Advance Wars: Online (AW:OL [pun!]), in 3D, by me...

-Design Maps
Show off your creative stuff here. Comics, units, maps, spritework or anything creative to do with Advance Wars.
Pi_r_[]ed

Advance Wars: Online (AW:OL [pun!]), in 3D, by me...

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:46 am

OK, ok. As my first post, let me introduce myself. I'm Frank, I've got a project going on at Overclocked remix, I'm a student, and I have too much free time. After sifting around the web, this seems to be the best forums to settle down with a large set of ideas. Not being on for speeches, let me get to my point:

A USER-MADE 3D ONLINE ADVANCE WARS GAME (I can only hope this isn't being planned anywhere else, I didn't do that much research... for that matter, I hope the name isn't taken, either.)

Ah, well. Like I said, too much free time. I was thinking of stuff to do, and got around to starting up work on making ALL vehicles in Advance Wars into 3D models. So far, I have three from Black Hole, the rockets, missiles, and APC:

They aren't my best work, but Its still pretty good, right? Expect me to post the Green Earth Md Tank very soon (Which looks much better, BTW)

Point, making it into a full game, an idea that came to mind shortly after staring in the first place. I would need artists, developers, programmers, and most of all, SUPPORT!

So, who's interested? I think this'll go down pretty well, no cease and desist letters, hopefully....

Sleepnowinthefire

Post by Sleepnowinthefire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:50 am

cool, how will this run? A 3D AW or will it be in real time? can't wait for the GE md tank, i love that unit.
shwat??

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Run? I don't know. Maybe Java like runescape. Maybe it's a program, so all you need is an internet connection. I don't know, but I'd like to have a re-done campaign mode in there too.

No, it will not be real-time, just same-old same-old advance wars, with shiny 3D-ness.

psychotic guy

Post by psychotic guy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:50 pm

As for online versions of AW, AWBW's up and running for browser based, and CW is pretty far into testing (and has working versions and stuff).

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:02 pm

Are any of them animated? real-time? 3D? Honestly, is this the best site to post this on? I can always move to another one, if there's a bigger one I might be able to get artists, programmers, etc off of. I'd rather be watching my own behind till I get a little farther into this project...
Last edited by Pi_r_[]ed on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psychotic guy

Post by psychotic guy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:10 pm

none have animations afaik

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:25 pm

Ha-HA!

Sleepnowinthefire

Post by Sleepnowinthefire » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:52 pm

mmm, you should put CCOs (customs COs) in as well.
shwat??

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:48 pm

Sure. One for me, one for whoever becomes my second-hand man, maybe sturm, and maybe 3 that make obscure references to Mario, Link, and Samus?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:35 am

On the name: yes, it's already been taken. Roma_emu from AWN already has a project running (well, it isn't really running anymore) with exactly the same name. Either you get permission from him to use the name (probably quite difficult) or you change it. Changing the name would probably the best option, though.

On the site part: your best bet would probably be to involve multiple communities in this, since you'll cover a much wider area that way. It should be possible to get some people from each community that doesn't already have a custom AW game (so Custom Wars and Advance Wars By Web aren't great choices). WWN would be happy to support you with this project if all goes well, I think. Perhaps you should PM Xenesis about this. He's the boss around here. But I think that, if this would happen to be someting really interesting, WWN would be able to host it. I'm not that sure, since WWN is also pretty close to CW... <_<

Ah, hell. Don't listen to me about that. Just PM Xenesis.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:00 am

HPD wrote:Roma_emu from AWN already has a project running [/b](well, it isn't really running anymore[/b]) with exactly the same name. Either you get permission from him to use the name (probably quite difficult) or you change it. Changing the name would probably the best option, though.
Well, what happened to it? If it isn't running, I don't think it should be too hard to grab ahold of. I'm all dissapointed, it took me so long to think of a good name About 6 minutes....

So, I guess, PM head-honcho Xenesis, and I think I'll hold off on going around to other sites till I see what he has to say.

Names for the three I mentioned earlier:

Martino (Mario)
Erin (Samus Aran)
Lincoln (If you can't get this, you're retarded)

I have to prep something, expect the GE Md Tank in about... 3 hours, or so.
Last edited by Pi_r_[]ed on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankdeslimste

Re: Advance Wars: Online (AW:OL [pun!]), in 3D, by me...

Post by Frankdeslimste » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:59 am

Pi_r_[]ed wrote:OK, ok. As my first post, let me introduce myself. I'm Frank
No, I'm Frank...

Anyway, hope your programm will be a succes. And even though I'm taking Java courses I'm no way in hell good enough to programm an entire game. So I'm afraid I can't help that much. ;)
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:49 am

It's missing the guy, and the machine gun on top. Ignore those pink scanlines, it's my program, it's unregistered. Thoughts?

psychotic guy

Post by psychotic guy » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:21 am

lol it's kewl

Ever considered putting this stuff up on deviantart or something?

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:17 pm

dA, huh? I think that might be a not-so-bad idea, but I think I'd need a few more before I started something over there. Rather make a big splash all at once than just a few ripples over time...

Looking around this forum, I think I've decided on definitely including custom terrain (Like clouds, polluted water that lowers defense, and a FoW-like smog), maybe including a Mii-like "Create a CO" for online play, with distributable points for skills and affects (Which, If I choose to include it, wouldn't affect rank, and would only be used during "free" matches). New vehicles... I'm on the edge. I'd have to see something that really catches my eye, makes me go "Ooh...". I was also thinking of including a separate part, with design room, but an option would be hexagonal-tiled levels, to mix it up and remove that 3p problem. I wonder how that'll go down.

So, what? Again, thoughts are appreciated. And some people signing up to help wouldn't be such a bad idea, either... Programmers, artists, hell, even "concept guys", or thinkers. Maybe just people to go around, spread the word, to get others interested.

...Almost forgot, any suggestions on my next vehicle to start on? I've already got the YC Md Tank about 1/3 done, so don't bother with that.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:57 pm

HPD wrote:On the name: yes, it's already been taken. Roma_emu from AWN already has a project running (well, it isn't really running anymore) with exactly the same name. Either you get permission from him to use the name (probably quite difficult) or you change it. Changing the name would probably the best option, though.

On the site part: your best bet would probably be to involve multiple communities in this, since you'll cover a much wider area that way. It should be possible to get some people from each community that doesn't already have a custom AW game (so Custom Wars and Advance Wars By Web aren't great choices). WWN would be happy to support you with this project if all goes well, I think. Perhaps you should PM Xenesis about this. He's the boss around here. But I think that, if this would happen to be someting really interesting, WWN would be able to host it. I'm not that sure, since WWN is also pretty close to CW... <_<

Ah, hell. Don't listen to me about that. Just PM Xenesis.
Custom Wars is essentially in it's own little world now, which is perfectly fine by me, and what was essentially intended when I took up the mantle after the second community crash. It just happens that I administrate both of them. :P

Although, to be fair Custom Wars has been in programming for about 6-7 months and it's only just starting to get to the stage where polish to the interface and game would be necessary, but regardless. Even if you're serious finding competent programmers, plus just time alone will take several months to pull everything together. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but be aware that an online AW game is a lot of work. Especially so when you compare 2d to 3d.

And as AWBW is web based, so it's simply not going to happen for 3d. Custom Wars is also fairly established, so adding 3d support would be a major re-write. But then, the focus of CW is fan creations.

I have no problems supporting another project on my webspace though, if you can prove that it's a serious project.

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:31 am

Wow.

I just went and checked out CW, and I'm blown away. Not by the concept, but by the custom vehicles and stuff. It looks real nice. I was thinking, as far along as that is, maybe I could supply some support, a 3D mode could be added? I'd just rather jump on something already in progress than start something myself. I actually got extremely excited when I saw those new units. The CCO's... not as much, but it's a matter of opinion.

In the meantime, I have a bit of a treat for everybody. Not a vehicle, but still good (again, ignore those scanlines, please):

That's one big scene there, heres the BH base up close:

Xenesis, think about it. I'd be willing to carry more than my own weight around for that opportunity.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:19 pm

That's actually very stylish.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:33 pm

Thank you 8)

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:58 am

Those drawings are indeed quite good. I like it.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

The Saffron Emperor

Post by The Saffron Emperor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:05 am

Xen, would it be possible to include some of the 3D drawings in CW?
--
Haha! They call me "Saffron."

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:33 am

A 3D mode in CW would be really really sexy.

That is all.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:43 pm

Marceux wrote:Xen, would it be possible to include some of the 3D drawings in CW?
See, I don't see why not, but getting a 3d rendering engine is a reasonable amount of work.

You'd have to ask Urusan or Mooglegunner because I don't know enough.

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:40 pm

I actually have an animation renderer, too... *cough*

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:13 pm

O.o

holy shiat.

3D custom wars would be awsome....

COME HELP NAO.

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:20 am

How about this: I can't seem to get CW working on my computer, so you give me full sprites of those new units, territories, terrain, whatever... I want to take a stab at those.

After I get maybe one or two of those done, I'll go ahead on CW. But one question: which do you people have in mind? A full-3d mode, or a 2d mode with 3d sprites?

When I get done with those, what forum should I start a thread up in? I guess that would make that two questions...

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:15 am

Just have a look see around here:

Units: http://www.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?t=2556

Terrain: http://www.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?t=284

yoyooyoyoy

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:45 am

Much thanks, but you see, some of them, like the artillerycraft don't have images with the posts.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:09 pm

just... download CW and look around the images folder.

but for the BAs... I think they should be somewhere around here:

http://www.customwars.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:45 pm

Actually, something might help me out here. I've played every advance wars game, but not socially. Right here, right now, give me every peice of AW slang and shorthand. I'm working on some stuff, but it'd help me browse the forums a bit.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention, yes, there is an image for artillerycraft, but is the map sprite. In fact, do you mean to tell me CW doesn't show battle animations? Please explain.

setokaibarocket

Post by setokaibarocket » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:05 pm

I like this project a lot; keep up the good work ^_^ Unfortunately I don't play socially much either though, so I can't help you there :S

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:25 pm

Since CW has a large tourneytard following and is entirely browser-based, I would suspect that it has no battle animations.

setokaibarocket

Post by setokaibarocket » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:41 pm

I think they plan to have battle animations but as of yet the feature hasn't been implemented.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:14 am

Terragent wrote:Since CW has a large tourneytard following and is entirely browser-based, I would suspect that it has no battle animations.
CW's entirely Client based. It's the complete opposite of AWBW. <_<;

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:29 am

I guess Terr meant to say 'AWBW' there. :P
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:09 am

setokaibarocket wrote:I like this project a lot; keep up the good work ^_^ Unfortunately I don't play socially much either though, so I can't help you there :S
Hey, I know you! Thanks for the support, everyone.

Alright, say it has no battle animations. Say, for the artillerycraft again, I've seen images of the whole thing close, but cut off at both ends. Can someone get me sprites of all the custom units? Maybe even a bigger help, can someone explain what the deal is with the new armies, whose sprites are what, and whatever. Again, knowing some shorthand would help too, especially with all the custom stuff.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:25 am

There will be animations implemented in CW (visual options to turn it on/off of course)

And for the artillerycraft specifically....

huh... strange...

I cant seem to find it <_<

But I know it exists, Ive seen it before.

Ahh Ill try asking Xaif for it <_<

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:17 pm

OK, I don't know which army this is, but I did another base, here ya go:

It's a little difficult to get some of these bases in my head, before I work on them, especially that black one. Does anyone know if there were every any concept sketches? That would help. I keep saying it, but please, PLEASE someone explain all these custom armies, and shorthand, PLEASE.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:38 pm

try posting at the CW Forums, as I really don't have all the resources needed to answer some of the questions you have.

If you ask around there, then everyone can help you.

Pi_r_[]ed

Post by Pi_r_[]ed » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:29 pm

And as I leave you, I ask the question, what forum? I need max exposure, seriously. Point one of them out please.

Oh, and another base!