Project Advance Wars Frontier

-Design Maps
Show off your creative stuff here. Comics, units, maps, spritework or anything creative to do with Advance Wars.
The Thunder

Project Advance Wars Frontier

Post by The Thunder » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:27 am

You can check my signature to link to the site where I am introducing my own custom Advance Wars... uh... thing. Here's some cover art to keep you amused for now.
Feel free to say what you like (reasonably, that is) and maybe you can make requests for what you'd like to see next in terms of drawing. This is a work-in-progress from a serious artist, so put me to the test if you wish.

Airnike

Re: Project Advance Wars Frontier

Post by Airnike » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:28 am

Your art looks very much like a comedy AW.

I dunno if it's me, but the three guys at the up-right do look very much alike.
Also, is it me or are you bringing back only Max?
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:38 am

"Cartoony" is one of my stronger points as an artist. And yes, those three guys do look alike because their original references come from a single character from The World Ends With You. A cheap shot, I know, but it's all I envisioned at that time. So no, it's not just you. But one of them has a sleeveless uniform. And I'm not just bringing Max back. My story writing and art design 'project' is set to have every CO from AW2 and AW:DS return. Adding the newbies, I'm shooting for a total of 49 COs. So if you think I only brought Max back... well... as a start, I'm guessing you don't know who the silhouette is in my signature.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:49 pm

I don't.
Also, as monkymeet pointed out, one seems to be from Custom Wars. not that I even know much about it.

But yeah, if you're bringing everyone back, you have already having around a thirtiful of COs around. I once tried 50 COs, but this didn't turn out too well.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Good. That keeps the mystery alive.

This is more of a showcase of story writing and drawing than anything, so I'm not initially carrying this into actual development. You may recognize Sophie and Ember from Custom Wars, but go to my site section via my signature if you need to get clarified on which ones I designed.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:53 am

and maybe you can make requests for what you'd like to see next in terms of drawing.
My brother has currently requested me to draw Olaf next, so you'll see my version of him in time. Anything else? I can take up to three requests, so as of now, I'll allow two more.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Okay, I've fully drawn Olaf as of now and added his profile to my project site.
http://artissimo-art.deviantart.com/art/Olaf-547769222
Again, check the link in my signature for more info.
Last edited by The Thunder on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:47 am

His beard grew. =)
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:19 am

That's because it's based off a fan art which had the beard at the same length.

Grimm is next. Anything else?

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:59 am

My vector-based drawing of Grimm.
http://artissimo-art.deviantart.com/art/Grimm-547769293
Wow, I'm done already?

I wonder who I'll draw next...
Last edited by The Thunder on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:30 pm

They look pretty nice.

Hm, what about Sami?
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:39 pm

There's too much electricity in this topic.

The_Thunder and Thunderwalker talking about Lightning Grimm. :P

But art! Yay art.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Did Grimm just punch through his own arm doe? xD
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:05 pm

ThunderWalker: Sami's already done. I told you, follow to the link on my signature, click the COs link at the bottom to get to the profiles, and you'll find Sami. Or, if you're lazy, just go here: http://artissimo-art.deviantart.com/art/Sami-535553903

Xenesis: Thank you, Master Xenesis!

Airnike: Hahaha... Are you familiar with that pose anyway?

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:31 am

I see. Nice!
However, when I see all those COs next to each other, I wonder how much time has passed between the various drawings, since some are better than others.

Also - for fanart in general - try drawing the caracter in a way different pose than we know him or her as.
For example, to stick with Sami for the example; we all know her wielding a gun. This time, she's sitting behind a desk, handling the paperwork that comes with being an army officer, struggling not to fall asleep.
My sig is a void.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:45 am

I tried practicing with different styles, which might explain the different results. But yeah, I wonder the same thing to be honest.

For fan art, normally this would be the case, but for the case of this art and story project, I am drawing each and every CO as if it were 'official art'. Now if I was drawing something for a 'gallery', like with AW2 and AW:DS, then maybe that would be a different thing. If you look at the stats/profiles of COs Brad and Bridgette on my site, you may notice that I put up their alternate colors as well. As for fan art, the first character I drew that wasn't my own was none other than CO Flak.

This may come as a shock, but I use the program Photoshop Elements 7 to do all my drawings and I use several layers to draw the outlines and fill in the colors.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:24 pm

The Thunder wrote:Airnike: Hahaha... Are you familiar with that pose anyway?
Of course I'm familiar with that pose. I was just using some humor instead of just saying the arm was placed too low, etc. My apologies for trying to offer a little bit of criticism.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:37 pm

No, I'm fine with that. I knew you were kidding. ;) But I also wanted to check and see if you knew the pose. I had the pose planned in my head for some time and for reference, I rearranged Grimm's official art from AW:DS using Photoshop.

Grimm is wearing clothes, though. And technically, I think he's fat.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:04 am

I've decided to draw Rachel next. Anything else? I'll take up to two more requests.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:19 am

Heeeeeere's Rachel!
http://artissimo-art.deviantart.com/art ... -547769406
So is she just as cute as you remember? Or does she look strangely older than Nell? :twisted:
Last edited by The Thunder on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:56 am

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:00 am

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:09 am

Okay, I've drawn "vector" images of all the COs for my art and story project. Now, has it really come down to lack of activity on this forum because we haven't had an Advance Wars game in years? Well, I thought introducing a new art and story would spark some interest, but I guess it takes a little more than that to breathe new life into this forum.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Yeah, there's a lot of laws of motion going on in here. There's nothing to genuinely excite everyone anymore.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Xenesis wrote:Yeah, there's a lot of laws of motion going on in here. There's nothing to genuinely excite everyone anymore.
Only a new AW game indeed. But hey, any real effort put into anything is laudable by itself, regardless of whether it's appreciated or not.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:56 pm

HPD wrote:
Xenesis wrote:Yeah, there's a lot of laws of motion going on in here. There's nothing to genuinely excite everyone anymore.
Only a new AW game indeed. But hey, any real effort put into anything is laudable by itself, regardless of whether it's appreciated or not.
QFT.

While I'm often not really willing to log-in, I always check the threads here for cool fan-art, and I really like the drawings, even if some are a bit too cartoonish for my taste (but that has little to do with the quality, but with personal preferences and design choices).
My sig is a void.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:34 pm

In that case, no one can say I never tried.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:25 am

Many tried, and many failed.
My sig is a void.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:04 am

Only on this forum, I hope. I will NOT be a failure in real life.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:56 pm

It's more of a general apathy towards Advance Wars, man.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:12 pm

The Thunder wrote:Only on this forum, I hope. I will NOT be a failure in real life.
That's the spirit!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:36 pm

Yeah, and it's really no one's fault we haven't seen an Advance Wars game in... like... I dunno, seven years or so. Well, I'll still be hanging around this site at least. I'm not giving up hope.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Linkman wrote:It's more of a general apathy towards Advance Wars, man.
More specificially, towards custom AW projects.
My sig is a void.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:06 pm

I guess what really doesn't help is that I'm more of a game artist than a game designer. I can draw and write stories, which you think would be the things that can get people emotionally invested in something. You know, good artwork and story.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:03 pm

you must've missed all the Custom Wars drama

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:08 pm

Bonesy wrote:you must've missed all the Custom Wars drama
To be fair, that's going on to something that happened close to a decade ago.

That's like, ancient internet history.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:22 pm

oh man! all those times we argued about stats when someone could've popped out a custom build in 1/20th of the time!

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:28 pm

Bonesy: Yep, sure did.

Xenesis: The closest thing to all this that I've heard of now is Custom Wars Tactics... assuming that's not exactly dead either. I wonder... would that project's completion change anything here or the AW fandom for that matter?

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:45 am

Time for me to introduce custom units of my own.

Plasma Infantry
Attack: 1
Fuel: 50
Move: 2
Vision: 2
Cost: 5000
Weapon 1: Plasma Cannon, 4 rounds
Weapon 2: Machine Gun

Inspired by the Plasma weapon from Star Fox Assault that Fox McCloud totes while wing-riding, these soldiers tote powerful plasma cannons invented by Lash and can take on stronger tanks such as Medium Tanks and Neotanks.

Mountain Crawler
Attack: 2-6
Fuel: 80
Move: 8
Vision: 4
Cost: 24000
Weapon: Mountain Cannon

This is basically like a Piperunner, except that they move on bases and mountains only, thus they will always get higher terrain defense than most other units. Invented by Lash. When I did the sprite design, I just made a Piperunner with legs, so if anyone else can envision a possibly better design, let me know.

Aqua Bomb
Attack: N/A
Fuel: 45
Move: 9
Vision: 1
Cost: 25000

Explosive torpedoes invented by Lash, the Aqua Bomb was made to serve the same purpose as Black Bombs, but because they're torpedoes, they can actually dive and hide from enemy units. When they explode, they damage all units within range, including air units, strangely enough.

Com Jammer
Attack: ?
Fuel: N/A
Move: N/A
Vision: 5
Cost: N/A
Weapon 1: Laser, infinite rounds

Com Jammers, inspired by the Aparoid radar jammers from Star Fox Assault, are a nasty force to be reckoned with. Created by the seven commanding generals of Black Star with Mepher overseeing the project. Their attack range is identical to the laser turrets from Advance Wars 2 and they are capable of dealing 100% damage against any kind of unit. But because they have to attack, even their power can vary depending on the CO in command. For example, Flak's dispersion rate may cause a Com Jammer to not completely destroy a unit. They also cannot fire on hiding units and like Oozium, they are immune to CO Powers and splash damage and take minimal damage from indirect units. And lastly, as long as but one Com Jammer is in place on the battlefield, all Com Towers from all opposing armies have their effects nullified until the Com Jammers are destroyed. In team battles, this also applies. Allied Com Towers are unaffected, but enemy Com Towers are... well... jammed. So they were made exclusively to knock out Com Tower power and upset communication.

...And I'm pretty sure I came up with this grid-based design of the Ion Storm unit from the Advance Wars Comedians Wiki. If I didn't, my apologies and credit goes to whoever.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Plasma Infrantry seems to be rather cheap for it's stats, and especially if it can take on tech units.