pm

Uh, I guess this is where I step up.

Set up a game, or shall I?
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Trust me. fal could probably beat you half asleep.

Happened to me once >_>

I could play with you, being of !fal skill.

But if you insist on playing him, just make sure to ban Adder.

Also >_>
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Oh don't say that, the last time that happened I lost lol.

Granted, the so-called 'new player' was Sven in disguise, but still.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:37 pm

Yes, but the last (read: only) time I played you, you Samipwn'd me.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:39 pm

I can't remember that game. But I guess it must've happened at some point lol.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:49 pm

I think it was when the league was just starting up, right before the reset.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:00 pm

Adder is broken lol?

Xen

Post by Xen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:49 pm

No, Fal is broken.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:16 am

I choose you, falman. As in following the proud fighting game tradition of my peoples, you may whomever you like (play adder if you want), sans the broken 4 (is it Grit, Colin, Hachi, and Kanbei? or is it Grit, Hachi, Colin, and Nell?) anyways, anyone except them is fine. I'm not banning them because I believe in the conceits of "cheap", but mostly because I don't feel like having a boring Colin v. Colin "neotanks spam lol" match.

one further question to mull over: does Olaf's snow work AW2 or AWDS style? It's only relevant on air/naval maps, but still...

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:08 am

2, I believe.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:43 am

damn this guy almost has english skills rivaling my own

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:26 am

Yeah, it's AW2 style Snow.

Got a game name and password for me? Or shall I make it?

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:54 am

i want a link

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:12 pm

thefalman wrote:Yeah, it's AW2 style Snow.

Got a game name and password for me? Or shall I make it?
Seeing as how I'm unfamiliar with the mechanics of AWBW matchmaking, You'll have to do it.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Oh, sure thing. I'll pick a map, if you're not happy with it then make a suggestion I guess.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:17 pm

This or this.

>__>

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:19 pm

I'll have to try those some time, but I picked Dizziness lol.

Name: thefalman vs. Milequetoast Thug (yes, I spelt your username wrong, sorry >_>)
Password: blah

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Damn >_>

Actually, fal, if you wanna play me, I'll playtest this with ya.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Excellent

uh.

How do I join?

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:22 pm

• Go to the Private Games waiting list
    Scroll down to the game with that name (or use the find function)
    Press 'Join'
    Choose a CO, and type in the correct password.
    Wait for fal to start the game.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:29 pm

Game's started:

http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=70802

If you need any help with the mechanics, just ask.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:31 pm

My God! My opponent's army is composed of sapient penguins! I am... I'm not certain what to make of this, really.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Don't mind them, they're just one of AWBW's custom armies lol.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Is there a time limit on how often we should perform our turns? I'm often not in a position to go online.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:02 pm

The only time limits are the boot and AET (automatic end turn) limits. In this case, both are set to 7 days.

The boot limit is how long you have before you lose the game. However, it resets every time you make any move within the game.

The AET limit is how long before your turn is automatically handed over to the next player. Unlike the boot limit, this will happen after 7 days, regardless of when you last moved a unit.

In short, as long as you can play your turns within a week, you'll be fine. If not, don't worry, I'll set up a game with longer limits next time.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:39 pm

Yes, a week is fine. I'm actually relieved at this because the longest you can set the timer for on http://weewar.com is three days, and sometimes I barely make the mark on that.

Also, I completely forgot that blackboats even existed at the start of this game. "what? he's going early naval expansion? Why, that's stupid - wait, that isn't a lander."

"crumpets."

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Hmm, FTA.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:47 pm

Nah, this map doesn't have FTA.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:04 pm

What's FTA?

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:10 pm

FTA = First Turn Advantage - i.e. the inherent advantage that going first gives you in a Turn Based Strategy game. You may have noticed I got an extra infantry to start out with, which is designed to counteract this.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Oh, that is just clever. I also wondered about how that would influence competitive play. As a on-again off-again competitive chess player, I know that white going first is enough of an advantage to give white damn near a extra 10% chance to win at the highest levels of play.

EDIT: WHAT THOSE TWO SHOALS ARE CONNECTED OH crumpets

EDIT AGAIN: I am never going to get used to the wordfilters

Xen

Post by Xen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:40 pm

EDIT AGAIN: I am never going to get used to the wordfilters
Just imagine everyone talking with a stereotypical english-tea-drinking-chap's accent and you'll be set. :)

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:35 am

Oh yes, I met this lovely little girl today, so we went to her place and had an amazing fudge. It was delightful! After that I took some crumpets and fed it to her mouth. Yum, delicious!

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:43 pm

The situation is unwinnable. Good game.

In the aftermath, you discover the opposing CO's log...

---

Day 1: Our our forces have been brought in to deal with an insurrection in some God-forsaken northern territory. I would have ordered Grit or Colin to deal with this, but it seems that they are currently under investigation for "crimes against balance", whatever that's supposed to mean. Damned politicians, hamstringing our forces in a time of need...

Day 2: Base camp established and reconnoitering parties have been sent out.

Day 3: ...Ha. HA. AHAHAHA! Our foes are birds? PENGUINS? GWAHAHA! What A joke! Perhaps I shall requisition some orca whales to thin their ranks! HA!

Day 4: Contact has been lost with our first scouting group...

Day 5: ...It seems that our feathered enemies have made impressive advancements in small-arms and personal armor... I'm getting reports of upwards of 30 wounded, 8 confirmed kills on the enemy.

Day 6: Oh sweet winter! The enemy forces are being led by the infamous terrorist known only as "Adder." How? He was thought dead after the second war... This is bad. Flak was violent and barbaric, but foolish. Lash was cruel, but reckless. Hawke was dangerous... but rational. He could be reasoned with. But Adder?...

Adder was a monster. He killed thousands in Yellow Comet during the second great war...

...This situation is getting out of hand.

Day 8: There was a heated battle for the port city of Kelvin going on during the last two days. Seems to be going poorly. I believe we may have to abandon it to the enemy to avoid more useless deaths.

Day 9: Madness! madness and Deception! Our enemy has used a well hidden isthmus to bring mechanize units to bear on our mainland forces! We have lost the our Eastern bases, and the enemy is reportedly bringing in seaborne artillery to begin shelling our positions. Hopefully we will be able to muster a counter attack before spring thaw...

Day 11: I am making a bid to end this madness once and for all... I am sending a strike team to hopefully take their HQ, and core production faculties, and crush the backbone of the enemy's push towards us.

Day 13: The strike failed. Accursed animals. All personnel were evacuated and are now being reassigned to taking back Kelvin from the enemy.

Day 15: I used my... ability today.

Awoke in hospital ward. I'm getting too old for this...

Day 16: City of Kelvin successfully captured. Won a significant air engfnike

[illegible text]

Day 17: They're in base HQ, God help us, they're in base HQ!

Day 18: The situation is unwinnable. They have taken the HQ. Forced to withdraw from combat zone. Helicopter hit and nearly downed by enemy Anti-aircraft fire. Second in command killed by shrapnel.

Let them keep their icy rock.

Milquetoast Thug

Post by Milquetoast Thug » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:43 pm

Ok, on a more serious note...

I seriously thought that the islands in the middle were not connected by shoals; that is, that one would not be able to move ground units over them. consequentially, I picked a CO and had a strategy in mind that would be more useful for that sort of map (Olaf's abilities are most useful against air and naval units, and cruisers are only really useful if one is forced to use air or naval units to reach the enemy) Needless to say, I got screwed when I realized you could just sent AA's over the shoals into my base (where you would presumably kill my doods, of course) My only recourse by day 13 or so was to try to take back the skies in an effort to make them safe enough for my copters (and if everything had worked out, my bombers and stealths) to counter your high-end naval and ground units. But then you landed a BB next to my HQ, and promptly killed the only unit that could have wounded your infantry enough to let me drag the match out more.

Good Game, although I'm pissed enough about my inability to recognize the shoal-land-bridge to demand a rematch. :lol:

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:22 am

Heh, I like the CO log, rather creative of you!

And yeah, I guess I didn't pick the most straightforward map for you to start out with, sorry about that. :P
But sure, I'm up for a rematch, do you want to pick a map this time?

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:25 am

I challange thee to a duel!

Or whoever feels up to kicking a 13 year old's Butt all the way back to 11 years.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:27 am

I'd be wishing to restart battling. Maybe we can set up a 4P.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:36 am

Okay. That idea's good.