CC Betrayal! (please read)

-Design Maps
Show off your creative stuff here. Comics, units, maps, spritework or anything creative to do with Advance Wars.
Advance Wars Ancient

CC Betrayal! (please read)

Post by Advance Wars Ancient » Wed May 14, 2008 10:00 am

So!
After fooling around with the AWDS map editor, (from the WWN site) I was struck by...

THE IDEA!!!
FOR!!
:geflash: :geflash: A CUSTOM CAMPAIGN!! :geflash: :geflash:

Seeing as the first CO was a stupid idea, I'll think of a new one to fit the plotline.
I'll have the first level up soon, post any ideas please!
Last edited by Advance Wars Ancient on Fri May 16, 2008 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my CC Betrayal! in the design room!
STURM ISN'T AN ALIEN!
Siggy? wut Siggy?
I've been playing AW since I was 7, and those were the good old days, watching my friend moan as Sturm bombarded his troops, and me wanting to listen to his WHOOPASS theme... Yay...

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: CC Betrayal! (please read)

Post by HPD » Wed May 14, 2008 7:13 pm

I say your CO is way too map dependent to work. Also, it's probably broken, but I'll have to put some more thought in it to check if that's really the case.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend your powers to have any negative effects. If you need to add that, your powers are probably too strong and you can suffice with a smaller power without negative side-effects. Only a few COs can pull such powers off nicely, the best of which I've seen would probably be Flak.

But don't sweat it, hardly anyone makes a decent CO on their first try. Just keep trying.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Advance Wars Ancient

Post by Advance Wars Ancient » Thu May 15, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks for the commentary!
How is my CO broken? The most she could get on a large map is around 50%, and that's for one day too.
I was just thinking to make a GE CO, and I tried to make the CO kinda specialized GE style =P
I'll get the first lvl up soon
Could you also give me some constructive criticism? I'm kinda new here, so anything you have to suggest would be nice
STURM ISN'T AN ALIEN!
Siggy? wut Siggy?
I've been playing AW since I was 7, and those were the good old days, watching my friend moan as Sturm bombarded his troops, and me wanting to listen to his WHOOPASS theme... Yay...

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu May 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Actually, you're right. On most maps, it's underpowered. Most maps have a city:base ratio of about 4:1, making your d2d only give you a net 1% attack boost on your units. That's so insignificant that it might as well be nothing.

However, many maps have as least common property not bases, but rather air- or seaports. In that case, the ratio of city:least common property goes up to 8:1 or something like that, making you LOSE stats instead. You can't live without those properties as you'd surely lose the game. But when you DO capture these, you won't be going to beat that 8:1 ratio. That way, you'll have a problem always.

Strategically, your CO won't be adding all that much. It's practically impossible to play on getting your unit boosts as high as possible. You will need every single property you can get your hands on. If that means that your stats won't be quite high. You'll lose on income otherwise. You can't play on capturing your properties in such a way that you'll get a maximum boost out of it. You just can't afford doing that. Neither on a small map, nor on a large one. It doesn't matter. You'll HAVE to go out and capture everything you can possibly get your hands on. And on pretty much every map, your ratio will be working against you. There are just too many cities.

If I were you, I wouldn't really take the effort tweaking this CO, as the concept isn't strategically sound.

Final verdict: :crank:

Sorry, buddy, but this idea is not very workable in my eyes. One of the most important things you'll have to remember when creating a CO is if you can strategically make use of a COs powers and abilities. THOSE COs have the potential. Sadly, this one isn't one of them..
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Advance Wars Ancient

Darn

Post by Advance Wars Ancient » Fri May 16, 2008 7:49 am

Thanks for the review, I'll have to waste time thinking of a new CO.
I've never made a custom CO, my first one =D
I see what you mean, I think I outta scrap the idea for the CO altogether :cry:
Well, practice makes perfect, I appreciate your thinking
STURM ISN'T AN ALIEN!
Siggy? wut Siggy?

Advance Wars Ancient

Post by Advance Wars Ancient » Sat May 17, 2008 6:21 am

O - KAY DOKEY
The new custom CO, who is gunna be a main character in the campaign is here
name - Magellan
A small, pluckly little recruit for Green Earth, after his brother died during Sturm's first invasion, he grew to hate war of any kind, but a rumor says he has a darker side consumed by bloodlust and rage.
:skill: All units have 80% offense and 120% defense. All repairs cost 1.5x more, but heal 3 instead.
:smallstar: :smallstar: :smallstar: :smallstar: :smallstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:
:power: Warfare of Titans
Magellan unleashes his bloodlust, granting all troops 160-50 stats for the day. Repairs cost normal, and the enemy loses 10% offense.
:super: Everlasting peace
Magellan's opponent can do no damage for the day, and he himself can only do 20%. Repairs cost as much for 2 damage and heal 5.

The next level WILL be up soon, review the new CO! The idea came to me during my sister's concert, and I'm new, so don't be harsh, but be honest :)
STURM ISN'T AN ALIEN!
Siggy? wut Siggy?

airob

Post by airob » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:57 pm

i think i´m bit of late to post...but where´s your campaig??? i wanna see it...
heyyy...don´t you think that´s bit of...overdo???...i mean..the COP is extremely powerful and it needs 5 star!!!....5stars!!!!!!
well...it´s a totally huge effect and a totally huge negative-side effect..the D2D seems fairly good..the COP is ridiculously strong all units with that stats..also in the D2D it appears that your CO is a defensive guy...in his COP is a totally attacking one(semms good)..and pardon..you put in your COP. that it is 50 defense????????????.....maybe reducing the stars needed and the effect
anyway....if your searching for more COs for your campaign history...why don´t you take look at my first one?? it may not be the best....i just wanna see what others think of that idea i had

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10990