Advance Wars Gaiden (Title Pending)

-Design Maps
Show off your creative stuff here. Comics, units, maps, spritework or anything creative to do with Advance Wars.
Ricojeh

Advance Wars Gaiden (Title Pending)

Post by Ricojeh » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:22 pm

**Advance Wars Gaiden**

I’ve been inspired by the AW5 idea thread in the Design Room, mostly by UserShadow7989’s ideas, and have come up with a rough approach for an Advance Wars spinoff. First of all, it would be playable on PC, or on phone/tablet, because I would enjoy this kind of game while I roam about from my university classes. I’ve also had a fair amount of practice working on other spinoff games, so I’ll be sure to add an enjoyable atmosphere to this one. My goal by the end of this project is to at least have custom sprites of COs, units, and buildings that can be used in other projects in this forum.

For art, I’m keeping the style of AW2, because it’s quick, clean, and charming compared to Days of Ruin. Ryo Hirata did a great job setting the look for the first three games, and his gallery pictures from AW2 are some of my favorites. Expect a lot of concept art to be posted before sprites are made.

For the setting, I’m returning to the ‘classic’ universe, BUT no Black Hole (as enemies at least). That nation has learned its lesson more than the Germans did in the twentieth century. Instead, the new enemy nation will be White Sun. It is based on Middle-eastern nations, like the Iranian military, and the modern architecture in Dubai.

White Sun inhabits the vast Delta Land, which resembles the inner, southern part of the Mediterranean Sea. A desert land-mass, interspersed with oases and a couple rivers, fills the southern section of the world map and slightly extends north at its east-most border. The land-mass of the Delta world map is inhabited by the White Sun, while the north-east portion is Yellow Comet territory, separated by a mountain range. Orange Star inhabits a small island in the north-west, while Blue Moon has a larger island north of the mainland. Currently, in the politics of this time, White Sun is ruled by a dictatorship. The original four nations are now the peace-keeping forces of the entire AW world, much like the UN, and are stationed along the borders as deterrents to White Sun’s military activity. White Sun has an age old beef with the Blue Moon forces involved in Delta Land, so there is considerable tension at all times. This plus the fact that White Sun controls the largest deposits of resources for the world, so their economic power needs military protection.

Finally, various things happen. The public in the Western portion of White Sun territory is fed up with the dictatorship, and revolts. The northern national forces invade Blue Moon and Orange Star territory, while the eastern national forces keep Yellow Star monitored and at bay, massing along the eastern mountains. Communication inside White Sun has been cutoff, possibly as a consequence of the revolts and to cloak army movement. The Allied Nations have declared states of alarm, and are sending reinforcements to take back their territory. Rumors are spreading that the Allied Nations may declare war to end the White Sun dictatorship as well as free the Sunians. At the beginning of the campaign, you are a new advisor in Orange Star territory, and your job is to take back your island.

The CO system will be similar to AW2, but with the mechanics of DoR: no tag teams, three unique characters per nation, an effect and power for each character. If there are returning characters from Dual Strike, they will be considerably older. This setting is imagined in our world’s near-future, like 2023 kind of future. By then, navies will have rudimentary laser weapons on ships, drone helicopters will be prototyped, and bigger pack “dogs” will carry supplies for troops across all kinds of terrain. New energies are being tested, and solar thermal power has found efficient use in Delta Land. In the AW universe, time has passed. Hachi and Olaf have already left their legacies. This is a time for new characters, who may or may not be related to previous ones. The only one I can imagine returning is Rachel, whose experience is needed to save Orange Star in Delta Land and is flown in to advise you. She could contact you by radio, just like Nell used to do. Other than that, I’m up for some new original characters. I’ll be checking the Custom CO room and the highest-rated CO list for inspiration.

Here are the current COs:

:os: Orange Star

:bm: Blue Moon

Ray
Hidden Text
:hit: Sunblock
:miss: Raincoats

Description: A lean, tanned man with coal-black hair, Ray wears a loud hawaiian shirt and a pair of dark glasses. Perfect white teeth make for a winning smile, and his laid-back attitude mean that he's grinning very often. As his job would imply, Ray has an impressive tan - but naturally he's never seen without his sunblock cream.

Bio: Ray is a brilliant scientist who's been researching alternative energy sources for years. He joined the army in order to secure a huge research budget from Blue Moon, and has since proved the amazing efficiency of his new technology in battle.

Numerous engagements near the start of the second war saw him outmaneuvering his adversary, both as a result of his troops' superior equipment and his enemies' fatigue in the intense conditions he was able to provoke.
However, sunburn turned out to be almost as much of a problem to his own troops as it did to his enemies, and as such Ray has retired from active duty in order to fully focus his attention on researching a new kind of sunblock cream which will provide superior protection to his troops.
However, should Blue Moon ever be threatened again, Ray will be ready to take up arms again.

While Olaf finds him irreverent, Grit gets on very well with Ray, and has taken to calling him 'sunshine'. Ray always has a witty one-liner prepared for every situation, and although his troops are somewhat disheartened by the extreme conditions they are forced to fight in, they still find themselves laughing whenever he's in a joking mood.

Quote: 'Today's forecast? Fine!'

:skill: Ray's units are all equipped with experimental solar technology, increasing their effectiveness dramatically. However, poor weather leads to a sharp drop in performance. His infantry units, due to constant exposure to harsh sunlight, have low stamina.

Pros: When weather is 'clear', all non-infantry units recieve +10% firepower.
Cons: All infantry units are 100/90 (they're sunburnt!)
When weather is snow or rain, all non-infantry units are 90/100 and suffer -1 movement.

CO Meter: :smallstar: :smallstar: :smallstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:

:power: CO Power: Heatwave.
Weather is set to 'clear'. All non infantry units recieve +1 movement and a 10% firepower bonus (making them 120/110).

Power quotes:
'Glasses, people! This is going to be hot.'
'Get ready for a scorcher!'
'Rain, rain, go away!'

:super: Super CO Power: Sunstroke.
Weather is set to 'clear'. All non-infantry units recieve +1 movement and a 10% firepower boost (for a total of 120/110 stats), and all enemy units lose 1 movement and have their firepower and defence reduced by 10%.

Super Power quotes:
'I hope you remembered your suncream.'
'If you can't handle the heat, you'll never beat me!'
'Hey, take it easy! It's my turn now!'

Victory quote: 'Live with the heat - it's here to stay!'
Alexander
Hidden Text
Creative Section: Treedweller
Technical Section: Kireato

Bio: Widely considered Blue Moon's most promising future leader yet, Alexander is regarded highly by the nation's current leader and dictator, Olaf. Though he is indeed in training for politics rather than war, he's spurred on by Olaf to continue his schooling as a commanding officer for when he takes the reigns as head of the nation.

Taught by his father people pleasing techniques to maintain power, Alexander chose to take this a couple steps further right on the political spectrum, adopting caring for the proletariat at the top of his politcal agenda. Despite his father's incesstant influence and war-monger-like personality, Alexander grew up with a natural aversion to war and maintained an open and tolerant mind towards people of all walks of life. However, he could not deny his father's persuasive personality for long, and he was forced to take up military strategy and tactics in addition to his schooling. Thinking that's all he would have to do with current military skirmishes, Alex was much relieved until his father put him in charge of Blue Moon defenses during the second great war. This burden came as a shock, and Alex refused vehemently; he hated war, and especially the way it left a country and its people in shambles.

'Alex my boy, now's your chance to change all that. Show the people that you're doing your best for them and that you care for them; that is, unless you want me to put a commander in charge that doesn't care as much about our citizens as you?'

Hearing this from Olaf was too much, and Alexander gave in, though rather sulkily. However, his father wouldn't have just left the country in the hands of a young, inexperienced boy, and he subsequently left Sasha -daughter of the richest family in Blue Moon- in charge of his training. They bore through the first few obligatory awkward moments, and soon became fast friends. He even discovered why Sasha, so ladylike and reserved in appearence, chose to take such a career path despite her obvious dislike for aggressive manuevers.

'It's simple really; you don't get far relying on other people to make decisions and choices for you in something you feel strongly about, and I chose to be a part of war rather than distance myself from it.'

This simple statement struck Alex, and he knew that she was right. Why hide from what you hate and hope it will go away on it's own? He would try and change the face of war, to eliminate it completely and improve the lives of his citizens, by being a part of it and in control of it. It was so obvious, yet he never realized it until now. Though Alexander knew he'd never get used to military conflict, he understood he'd at least be making a difference. He continued his training, and he and Sasha easily defeated the last remnants of Black Hole within Blue Moon.

When his father got back from defeating Sturm, Olaf found himself greeted by a more mature and intelligent son who was ready to change the world. Alex continued to work with Sasha, though this time by through negotiations and the forming of treaties with Orange Star, Blue Moon, and Green Earth to keep the peace and prevent another conflict from breaking out. Through these agreements, they managed to get the other nations to acquiesce to a final treaty and form the alliance of the Allied Nations to hopefully deter any further threats from Black Hole. This was their final triumph, and was the glue that held the nations together during the Macro Land Wars. However, there was some contention between Orange Star and Blue Moon during the treaty-forging, mostly from the outspoken and outdated former commander-in-chief Hachi. He strongly opposed a uniting of the two previous enemies, but was eventually overriden by Nell. This however caused Alex to harbour a strong dislike for the old man, and as such they can never be quite civil when in eachother's presence.

Despite their work together, Alex and Sasha never forged a romantic relationship through unspoken agreement. However, they're continually encouraged by their parents to some day be wedded, as both groups have something to gain. Olaf, money for his campaigns and rallies, Sasha's father, for the unlimited political influence. So far, their plans have not come to fruition.

Alex's care for the people and peace have become apparent to all of Blue Moon, and the citizens eagerly await the day that he may lead them.

Description: Alexander is a young man with sharp features and a handsome face. He has vivid blue eyes, and dark brown hair slightly longer than typically seen. He wears a black tuxedo, with black pants and a white shirt underneath. The coat is undone, and it�s distinctly obvious he�s not wearing a tie. He is of medium build and average height.

Skills: All units are 100/100 day-to-day due to his lack of interest in specializing himself in the art of war.

:hit: Peace, Books
:miss: Cruelty

:smallstar: :smallstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:

:power: CO Power: Peace Riots
Alexander impresses upon people of all nations the obvious pointlessness of war through all means at his disposal. As a result the people hold riots and demonstrations, causing all current captures to be dismissed. All enemy captures are halted and facilities are set back to default Hp (does not affect allied forces). Additionally, thanks to his popularity with the people, he receives a 1.5* capture modifier. Default +10/10 bonus.

:super: Super CO Power: Inevitable Revolution
Alexander convinces the people to free themselves of the shackles of exploitation and join in his cause, spurring mayhem and disruption. All enemies receive no funding next turn. Additionally, the people hand over what resources they can to Alexander�s control; he receives 3/4 of current enemy funds at the time of activation [this part of the SCOP is merely to ensure the enemy remains at low funding next turn and will usually result in little impact]. Default +10/10 bonus.

Power Quotes
"Comrades, see from my eyes..."
"There is more to war than bullets and explosions."
"Come now, do you think loyalty is won through violence?"
"Express yourselves through action rather than words!"
"Now we'll see where their sympathies lie..."
"Revolution from above!"

Victory Quotes
"Ah, I see now! This is why the citizens were on my side all along."
:ge: Green Earth

:yc: Yellow Star

White Sun

The unit roster will be from Days of Ruin. I haven't played the game but I’ve heard its roster is well balanced. Personally, the change in tactics would be welcome. The style will be from AW2, so I’ll have to create unique sprites for the Duster, Bike, and Anti-Tank Gun. Here’s where the unit list and changes will go:

Current Units
Land:
- Infantry
- Mech
- Bike
- Recon
- Anti-air
- Tank
- MD Tank
- Megatank
- Anti-Tank
- Flare
- Artillery
- Rockets
- Missiles
Naval:
- Lander
- Submarine
- Cruiser
- Battleship
- Carrier
Air:
- Battle Copter
- Transport Copter
- Duster
- Fighter
- Bomber
- Drone or Seaplane

Pending- Not sure how useful these units are yet, and may remove them in the future
- Gunboat
- Destroyer

For new units, there will at least be two or three, preferably for sea and air. There seems to be enough land units, but if there is a new one, it will be supportive. For naval, I imagine a tactical laser fitting in somewhere – either in a battleship or a destroyer. For air, either the refueling airship UserShadow7989 mentioned, drone fighters to be deployed from carriers, or a satellite that can be launched. The satellite could offer many new gameplay possibilities, rather than simply attack units. We’ve seen its tactical uses in the news and in movies, so this could become something special.

Mission objectives will show up here too, as they add substance to the campaign play. These involve capturing labs, HQs, # of territories, having # of units survive, # of turns before failure, and others. In the western portion of White Sun territory, a mission objective could be to capture cities before they detonate and kill off civilians. Let me know of other possibilities that could add some unique gameplay.

That’s all I have now, but I’ll be updating this slowly until the summer, when I’ll have a lot more time to flesh this project out.

This post will show most of the content for the game, until the character limit is used up.
Last edited by Ricojeh on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ThunderWalker

Re: Advance Wars Gaiden (Title Pending)

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:51 am

Well, if you don't know how useful units are, look into GipFace's threads ;)

Anyway, I wish you good luck with your project :)
My sig is a void.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks for the reference, it helped me understand those units a lot more. However, I'm still not sure about the Gunboat. I'll have to play Days of Ruin to experience it more.

Other than that, I've just looked at the Hall of Fame characters for inspiration. I am really surprised at how well Ray and Alexander would fit in this setting/scenario, and will use them if I get permission. I already have some designs in mind for them, so I'll be posting them later once they're drawn.

Ray is fine as is. For Alexander, his COP quotes needed to be shortened:

COP: Peace Riots
"Comrades, see from my eyes..."
"There is more to war than bullets and explosions."
"Come now, do you think loyalty is won through violence?"

SCOP: Inevitable Revolution (or Revolution)
"Express yourselves through action rather than words!"
"Now we'll see where their sympathies lie..."
"Revolution from above!"

This may mean two down for Blue Moon - one to go.

Kilian18

Post by Kilian18 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 am

Sounds interesting,
For your Unit-Composition:
Infantry: Will they cost 1000 or 1500 or anything else?
Mech: Will they cost 2500 or 3000 or whatever?
MD-Tank: AW1-3 MD-tank or AW4 MD tank? there's a huge difference (AW4 MDtank costs 12000 and is a little better than a normal tank and AW1-3 MD tank costs 16000 and rips off any small groundunit)
Anti-Tank: This Unit was considered to be rather useless in AW4, it only helped you buying time when you got pushed back.
Missiles: these Units were nearly useless in all the 4 games, they could only block enemy airports and slow down (but not stop!) an enemy air assault and were much too expensive
Cruiser: AW2- AW3- or AW4-style? 16000?, 18000? whatever?
Battleship: AW1-3 or AW4?
Carrier: this unit was considered to be the worst unit in AW4 and I honestly never really found a use for this Unit in AW3 since it was way too expensive!
B-Copter: AW1-3 or AW4 (I prefer AW4)
Fighter: AW1-3 or AW4?
Bomber: AW1-3 or AW4?
For the usefulness of these Units (Gunboat, Flare, Seaplane):
Gunboat: this unit was the reason why AW4 sea game sucked: they only had 1Ammo and did a lot of damage to other ships while being very inexpensive (6500) and whoever managed to reload his Gunboats first, won the Seafight. If you want this unit to be in your game, youll have to change it!
Flare: this unit had 2 uses outside FoW: 1. repelling an enemy Reconrush, while not having enough money to buy a tank. 2. when playing vs. / as Penny/Lili and Stormfront caused Rain and there's FoW around for 3 Days. In FoW this was a really helpful Unit, I'd be happy to see it again.
Seaplane: This unit could only be produced in a carrier, had low fuel and low ammo while having about the same stats as a Stealthbomber in DS (weaker than a Bomber vs ground and weaker vs Air than a Fighter). It was only useful if you had a Predeployed Carrier.
For the Megatank: the AW4 Megatank was basically a AW1-3 MD-tank that had only 4MP instead of 5. If you add +1 MP to you'll have the old MDtank back. (I agree that there's no need for any stronger tanks than a 16000$ tank, but the 16000 tank should at least be in this game)

I know that there are more questions than answers, but I have to know what we're talking about before I can give more feedback. I hope I could help you. PM me if you have questions.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am

Well, the AW4 War Tank is certainly not unbalanced at all. The AW3 one however was a bit of a derpunit.

As far as gunboats go, they weren't the only reason the sea game sucked. One of the reasons, but the rest of the reasons have existed since AW1.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:35 pm

For now, until testing, I'll keep the costs of land units the same as in Days of Ruin, along with their stats. What will be changed are the costs of some of the naval units and air units.

Initial Duster concept art:

Orange Star

Blue Moon

Green Earth

Yellow Comet

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 am

Hey Xenesis, I've recently seen your old CO Walker, and he could bring some interesting gameplay to Yellow Comet in this gaiden. Would you mind if I used him? Below is the concept I instantly had when reading about him. Hope you enjoy.

Each CO will be played with twice, just like in AW2, against White Sun in their respective battlegrounds.

CO play styles I have in mind:

Orange Star:
COs that modify stats and specialize in simple play styles.

Blue Moon:
The last CO may specialize in a unit type.

Green Earth:
CO who specializes in fortifications (i.e. makes use of bunkers and trenches). The other two are unknown.

Yellow Comet:
Not sure.

White Sun:
At least four COs and the dictator. So far, I know that one will be the dictator's daughter, who is know in White Sun as a brilliant strategist and "The Water Maiden" for how rain seems to follow her wherever she goes, even in the desert. She will be know for her raincoat, which will be based on Burberry's iconic trench-coat design. http://www.womenstreasure.info/wp-conte ... _thumb.jpg

I want these guys to be fairly balanced, but interesting, so expect them to be posted in the CO design center for review and development.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:07 pm

To make him fit even better with Yellow Comet, he could also be called Ganba, which is short for Ganbaru, meaning "persistent" in Japanese.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Rough sketch of Alexander. Since he is idealistic, I might raise his head higher before starting his sprite.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Your CO concept art looks really great :)

When writing the story, and if you are planning on keeping some old CO's in but not all, it means the "universe" is still the same, and it might be an idea to use some the old CO's showing up for story purposes (like explaining about their specialist department/CO powers). Especially as drawing is your strongest point anyway.
My sig is a void.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:09 am

Well the universe is the same but in a later time period, with some changes to the unit roster to reflect the times. I see where you're coming from though, since abstract play styles like the ones from the COs above may need explaining for beginners. I may have to include old COs because some of their play styles represent the best and simplest Advance Wars CO designs can get. We'll see.

For the navy, the new unit I have in mind is a Destroyer. It has two phases of attacks:
- The first is a ranged ballistic attack, with a range of 4, but is blind at +1, just like a Battleship.
- The second is a laser attack, but this has to be charged. Similar to how a sub takes a turn for diving, charging the laser also takes a turn. So does discharging. While the laser is charged, the Destroyer uses more fuel per day than normal (I'm thinking the same ratio as a Submarine between above water and dived). You can still choose your first attack, but you will still be in charged state. The laser can only be fired in a straight line, at a maximum range of 8 spaces. It is significantly stronger than its regular attack, but the strength can be determined through playtesting. Once fired, you'll have to recharge. I'll get to damage later.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:32 am

Ricojeh wrote:Well the universe is the same but in a later time period, with some changes to the unit roster to reflect the times. I see where you're coming from though, since abstract play styles like the ones from the COs above may need explaining for beginners. I may have to include old COs because some of their play styles represent the best and simplest Advance Wars CO designs can get. We'll see.
You don't have to use the old specialist CO's either even though they represent the simplest playstyles.
Let's say, you can have a Sami clone, with Sami teaching the nephew everything he/she needs to know about infantry tactics and how to use her CO power, part in dialogue, and maybe part in a textwall appearing somewhere throughout the campaign.

This is especially true if you start working with the AWDoR Co system instead of the AW2 CO system (that means, having a CO Zone and (faster) charging inside zone).

(You know, I've been working on a custom campaign too, so I've thought about a lot of stuff in the past).
My sig is a void.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks for the advice. Is your custom campaign posted in this forum?

Update: In the first post, I've added a CO list.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:19 pm

No; progress halted before I deemed it worthy to post it here. Maybe I'll post the CO's I finished here someday, though, as I have 4 CO's finished and 3 CO's almost finished.
My sig is a void.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:53 am

I'm changing Seaplanes to Drones, so now Carriers make and carry Drones. They have the same properties for now, just a name and design change.
Last edited by Ricojeh on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Drone concepts:

Orange Star

Blue Moon

Green Earth

Yellow Comet

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:36 pm

I must admit, regardless of what you end up doing with it all this concept art is nice stuff.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

89305092R

Post by 89305092R » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:53 pm

That concept art is significantly awesome... makes me think that I should draw more AW stuff. Also, with the duster concept art, I'd suggest changing the Yellow Comet one (it looks too similar to the fighter). Since the duster is meant to be an earlier fighter for each nation (and since Yellow Comet's fighter is about equivalent to the DoR dusters), maybe you could make it a biplane. That would be the epitome of cool.
When adventure knocks, answer the door.
When war comes calling, hit the floor.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Playing FE:A inspired me to revisit this concept and redo some of the mechanics. For one, I'd like to think of other ways to use the COs in the DoR format, as well as blending old CO powers and effects with the mechanics of DoR.

Here are some other ideas:

For new units, the technology of this game could focus on drone development. Drone planes, boats, and land units. There are at least three, one for each unit type, but I can imagine another for land. At max, there would be five or six drones, with one or two already being available to players to show a present adjustment to modern warfare and allow a CO to specialize in them. This new technology also presents strengths and weaknesses that differ from normal units: while drones are more durable and immune to weather conditions, they are restricted in movement and speed of production. Modems are their means of operation, so players would have to capture satellite towers/nodes to establish contact with a control network. I'm not sure whether this signal extends to the whole battlefield or within a decisive area, but this is a necessary step in producing drones. If its the later, drones may only operate outside the range for one turn, before being deactivated.

Radio towers could double as modems, but a new building would allow for simpler gameplay and new forms of map design. Drones can be built regardless of owning a satellite tower, but they would be inactive.

A completely different possibility is satellite towers improving the power or effectiveness of drone units. While not as restrictive, it is simpler.