Advance Wars 2: Andy's Adventure v0.9 (NC, HC, WR!)

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

Mark999

Advance Wars 2: Andy's Adventure v0.9 (NC, HC, WR!)

Post by Mark999 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:29 pm

:geflash: Here it is!! For the first time in AW hacking history, a brand-new custom campaign hack of Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising! :geflash:

Starring this guy!

Maybe!

Well, it isn't! Crazy maps and weird stuff await! Such as:

Impossible situations!

ImageImage

Bending of the laws of physics!

Silly HQ captures!

And factories!

Download it todaaaaaay: (Apply to a CLEAN AW2 US ROM. No cleaner patch included sorry!)
https://www.mediafire.com/?eeptgygdd3g76yi

Major props to Xenesis for the fixes to Hachi's AI! Oops, did I spoil something?

Hack progress: 30/30 NC maps, 30/30 HC maps, 30/30 War Room maps

NOTES: Half the War Room maps haven't been tested for balance! Also there may be a bug in HC where the game locks up due to too many stars printed on screen; if this happens to you, mash through the mission select before they all appear!
Last edited by Mark999 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Advance Wars 2: Andy's Adventure (Beta, NC complete)

Post by Linkman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Fun fact: the Bolivian navy has all its ships in Lake Titicaca.

(Bolivia has been a landlocked country ever since they lost territory to Chile in war.)
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Sweet. I'm gonna put this on my flashcard.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Flood

Post by Flood » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:52 am

Will give this a try. Looks good!

Boublil

Post by Boublil » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:38 pm

I have alot of fun playing this, but that reminds me how I suck at advance wars.

How am I even supposed to S rank the first mission ? I can finish it in 7 days, 6 if I loose one tank and one infantry.
I probably missed the best strategy out there.

Also, do you intend to make a let's play of you hack like you did with the WR challenge ? Because I loved it and watched the whole playlist, very inspirating !

Boublil

Post by Boublil » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Well, like 15 seconds after posting this, I S ranked the 1st mission, phew !

I feel I will have troubles with this hack !

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:17 am

Er, I'm probably not going to LP my own hack. What would even be the point of making it then?

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Finished playing the campaign a few days ago.

My thoughts:
- The first map took me a few attempts to get S rank, too :) (Didn't go for full rank S, managed to get a lot though. First non S rank was 4th map of Yellow Commet)
- I found the factory maps very easy, I guess it was intended to be that way.
- The hardest map for me was the one vs Grit in which you have to go from woods to woods to capture his HQ.
- Last two maps are fairly easy.

Do you plan to make HC?

Boublil

Post by Boublil » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:15 pm

Mark999 wrote:Er, I'm probably not going to LP my own hack. What would even be the point of making it then?
The point ? More advance wars video ! Your LP was really fun to watch, the commentary added a new dimension to the fights. I just hope you would have a reason to do something like that again.
Guest wrote:Do you plan to make HC?
It seems he's working on it indeed !

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:29 am

Linkman wrote:Fun fact: the Bolivian navy has all its ships in Lake Titicaca.

(Bolivia has been a landlocked country ever since they lost territory to Chile in war.)
Those aren't battleships of 40.000 tons, though.
My sig is a void.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:11 am

HC will probably come some time in the future. I'd also want to do new War Room maps because why not :P

Locklen

Post by Locklen » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:04 pm

When I reach the orange star factory, the game freezes before the CO select screen. Otherwise good campaign so far.

floating bubbles

Post by floating bubbles » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:18 am

Beat the campaign, very well done! :hit:

Think the most difficult mission was the Billy Gates Blue Moon Mission to capture 12 properties before Colin. Also the early Flak mission against Sami, I suck at naval battles.

Danchat

Post by Danchat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:07 am

I just tried out the custom campaign and I was pleasantly surprised with it. I really enjoyed the levels I played.

However, I would like to point out two things:
1: In the mission that shows off the indirect bombers for the first time, Max's missiles won't fire at my air units.
2: The game crashes when it tries to load the final level in Orange Star - the one with the factory.

I'm not really sure why it's crashing, but hopefully the problem can be fixed because I really want to finish it.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Danchat wrote:I just tried out the custom campaign and I was pleasantly surprised with it. I really enjoyed the levels I played.

1: In the mission that shows off the indirect bombers for the first time, Max's missiles won't fire at my air units.
2: The game crashes when it tries to load the final level in Orange Star - the one with the factory.

I'm not really sure why it's crashing, but hopefully the problem can be fixed because I really want to finish it.
Not sure why the Missiles aren't attacking. Could be that you're out of range, since Max still has that -1 indirect range.

As for the crash, I'm not sure what's wrong there, some are getting it and apparently others aren't - and I'm not getting this bug either, so not sure what to do there. When does it crash specifically? After picking a CO or before?

Danchat

Post by Danchat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:43 am

Mark999 wrote:
Danchat wrote:I just tried out the custom campaign and I was pleasantly surprised with it. I really enjoyed the levels I played.

Not sure why the Missiles aren't attacking. Could be that you're out of range, since Max still has that -1 indirect range.

As for the crash, I'm not sure what's wrong there, some are getting it and apparently others aren't - and I'm not getting this bug either, so not sure what to do there. When does it crash specifically? After picking a CO or before?
I'm sure I was in range of the missiles, even with Max's shorter range. Something must have been up with the AI.

The crash is happening right as the dialogue on the world map ends. The game freezes right when the level tries to load. Maybe the ROM I'm using isn't clean?

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 am

Hmmm. The ROM not being clean is a possibility. Alright, here's what I'll do for now.

I have uploaded a save state at the CO select screen for the final OS map here. You should at least be able to play onward this way. I'm also wondering if other maps have the same problem, so if this works for you let me know if anything else happens.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:26 am

For the Max Missiles thing, did you set proper AI profiles for each map, Mark? Campaign missions use the AI profile hard-coded, compared to Versus mode which uses a dynamic profile for each CO, depending on a few things.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:56 pm

I did not edit that, no. Would explain why Olaf's sea units behave oddly on one of the maps he's in. Can't remember how to edit it though.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:37 pm

There's an entry in the map header for it. Most maps work fine if you assign the CO-Specific Land, Land/Air, Land/Sea or Land/Air/Sea AI profiles to them, though.

All the ones in the original AW2 campaign are specific for their maps, so you've got a bunch of AI profiles tailored to the maps you replaced. :(

Danchat

Post by Danchat » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:30 pm

The save state's working for me so far. Thanks for uploading it!

I'll give you an update if anything else odd happens.

ivabra

Post by ivabra » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:49 am

Having finished the NC, I wanted to give you some feedback in return. SPOILER ALERT : Maybe do not read my comment if you haven't finished the campaign

I think the campaign is great, the maps are well thought, some are challenging, some are not too hard. I think a map being too hard doesn't always translate in being a good map, and here difficulty was not a problem. I really liked the dialogs with Hachi, though the map against Sonja with no bridges had a corrupted dialog, I don't know if it was intended. To be honest I didn't quite understand that map, was it the normal strategy to beat the map with only infantries & mechs being able to pass through the rivers?

I liked the weird things about Flak (Bombers & Battleships), were there any other weird things throughout the campaign? I feel like I might have missed some. Like stopping the snow/rain? It probably was intended though

The most challenging map for me was Kanbei's factory, I had forgotten how strong he was in AW2, just to be able to dominate his island took me so much lander-spam with a ton of units.

For the green earth part, playing Hawke was definitely very pleasing, especially in campaign-like maps. Eagle's factory was a very cool map, not too hard but not too easy either. I must admit that the two last maps were kind of easy though. I was also expecting Sturm to be unlocked in one of those two maps.

What about lab missions, were there any? I might have missed them as well, if they exist of course.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to your Hard Campaign version, I am very thankful for the effort you guys provide in those hacks.

WhiteStarGab

Post by WhiteStarGab » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:40 am

Guest wrote:Finished playing the campaign a few days ago.

- I found the factory maps very easy, I guess it was intended to be that way.

Do you plan to make HC?
Where?

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:57 am

Whats the main objective of this rom hack??

Illya

Post by Illya » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:04 am

Pretty fun campaign (I lulzed for the indirect bomber, the "honor" cities of Adder), although a bit unbalanced.
As said before the factory map are a bit easy, I would also say that I was rather disappointed by the green earth campaign which was quite uninteresting compared to the original game. Last 2 missions were also pretty easy.

The mission that I failed the most is the second time against Sensei.
I had to restart the mission a bunch of time, the central part of the map is quite horrible, rocket and artillery completely doomed one's progression especially without neo tank. I have to pay attention to sensei's power and move my rockets which hampered my offense.
Finally turned into a horrible grinding mission where I slowly advanced step by step.

psychoninja93

Post by psychoninja93 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Mark999 wrote:Hmmm. The ROM not being clean is a possibility. Alright, here's what I'll do for now.

I have uploaded a save state at the CO select screen for the final OS map here. You should at least be able to play onward this way. I'm also wondering if other maps have the same problem, so if this works for you let me know if anything else happens.
link is now dead and unfortunately my downloaded file crashes at the same spot and have tried multiple emulators and settings :/ i really wanna finish this campaign too

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:50 am

psychoninja93 wrote:
Mark999 wrote:Hmmm. The ROM not being clean is a possibility. Alright, here's what I'll do for now.

link is now dead and unfortunately my downloaded file crashes at the same spot and have tried multiple emulators and settings :/ i really wanna finish this campaign too
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3l053fg5f ... utput2.sgm

I knew Dropbox links would be dead eventually.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Hey all! Well now it's been like almost two years since I worked on this! How time flies. I had hoped to have the drive to make HC and War Room sooner, but I was pretty burnt out on AW after the first release. Welp, I'm back in it now and I have updates!

Hard Campaign and War Room are now up and running with a total of sixty additional maps! (However half the War Room maps are very much untested so feel free to yell at me for being awful!)

There's even accompanying dialogue for every map based on the chosen CO!

Image Image

And as an added bonus, a series of fixed "Colin vs. Kanbei on Pre-deployed" battles!

Download the new 0.9 patch here today: https://www.mediafire.com/?eeptgygdd3g76yi

Heroic Spyro

Re: Advance Wars 2: Andy's Adventure v0.9 (NC, HC, WR!)

Post by Heroic Spyro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Mark999 that was a very interesting hack I really enjoyed it. Thou I like your use of Sensei's powers using 5 HP instead of 9 that was well thought.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:02 am

gugel9999

Post by gugel9999 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 am

uh... it's crash when I play the campaign on My boy! emulator

DR_DEOERT

Post by DR_DEOERT » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:01 am

Just discovered this hack today, and enjoying the hell out of it! I also noticed that you've made a lot of little changes (such as the health of units created by Sensei, Flak's stronger A-Air units, etc.) Do you have a comprehensive list of all of those changes that we can see? Would greatly appreciate it.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:09 am

If I remember right I didn't do too much other than:

-Sensei spawns units at 5HP
-Flak has stronger AAirs and ranged Bombers
-Colin's price reduction is only -10% and his units are 90/90
-Kanbei's price hikes are the same as before but his units are now 120/120
-Hachi doesn't have a D2D anymore

Athior

Post by Athior » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:07 am

Great campaign! Are there any lab mission/way to get neotanks? Thank you!