The "Treed's So Cool!" Topic

The board for competitive Advance Wars battling.
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:59 pm

It's fine. I have to work out some connection problems.
What can change the nature of a man?

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:13 am

After spending about an hour outside in a brisk Canadian blizzard, I'm ready for another match with anyone who dares, hee hee. Whoever I face should prepare for a battle against Penny, since I initially underestimated her abilities and would like to gain a greater understanding of the extent that she can be used effectively.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 am

I'll face you, I think I'll be better prepared to face you this time now that I've had a couple of matches against competent people.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:51 am

Sounds good dear. I'll host honey, but which map would you like to play?

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 am

Any map of your choosing. Also I would probably like to trade maps afterwards if that's ok >_>

edit: >_> oh you already have rocky road special

well that covers all the maps that I have worth trading >_>
Last edited by Blame Game on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 am

No problem hon.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:09 am

I need to get some maps from you sometime.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:15 am

Power time blamey pie. No more advantage for you :(

Oh, and no problem Sven.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:26 am

I totally lose -_- Good game Blamey, you've improved a lot. Oh, and I want one more battle before with someone before I trade maps, so I'll be hosting for whoever wants to join.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:34 am

Wow that was intense, good game treed.

Penny's COP is scary as hell, does it last a set number of days or what?

Anyway, I really don't think Tabitha is as broken as her COP makes her look, it's really a bitch to get any charge with just one unit without it getting destroyed. Any competent player should be able to prevent her from getting a power the whole game I think. I'd say her main advantage is the fact that you have to divert so much effort into destroying even cheap units like bikes, especially since bikes are already prevalent, making it not so bad an idea to join units repeatedly.

Fog of War might be a different story though >_> I'm terrified of facing Tabitha in the fog.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:41 am

Uhm, this match made me thoroughly terrified of Tabitha even outside of FoW. I don't think I made any particularly bad mistakes, but having Tabitha in a Bike compounded my problems in the southern area of the map to the point of exhausting my ability to push you in the north; call me a pansy, but 150/150 anything is nothing to laugh at.

As for Penny, her COP came in handy with the sandstorm (which always last three days by the way), but it didn't save me like I thought it would.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:58 am

Actually, it's 180/180, considering the CO zone and the veteran bonus.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:01 am

Ah, no kidding >_>

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:02 am

I agree that Tabitha's CO zone is scary as hell, but in that sense she's similar to Forsythe; I really doubt she'll be capable of activating a power like Brenner and Isabella should be able to do at least once a match. I think Penny could stand to be a bit better but if you would have gotten Rain the outcome could have been very different.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:09 am

Uhm, Tabitha's CO Zone already diverts considerable opponent funding towards killing her unit, which can be more game-turning than a single turn advantage received by activating a CO power.

I'll need to play against her more though to more meaningfully compare her to other COs.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 am

I'm thinking Tabitha might end up going through the same general stages that SSS Kanbei did.

At first everyone was like wow, he has ridiculous stats, he's broken. It then progressed onto. "If you take the fight to him and keep killing him you'll win no problem." Eventually people deemed Kanbei broken and left it at that.

I'm thinking it's going to go that way with Tabitha, but hey, just a guess.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 am

In this case you may be right, since I managed to start capturing your airport with a Tabitha bike, but if that wasn't the case then it'd be a whole different ballgame. And again, look at Forsythe, he's not exactly pathetic. >_> I might not have captured your airport like I did, but I would have definitely had a decisive advantage depending on which front I chose if I was using Forsythe instead. In this case I could have taken out your CO unit if I had opted for, say, a bike on the northern front, due to the 120/120 units in a 5 square radius of a 140/140 bike.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 am

lol Sven, this match is a big stalemate.

GaoGaoStegosaurus

Post by GaoGaoStegosaurus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 am

I use Tabitha's CO mainly as a suicide-attacker unit, to be honest. Even when I try to protect her, my opponent is often hell-bent on killing her no matter what... so I figured I might as well cripple or OHKO a couple of important enemy targets and then let your opponent kill her like they would anyways? I'd rather she go down in a blaze of glory than get suicide-killed by an enemy unit. I generally let equivalent direct attack enemies kill her so that they get wounded in the process, too... and then the next turn, Tabitha hops right back in another vehicle~
AWDoR FC: 077433-428775

"Dimensional index rising, nonlinear oscillator producing fluid bifur...BOOM!" - Penny

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 am

lol no crumpets Treed

There are no properties in the center other then that port, and the side properties are so vulnerable you'd have to be an idiot not to defend them, and as such, they get defended.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:59 am

you're no fun at all :(

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 am

I've gotten slightly better after 10 matches, I think, hee hee.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:04 am

out of curiosity, what COs are you using?

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:06 am

Me: Penny

Sven: Brenner

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:19 am

Goddammit I wanted rain.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:21 am

The numbers are too low to deal with reasonably.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:23 am

Your attack from the sandstorm you mean? Anyways, thanks for the match Sven; I definitely enjoyed it, and there was period when I thought it 100% certain you were going to kick my ass.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am

Random or clear weather?

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:25 am

The map doesn't really reward good D2D play, just a ridiculously good turn with powers or similar.

Brenner has defence and a power yes, but defence got nerfed and healing was never the best ability in the world, you need to take damage to use it first.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:26 am

Terragent wrote:Random or clear weather?
Random is for idiots.

Penny summons 3 days of the stuff, she's more then able to hold her own in clear, I'd laugh at the concept of a single day's weather, but three days, you're screwed.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:27 am

To be fair Sven, I could've definitely put you in nearly the same position without Penny's sandstorm >_> The only difference would've been your Anti-Air doing more damage to both my Infantry and my Duster, but that would've made a marginal difference at best; your B-Ship was still fudge, as was your cute little gunboat you made in the port.

And we were playing clear weather Terr honey, but Penny's power changed it to sandstorm.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:32 am

Nah.

One of the stat-tards did the conversion and realized 70% attack was like the other guy having 45% defence.

If it had been rain or snow I could have taken the right side and done something about the left, especially with the two rockets. In sandstorm, lol good luck, you could have just rammed the battleship into the rockets without a thought and still come out on top.

You would have gotten a little ground, but no real property advantage.

GaoGaoStegosaurus

Post by GaoGaoStegosaurus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:33 am

Haha, my friend looked at me all weird when I actually prayed for Snow from his Penny (we were locked in a stalemate, so -1 move wouldn't hurt nearly as much)... Sandstorm is just unbearable, while Rain is just blindness unless you have some Flares handy.
AWDoR FC: 077433-428775

"Dimensional index rising, nonlinear oscillator producing fluid bifur...BOOM!" - Penny

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 am

Also don't worry Treed slowly I will figure out all the things everyone learned in Campaign and then I will be unstoppable. :).

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:45 am

The right side? I highly doubt you could've done anything significant there without overextending yourself, and if you were going to use both Rockets to take my single city for a 2000 per turn fund difference, you would've had to hold onto that city for a long time to make it worthwhile; furthermore, you were struggling on the left side yourself, despite having a couple tanks and an anti-air there, but what do I know?

And I never would've put my B-Ship in range of your rockets. You could've easily dealt upwards of 5 damage to it in retaliation in sandstorm if my calculations are correct.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 am

You underestimate the worth of a single city.

I lost regardless, so there's no point in further arguing it.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:52 am

In the future, I won't pick that map for our matches if you'd like.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:55 am

Nah, I'll gladly play on it, I just don't think it's a very good map. There's no real question of where to place your CO unit or what unit to put him into, and the odd port placement combined with move and fire Battleships can wreak far more havoc then should be appropriate for a single unit on a map of that size.

Or perhaps I'm just a sore loser that's bitter that all the maps are different. ;)

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 am

I think it's because it was a map you couldn't have necessarily spammed your way out of >:{ But seriously, I'm inclined to agree that it's an awkward map, but I don't think it's horrible by any means.

Also I could've had your port. ^_^
Last edited by Treedweller on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 am

Which map was this?