Unit changes

-Design Maps
Show off your creative stuff here. Comics, units, maps, spritework or anything creative to do with Advance Wars.
DieselPheonix

Unit changes

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:56 pm

kiwi and I are making a mod using the CW engine. As neither of us are expert players, I'd like feedback before kiwi turns the whole thing upside down by increasing mech range, giving piperunners road movement, or something weird like that.

Infantry (1500) 4 move
APC (2500)
Mech (3000) 3 move
Recon (3000)
Tank (6000)
Artillery (6000)
Anti-Air* (6000)
Missile (8000)
Medium Tank (10000)
Rocket (11000)
Neotank (13000)
Megatank* (16000)

T Copter (5000)
B Copter (7000)
Fighter (10000)
Stealth (12000)
Bomber* (14000)

Lander (5000)
Blackboat (7000)
Cruiser* (11000)
Submarine* (12000)
Carrier (14000)
Battleship (16000)

There are other changes, for better or worse, but I think that's enough for now.

*several units have range 1-2; they still count as direct units but can move and shoot at range 2

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Re: Unit changes

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:31 pm

4 movement Infantry? That can't be good.
What can change the nature of a man?

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:02 pm

4 movement infantry is the biggest thing? Not the units that can move and shoot a space away? Or tanks being the same price as artillery (and anti-air)?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:03 am

You're basically making an entirely different game. I'd have to see how that holds through rigorous playtesting.

Dunno if I'd really like to play it, though.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:00 pm

Every AW up to this point has basically had the same strategy: spam infantry and artillery. DoR may have shaken things up the most with its unit and CO revamp, it takes more than just spam to win, and there are maps that dissuade such a strategy, but the foundation is the same.

Maybe this makes more sense if each AW game is thought of as an expansion of the last rather than an individual title. What's the next AW going to be like? Odds are some kind of infantry and artillery spam will be the core strategy.

But you're right, theories and speculation won't do us much good, if any. You can find the latest full release here if you're really interested. The 2.5 jar file is the mod, the other is the last regular release.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:00 pm

I suggest a hex-based grid instead of squares.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:06 pm

DTaeKim wrote:I suggest a hex-based grid instead of squares.
THIS
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:52 pm

Yeah, there's an entirely new game for you.

What else do you want on it?

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:43 am

Well, if you change to a hex-based system, you need three Infantry to protect your Artillery instead of two.