WWN Character Battle 2012 - THE FINAL: Lin vs. Sami

This is the Archive Forum. Old Debates, Tournaments and Threads worthy of note will be stored here.

Choose Your Champion!

Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:57 am

Image Lin (Days of Ruin)
45%
Image Sami (Advance Wars Series)
55%

Total votes: 22

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

WWN Character Battle 2012 - THE FINAL: Lin vs. Sami

Post by HPD » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 am

So yeah, it's as many people feared in the semis: an AW vs. AW final. I honestly never expected this to happen, but I think it proves that though many people deny it, AW is still highly popular amongst our community.

You could see this battle as the 'old' AW games versus Days of Ruin. Sami and Lin personify both sides. I wonder who'll bring home the title.

---

(4) Lin
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Lin is the second-in-command of the 12th Battalion, nicknamed Brenner's Wolves (after commander Brenner). She is an apt tactician and logician and adds a more cynical point of view to Brenner's ideas on the goodness of humanity. She does respect the man a great deal, though. In-game, she's one of the stronger COs out there.

Supreme Logician (Lin's Theme)

(2) Sami
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Sami is a CO in the Orange Star army and has been around ever since the first Advance Wars game was released back in 2001. Her last appearance was in Dual Strike, after which the series got a reboot in Days of Ruin. In all games she appears in Sami specializes in infantry units. Her powers give these units more firepower, movement and even increased capture speed! While she's friendly and good-natured towards her allies, she's a fierce enemy who's not afraid to tell her enemies to piss off. Don't make her angry!

Also, she's supposedly dating Eagle. No one knows how serious their relationship is, however.

Sami's Theme
And a cool guitar cover of said song
Sami's Debut!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Kanzer

Re: WWN Character Battle 2012 - THE FINAL: Lin vs. Sami

Post by Kanzer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:48 am

These are boring characters for a final, but Sami isn't actually mediocre so she gets the vote no doubt.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Drat, my usual approach of "who's showing their navel" is useless here.

Going with Lin. It's been a while since I've played either game so my exact memories of the characters are a bit hazy, but I think there's something about her cynicism that's entertaining, especially when she's snarky about it.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Sami, no doubt about it.
My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Lin, because she is an actual character and not a cardboard cutout.

They both have exposed midriff too, so Sami's only asset doesn't help her.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am

lin's hotter

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:44 am

You guys are awful. I can't begin to tell you how many times I'd like to hit you.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 am

Chill out. Just a character battle, yo.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:59 am

Yes hon, I actually have an urge to hit people over this character battle.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Treed, just have a laugh at the reasoning applied.

But yes, it turned into a Character Miss 2012 Election instead of a Character Battle. :lol:
My sig is a void.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:08 pm

i'm team sami
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 am

Go Sami!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:09 am

8-10 for Sami with two days left! Will Sami take the title or will Lin make a sudden comeback?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

Lin. That cutscene of her shooting Greyfield, whoa man.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:13 pm

I can't really vote against Sami now, can I? Not with the destruction I've wrought over the years with Victory March - it always was one of the most satisfying powers to use in AW2/DS.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:10 am

I voted Sami because I can remember her theme.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:07 am

AND IT'S OVER! With a final score of 10 to 12, Sami is now the official winner of the WWN Character Battle 2012, proving once and for all that the old AW games are still and will remain very close to all of us.

All hail Sami!

I hope you've all had fun with this contest! I certainly did. We'll probably be back next year with yet another contest. I don't really know what I'm going to do then, but we'll see. For now, thank you for voting and go check out the amazing games that were represented in this contest you didn't know about!

This topic will remain open for post-contest commentary but I'll archive it once interest seems to be gone.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 am

Woo hoo.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 am

sami's terrible what a bad contest who voted for her anyway
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Well, the participants aren't any better. :P

Sami's fine as a victor, if we look the other characters.
My sig is a void.