Sudden Death and Blitz Modes

-Design Maps
Show off your creative stuff here. Comics, units, maps, spritework or anything creative to do with Advance Wars.
Ricojeh

Sudden Death and Blitz Modes

Post by Ricojeh » Fri May 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Came up with these from a chess game. Both of these are timed modes.

Sudden Death Mode - each player must end each of their turns within a specified time limit (such as one minute), or forfeit the match.

Blitz Mode - Complete map objectives within a specified time limit (5-30 minutes) or turn limit (days), or game over for all players. For actual time, where one player finishes, another must begin, and seconds pass according to map speed set in options. Only accounts for time outside of battle/power animations.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Sudden Death and Blitz Modes

Post by Linkman » Sat May 02, 2015 12:37 am

GipFace was proposing a time limit be enforced in online AW to make it playable. Something like 30 seconds base + 3 seconds per unit.

Five minute or one minute chess matches work because you only move one unit per turn, but Advance Wars takes a little longer.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 am

I do think a chess-clock setup would be neat though.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Ricojeh

Post by Ricojeh » Sat May 02, 2015 2:38 pm

In the map selection options, the timer could be custom set by minutes, tens of seconds, and seconds. For sudden death, the max could be ten minutes, while the default setting is five minutes. The minimum could be one minute or 30 seconds, which can favor matches on smaller maps... I'm more interested in seeing how players act when under such restrictions, especially pros in tournament level games.

Is there a way to add this to AWBW?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sat May 02, 2015 3:16 pm

AWBW? Doubt there's any way to setup that in a way to enforce it. It'd require them to add it on the backend.

There was a hack for Days of Ruin that added the Random Timer to all game modes (and I'm sure at some point I can code a chess clock or turn timer into every other AW game).
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.