Black Hole Takes Over VS Mode

-Design Maps
Show off your creative stuff here. Comics, units, maps, spritework or anything creative to do with Advance Wars.
Mark999

Black Hole Takes Over VS Mode

Post by Mark999 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Black Hole tries to take over VS mode, and the result is a series where every comic also comes with a flashy custom map. Enjoy it.

Before you say, "this map sucks!" I wanna say, if a map sucks, then I'm probably well aware of that. Just wait.
Last edited by Mark999 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Black Hole Takes Over VS Mode

Post by Xenesis » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:21 pm

The dialogue could uh...use some work.

You're breaking the fourth wall all the time - AW characters aren't aware they're in a game.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:36 am

ever played paper mario?
This is an COMIC.
Fourth wall does,t mean much here.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:09 am

Paper Mario intentionally breaks the fourth wall. Advance Wars rarely breaks the fourth wall.
What can change the nature of a man?

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:35 am

DTaeKim wrote:Paper Mario intentionally breaks the fourth wall. Advance Wars rarely breaks the fourth wall.

The best fourth-wall breaking was hands-down the C24 War Room.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:35 pm

You asked for it.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in a future comic.
Oh, and the turn limit for the Extra Challenge in this map is 40. :lol:
Last edited by Mark999 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sprites

Post by sprites » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:13 am

i don't see the purpose of that map ... green has no factories , the goal is not losing in 20 days? :D

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:59 pm

sprites wrote:i don't see the purpose of that map ... green has no factories , the goal is not losing in 20 days? :D

Actually you're supposed to play as Orange Star.

Anywho, here comes the next comic & map.

THIS is where I'm actually trying to make something challenging.
Last edited by Mark999 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:44 am

.......................................................................................

O dear..

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:34 am

...what? You want something more realistic? OK. No gimmicks this time.

The theme of this map is that if you beat up on Adder then Lash will have access to 10 extra cities. But it might take awhile if you want to capture Adder's HQ and take the properties yourself.

Delta_Angelfire

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:35 am

interesting concept, I like it, but it still seems too easy. You don't really have to capture Adder, you should be able to pretty easily abuse your FTA to slaughter whatever he can build (especially since for the first few days he'll be building infantry, mech rush FTW) and get in there to cap just the base and the neutral one near it. After that it's even footing with blue. Once you gain a slight advantage (say, two of the northern bases?) cap Adder's HQ and start a slaughterin'. Now if there were a way to make the properties all go straight to Lash instead once you capped the HQ, maybe. or If you gave Adder the farthest NW base (forcing you to take the hq early or face Big tanks galore before the end of week 1)
Image Image

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Eh. You guys wanna ruin the them of "Dangerous Victory" by all means go right ahead. THIS TIME however, I think I have a real winner this time.

Yeah. This is pretty much how I reacted to the fact that the Cold War involved almost no combat at all, and when I found that out I though, "How am I supposed to re-enact this war through AW if there was no battles?!" And then this occurs. I make fun of this one fact alone.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:31 am

Okay, I took the time to play your maps and I have my thoughts right here on this lovely piece of paper.
Bear in mind I only did 1 or 2 runthroughs for each one, and I'm not very good.

10/10 - Bloody fantastic
7//10 - Solid map
5/10 - Meh, nae bad but nae good.
3/10 - Yuk, not advisable
1/10 - Just kill me instead of making me play that again.

Map 1 - Looks can be deceiving. What looks like a simple map is in fact quite frustrating, and there's no easy way to gain an advantage. Breaking through the pipes costs precious time and resources which are needed in facing BH head on - otherwise their "tank a day" spam just overwhelms you. Oh, and Max's inability to use artillery sucks bigtime, as does his loss of movement on his powers. An ugly tank/infantry/Md Tank spam netted me a win in 14 days.
6/10

Map 2 - Spread out the infantry for money and towers; buy Missiles for insta-killing the fighters; Artys for breaking the seams and AAirs to clear up other fighters, stopping them from moving up and down the pipeline and killing the GE mech. Did it in (IIRC) 17 days. I really don't have the patience to try the extra challenge here, but it's not a case of beating the map, it's a case of being unable to lose :/
This felt almost Field Training easy - everything is set up for you to knock down as you please.
3/10

Map 3 - Not particularly hard, but a better challenge and a good air map. The black bomb certainly makes life easier, but it's not neccasary as it got destroyed on my first run. (Damn Stealths.) Good land design even if it is totally irrelevant, but this is more like an 'official' campaign map. Enemy not overpowering, but still challenging. Quite easy to manipulate AI but w/e
7.5/10

Map 4 - I actually think this map is impossible. Well, not impossible so much as fiendishly hard (in a bad way). Adder's infantry have a bad habit of suiciding, causing all of his properties to become neutral and you lose your advantage. If you focus too much on Adder, Lash will become too powerful, if you don't put enough pressure on Adder he starts to build mountains of tanks... it's a very delicate balancing act and not in a good way. This may be my poor skills talking, but I think that OS could benefit from a few cities (neutral or orange) around the HQ to provide extra funds. The cities are another problem as Lash justs gets stronger and stronger - but reducing the number of cities won't solve this and reducing her properties will result in no incentive to get Adder's cities. I dunno what to do to fix this :/ But I just can't get this map.
4/10 -this could work with a fix

Map 5 - Without extensive testing, I have only a very shallow perception of this map. However, it seems that it results in a scrappy fight for the tower in the middle. The snow is a major problem as it makes Olaf too powerful - even with the comm tower he's smashing your tanks and recons apart with ease. Maybe if you give him one as default? Then at least his powers pack more of a punch.
EDIT: Yes, this map is a lot easier but still challenging without the snow.
8/10

An inconsistant lot, but campaign mapping looks a lot easier than it is. Keep at it, these are starting to get good.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:01 pm

I haven't made one of these in awhile, mostly due to lack of ideas, but this one is really cool!

Yes, a SMB3 based map! The size is larger than AW will allow, so here are some cheats to help you out:

AW2 (Code breaker)

3201e450 002E
3201e452 000A

AWDS (Action Replay)

02183CA4 002E0000
02183CA8 0000000C

Both codes are for the US version BTW.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:04 am

This should explain all the pipes in AWDS...

Oh, that DEFINATELY explains the 10+ maps COVERED in pipes.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:57 pm

You DO realise that only 1/3 of that map will be actually used, do you?
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:02 am

Yep. I'd personally add a threat in the south and remove the seams near the BH HQ, so that you'd have to get past THAT first in order to take the HQ.

And add a few enemy piperunners for added difficulty. It IS a pipe-based map after all. Rockets are nice, but once they're out of ammo nobody cares anymore.

----------------
Now playing: Xandria - Return To India
via FoxyTunes
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Tronn_Bonne

Post by Tronn_Bonne » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:39 am

I agree. Slipping in a few pipe runners in place of the rockets will help.
"I wish my PS1 wasn't dead. Talking to you makes me wanna go play Megaman Legends again." - JuggerV2
“Tronn wins an internet. Or all the Koal quotes that ever existed.. You decide.” - Guesty

OmegaVitaminC

Post by OmegaVitaminC » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:55 pm

No offence, but so far all of your map have been pretty easy.

nevergiveup93

Post by nevergiveup93 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:56 am

You should make map based on Donut Land on Super Mario World.
Giving up doesn't pay the bills.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:57 am

^Well I dunno about that...the roads would have to curve and all.

Anyways, mostly to show I haven't stopped making these, here's a map design that long deserves being made fun of:

nevergiveup93

Post by nevergiveup93 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:07 am

Dude, I'm not pushing you, but I tried making a Donut Land map and it looks somewhat descent. I'm just asking if you can try, because your WAY better than me at making maps. 8)

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 am

^ One of these days. But not today. TODAY we're taking a history lesson.

History class can be a very good inspiration for maps, eh?

nevergiveup93

Post by nevergiveup93 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:02 am

Awesome :o

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Took me long enough to update this.

Late for Christmas but meh.