Anyone want to battle?

The board for competitive Advance Wars battling.
Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:58 am

O fudge WRONG ORDER

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:05 am

Also your base ^_^

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:15 am

Uh dear, I'm fighting a losing war, so I'm going to resign in a couple turns I think. Good game honey, you really handed my ass to me this time.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:22 am

Alright, no problem. I think the degree of familiarity with the map is helping, though it does play way differently then the other AW games.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:24 am

The combination of your inherent skill and ability to think on multiple fronts won the day I think, not so much your familiarity with the map.

Now to fix the FTA counter I forgot to add, lol.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:28 am

Don't sell yourself short, you aren't exactly bad yourself.

I think the main thing for you was you put your CO into a unit with an obvious counter, and considering it was an expensive unit, well, it locked out 20000 from each of us, but I was more then able to deal with it with a slightly better capturing phase.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:33 am

Yeah, I think I should've stuck Forscythe (or however you spell his retarded name) in a unit on the Western front (Recon or something) and just stuck with that; it also would've helped if I would've left one of my infantry behind at the beginning to fill my gunboat, since I would've had that Factory to the east a day sooner at the very least. Letting you make me waste upwards of 10 000 to save my HQ didn't particularly help my cause either, but I won't make that mistake twice, hee hee.

However, I'm learning how to handle maps like that better, so it was totally worth fighting an uphill battle even though I knew it was going to deteriorate in your favor as I progressed.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Decided to just leave the DS on in hosting mode in case anyone in the topic wants to play.

Just join up and I'll notice it in a couple minutes or so.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Joined lol.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 pm

oh my i check back and see you on the screen

what map?

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:35 pm

you pick

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:36 pm

hmm

let's go for pheasant again

pheasant->whirly->dizziness will be our rotation until we add more maps lol

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:37 pm

Sounds good dearest.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:40 pm

Let's go for fog next time we play, I really want to see how different it is with someone good.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Oooh, okay, sounds like fun ^_^

As for how good I am, lol, we'll see this time.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:42 pm

Oh, and obligatory EXPERIMENTAL FLARE

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:46 pm

Homestarrunner had a music video in a skit called experimental film once.

The chorus line was "THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL FILLLLLLLLLLLLLM"

The more you know.

Also jesus christ you don't know how o_o I feel when I leave a base empty. I'm wayyy out of my comfort zone at the moment.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Awww, you poor dear :( Also it seems Flares are perfect early Recon deterrents, eh?

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:49 pm

They do good damage to anything that costs less than them, and 5000g is a respectable price. The only issue I have with them is movement, but that's why they defend an area against recon attacks, not lead an attack themselves.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:51 pm

Yeah, and I'm surprised they're seeing use outside of FoW as useful defenders when the situation calls for it. I guess IS made their damage chart screwy enough that they're useful enough to play with every so often.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:57 pm

With infantry costs being so high, it's hard to accumulate any amount of extra funding for when you finally want a first tank.

It means that recons are much more prominent, and by extension, flares. The moment a tank hits the field though, they're useless.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:09 pm

Uh oh, that was not a good risk.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Where are we without risk? :)

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:16 pm

A stalemate that could've possibly shifted in my favor ;_;

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Also, Dusters blow for this map. >:{

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 pm

Paranoid Paranoid :)

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Ahahaha, no COP :)

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:28 pm

Considering it took you three attacks to do it, I'm more then happy with sacrificing a COP.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:29 pm

If there was a big fudge you smiley available, I'd use it right about now.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:34 pm

If there was a "HMM THINKING" smiley I'd use it right now.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:37 pm

Maybe that's what I need to do more often.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Uh yeah, you win again honey... ;_;

I did a bit better than our last Pheasant match though, but I still need to improve my build orders and capture phase by a quite a bit. I used to think I had a pretty good capture phase on nearly every map, but yours are like perfect every time. Good game dear.

I WILL improve and beat you decisively one day though, hee hee.
Last edited by Treedweller on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:56 pm

This is entertaining. I wish I could join you guys.
What can change the nature of a man?

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:56 pm

Why can't you Kimmy? I'd love to face you.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:00 pm

You had a really amazing opening style that always seems to leave me on the short side in property count.

I think you're just a little too reckless and you underestimate people's abilities to break through any sort of meatshields you setup. If you can learn to set priorities while maintaining those nice solid openings, your play will definitely improve.

I really really love the way you use motorbikes, you make them seem like they belong in DoR, I try to emulate it but it never really feels right, I prefer DoR's mechs.

Dusters are an amusing unit, they make people go paranoid and definitely can give you nice results.

On usage of CO units, you really want to make sure you keep your unit where there's a battle, do all your moves in that area, then move your CO to another area and continue attacking with it to build meter. Even if your CO unit gets killed, your opponent has wasted two shots on an incredibly buffed unit, one that gave out good counter damage while it was taken down. It's harder for you because of the CO field size, but I still was expecting a little bit more.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:00 pm

My Wifi doesn't seem to work on the DS. I get errors like it's going out of style.
What can change the nature of a man?

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:02 pm

I WILL improve and beat you decisively one day though, hee hee.

You already did on Whirly. That was a complete loss on my part, if I continued playing as I had, I would have lost the base and started losing more properties.

Yes, I probably could have regrouped further back and done some lame camping tactics to stall you out and possibly fudge you up, but that's just being gay.

You won, you need a new goal. :).

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:06 pm

I really should go to sleep but what the hell. I'm up.

No fog since I'm half-dead and don't want to be super-paranoid. :?

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Glad to play you.

I have your friend code added, you host or me?

Also, any map preferences, I'm assuming you've heard of FTA and know what it is, etc.

One of the maps I have would be perfect for that Waylon testing of yours, it has a fair amount of copter usage.

GaoGaoStegosaurus

Post by GaoGaoStegosaurus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:09 pm

DTaeKim wrote:My Wifi doesn't seem to work on the DS. I get errors like it's going out of style.

Ugh, that sucks. I know this is a dumb question, but have you manually inputed IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS information? The auto-obtain feature failed so much for my Netgear Router back when I was trying to play Mario Kart.
AWDoR FC: 077433-428775

"Dimensional index rising, nonlinear oscillator producing fluid bifur...BOOM!" - Penny