We need a new Ladder.

The board for competitive Advance Wars battling.
Kireato

Post by Kireato » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 am

lol

The only thing I ever cared about at AWN was the design forums.
Which migrated to CW.

And Sarumarine's comics.
Which have very few updates lately.
I completely understand what you're saying, and I fully comprehend why it would be a wise decision on our parts to actually join their ladder, but I'm not big into the competitive scene at all so I'd rather just test my abilities against a small (but fairly skilled even in comparison to AW BW) community of people that I know and like interacting with.
This sums up my position, except I don't understand why it would be a wise decision to join their ladder.

I won't play enough games to justify it.
If their ladder is pulled off correctly we'll probably be seeing some of the AWBW people reporting their matches as well.
Some. Perhaps.
As I don't think they care.
I don't believe they've even mentioned making a ladder for wifi dor games. Even though some mention playing it.
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:11 am

As far as I am aware, we have no plans on making a WiFi ladder.

Though amarriner has admitted to wanting to make DCBW >_>
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:26 am

Kireato wrote:lol

The only thing I ever cared about at AWN was the design forums.
Which migrated to The-Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

And Sarumarine's comics.
Which have very few updates lately.
I completely understand what you're saying, and I fully comprehend why it would be a wise decision on our parts to actually join their ladder, but I'm not big into the competitive scene at all so I'd rather just test my abilities against a small (but fairly skilled even in comparison to AW BW) community of people that I know and like interacting with.
This sums up my position, except I don't understand why it would be a wise decision to join their ladder.

I won't play enough games to justify it.
If their ladder is pulled off correctly we'll probably be seeing some of the AWBW people reporting their matches as well.
Some. Perhaps.
As I don't think they care.
I don't believe they've even mentioned making a ladder for wifi dor games. Even though some mention playing it.
the main thing is, there's no real difficulty in joining

you just report your matches there with a few clicks and see how you rise

also i'm sure you play enough games kireato, even one a month would add up, i'm sure they would all be victories ;)

CO_Eagle

Post by CO_Eagle » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey. CO_Eagle, Main Administrator of AWN Forums. Perhaps better known as the one who banned the two of you. Say what you will about the way I choose to run my forums, but know that I don't give a f*ck. You obviously have a different style of running things here at WWN, which I respect. You may not have thought what you caused last time was anything serious, but again, different forums, different Administration, different dynamics. In the interest and hope (perhaps false hope given the obvious animosity and hatred for AWN by a myriad of members just within this topic, but hope nonethless) of a more unified AW Community, I have decided to lift both of your warnings. Know, though. Both of you return on a one-strike basis. Any of the crap that you pulled last time, if I get any serious reports, you're gone. No questions will be asked, no appeal process available. See you around.

kosheh

Re: We need a new Ladder.

Post by kosheh » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:27 am

^lolz
treed says "the userbase is retarded lol" and then this

Anyway
DTaeKim wrote:With the release of Advance Wars: DoR/DC and the advent of Wi-Fi, we can use the opportunity to resurrect the WWN ladder.

Sven mentioned that the AWN ladder uses the Elo rating system, the same one used in Chess. However, I don't know how to calculate this, though I imagine someone with a spreadsheet program.
Lol, I'm not sure on this, but AWN's ladder program is just an add-on to IPB. Either DeathBerzerker wrote it himself (which I'm sure he didn't, I just know that these types of things are a pain in the ass to install) or yeah, he just plugged in some database junk and the mod unzipped itself etc. etc.

I've been looking into a mod called Rivals; what it does is pretty much exactly what AWN's ladder software does. You report wins and losses and make challenges, and things of the sort.
However it's in its beta stage and its operation is so-so on phpbb 2.0.22 (what we have) The author of the mod, though, is working on one for phpbb3. But for the version of phpbb that we use, to put it in the end users' view, you might have 1 small error in 2 months or something.
I've been wanting to use it for the site that shall not be named, but I've had trouble installing it so I might just as well ask Xen to execute the self-extractor for me...and, we'll see how it works on CW. Installation and uninstallation is simple (you really don't touch any board files, only make new ones I think) so yeah - I'll ask Xen about it and have it go through a test-phase on CW to see if it's any good, and if it turns out to be a success I'll bring it over to WWN. :3

EDIT: OH AND A LINK IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet ... 2470.shtml

SHHHH it's not really for linux lol

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:58 am

Yeah, my timing is never that great. Anyways, thanks CO_Eagle.

MoogleGunner

Re: We need a new Ladder.

Post by MoogleGunner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:05 am

kosheh wrote:^lolz
treed says "the userbase is retarded lol" and then this

Anyway
DTaeKim wrote:With the release of Advance Wars: DoR/DC and the advent of Wi-Fi, we can use the opportunity to resurrect the WWN ladder.

Sven mentioned that the AWN ladder uses the Elo rating system, the same one used in Chess. However, I don't know how to calculate this, though I imagine someone with a spreadsheet program.
Lol, I'm not sure on this, but AWN's ladder program is just an add-on to IPB. Either DeathBerzerker wrote it himself (which I'm sure he didn't
lulz yer wrong.
S'ven says:
All I wanted was a driver update, not eternal damnation in hell.
Thanks to Taboo for my uber sexy sig and avy images.

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:47 am

given the obvious animosity and hatred for AWN by a myriad of members just within this topic
Aside from Treedweller only a lack of interest in AWN has been expressed in this topic. You shouldn't pose yourself and AWN as a victim, it's fairly annoying to watch.
also i'm sure you play enough games kireato, even one a month would add up, i'm sure they would all be victories
Thank you. :)
Though I doubt being as good as some believe. :D
As far as I am aware, we have no plans on making a WiFi ladder.
Yeah I figured as much. I spend enough time there.
Though amarriner has admitted to wanting to make DCBW >_>
Odd, I had gotten the opposite impression...
Oh I can understand that he would like doing such a thing.
But actually doing it?
Well it would be interesting if he did.
Wifi can be hectic, and you can't quite play as conveniently with anyone due to time zones...
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:59 am

Uhm, how odd, my account on AWN is still banned.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:02 am

CO_Eagle wrote:Hey. CO_Eagle, Main Administrator of AWN Forums. Perhaps better known as the one who banned the two of you. Say what you will about the way I choose to run my forums, but know that I don't give a f*ck. You obviously have a different style of running things here at WWN, which I respect. You may not have thought what you caused last time was anything serious, but again, different forums, different Administration, different dynamics. In the interest and hope (perhaps false hope given the obvious animosity and hatred for AWN by a myriad of members just within this topic, but hope nonethless) of a more unified AW Community, I have decided to lift both of your warnings. Know, though. Both of you return on a one-strike basis. Any of the crap that you pulled last time, if I get any serious reports, you're gone. No questions will be asked, no appeal process available. See you around.
That was nice of you, :).

Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 am

Good to see you succeeded, even if it proved me wrong. :wink:
Your political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.21

MoogleGunner

Post by MoogleGunner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:23 pm

treed:

CO_Eagle says he needs your IP to unban you proper.
S'ven says:

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:24 pm

Kay, I've PMed it to you Moogie Dear.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:27 pm

lol drama?

MoogleGunner

Post by MoogleGunner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Thanks Xennie-poo
S'ven says:

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm just going to continue using the account that I used to contact madcow. If the general populous ever makes the connection, I'll rest well knowing that I'm not going to be banned on the spot.

MoogleGunner

Post by MoogleGunner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Sven, what is that accounts name? PM me with it or something. Also Chris says the IP Xen sent isn't banned.

Just like... make a new account Treed :/

Also, I will love people forever if they use balance guruness to clear the fog of ugh in this topic : http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/in ... opic=32868
S'ven says:

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:53 pm

I'm already there my good man.

You can play a guessing game if you like :).

riboze

EDIT:

What is the status of a challenge topic over there? Can you talk to the administration or similar to make a stickied one, you guys really need one, it's not clear where to issue challenges.

MoogleGunner

Post by MoogleGunner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:59 pm

S'ven says:

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Awesome, thanks a ton. I'll be playing some people tomorrow then.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:20 pm

My IP is the one I have at home that was banned; I've since moved out of my parent's place, so I wouldn't have the IP handy. As for making a new account, way ahead of you honeybunches.

MoogleGunner

Post by MoogleGunner » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:41 pm

We've noticed... in fact you happen to be a day ahead of us, >_>;
S'ven says:

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:30 pm

It's the way I roll.