Fire Emblem awakening

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Dragonite

Fire Emblem awakening

Post by Dragonite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:46 am

Because Monkeymeet has a point.

So, to kick off more pointless questions because I just love asking them to my fellow WWNers, as far as I´m aware, magic seems to have gotten rid of most recent nerfs? Weight is gone, growths do no longer suck, and if I´m correct all magic shares a single weapon ranks, allowing you to switch between various elements to your advantage.. That, and dark fliers introduce the one single thing magic has not done yet, flying mages.

Also, any signs of the FE fanbase as a whole figuring out what is a fair playthrough yet? I saw this blog which just went with base class and promoted class, unless he thought a reclass would produce a beter unit. To me it seems that especially with children you want to go through several classes to gain skills, which as a side effect will always cap any stat that isn´t really low. And Awakening that only seems to be defense or res, and rarely magic and strength. You always will have self imposed runs, but other then that..

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Fire Emblem awakening

Post by Xenesis » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:04 am

Yeah, weapons on FE13 no longer have weight. On the other hand, doubling speed has been raised to 5. Growths on the whole are decent, there's no one who grows terribly. Second seals allow you to bypass that problem anyway (except on Lunatic, but screw Lunatic).

And yeah, you just have one Tome Rank (with the exception of dark magic which is an on/off for various classes and/or skills and goes by your tome rank as well.)

As for a 'fair' playthrough, don't worry about it. The game is expressly set up to play how you want. Basically after the obligatory intro chapters, the whole game goes up and goes 'sup player, I know you've got this.' and leaves you to it.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:42 am

Yeah, I'm not sure what a 'fair' playthrough is, either. Even if you don't abuse the DLC maps (and I do, because why the fudge not), there's many avenues that can supercharge your characters in a similar way, given enough patience (random spawns on the map, second seals, an abundance of weapons and money even in hard).

It's a side effect of giving players more choice in a series that was traditionally about making the best of the limited resources you were given, and I think that's a good thing because I don't usually care for consistent challenge in my games.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 am

Some people on Serenesforest are taking it be: Hard/Lunatic, no skirmishes. Reclassing is fine. However, for their attempts at tier list, they assume the first few renown awards, but not weapons found on the shiny squares.

Basically, make this game like previous FEs and try not to randomize too many elements.

I honestly don't like how all magic is now one tomes. It doesn't help that Dark Magic is incredible. They snagged all the best tomes. Wind has occasional use against Wyverns (PKs tend to have too high res), and Thunder is the best all around with crit and might. Fire kinda flounders off to the side.

New Regalia DLC is nice. It offers a challenge, and I managed to snag a Balmung, Armads, and Forseti on my first run along with the Silver Card.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Psh, FE tier lists.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Yeah, like seriously, kids. FE tier lists are out of hand.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Agreed. Especially since all units have wtfgrowths in this game.

I USE WHO I WANT

Though I do wish Henry got more speed D:

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:25 pm

By the looks of it tiering is hopeless. That's nice. :p I like tiers because analysis, but this game does just not fit them.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:39 pm

What's more fun is playing matchmaker and making awesome kids.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 pm

This is a example of somebody going really old-school meta on units Just read it.. He does have a page dedicated to grinding options, but for the most part he seems to assume a 20/20, and also dicusses what could go wrong with the growths, but not what happens if they are above average. Not really a professional, but I stumbled on this looking for avatar info on google, so meh.

Speaking about the avatar, which asset and weakness did you all pick? I played around with the growth options for a while until I found out it affects the max stats as well. So by this point I already decided on female +speed -luck.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 am

I went +spd/-hp. It worked, I guess. I started doubling pretty early, and was never doubled in Hard mode.

Another minor complaint is all the skills are skill% (except Armsthrift and Miracle, I guess), or a variant. I sorta miss some of the speed% and strength% ones...

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Does Armsthrift affect tomes btw? For the small pool of characters who both get a mage and the mercenary class, it could be broken. Again,'

Exp gain doesn't seem to be without it's limitations though. The game stores levels you already changed prior to reclassing slowing exp growth. It's capped at 20,30, and 50 levens depending on difficulty.From the looks of it, it only really affects those who play with self-imposed limitations, but I haven't played the game yet ,so.. did you notice?

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:30 am

Armsthrift is one of my favorite skills in the game. I made it a point to have Inigo and Owain have 50+ luck and then loaded them with super forged weapons.,,,

Yeah. It affects tomes. And it's awesome.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:28 am

Oh, Sorcerers are painful then..

Imano Ob
3DS Code: 0516-7426-0296

Post by Imano Ob » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:10 am

Only those that can learn armsthrift, and that's a Mercenary skill. Easy enough to do in second gen if you know what you're doing, but only one non-avatar character in gen1 can do that. And she starts as a pegasus knight.
This signature is boring. I don't know why you're reading it.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:10 am

Yeah, I'll need to be careful with my pairings. I know very little about the characters themselves, so I''ll handle that later. But how do character grind after being reclassed a few times? Does it grind to a halt unless you're up against very high level enemies, or is the general yield just a bit lower?(not that you care with most raw battle stats already gained)

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:10 am

I wouldn't worry about your character pairings in your first playthrough, hon. Match up your characters for fun, then optimize in your second run if you still feel like it.

Imano Ob
3DS Code: 0516-7426-0296

Post by Imano Ob » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Dragonite wrote:Yeah, I'll need to be careful with my pairings. I know very little about the characters themselves, so I''ll handle that later. But how do character grind after being reclassed a few times? Does it grind to a halt unless you're up against very high level enemies, or is the general yield just a bit lower?(not that you care with most raw battle stats already gained)
Exp gain goes down a lot, but you still gain it. Though it's a bit ridiculous to defeat Ike and get 10 exp. At least in my experience.
This signature is boring. I don't know why you're reading it.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:49 am

Dammit I pretty much need to get a 3DS at this point don't I?
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Imano Ob wrote:
Dragonite wrote:Yeah, I'll need to be careful with my pairings. I know very little about the characters themselves, so I''ll handle that later. But how do character grind after being reclassed a few times? Does it grind to a halt unless you're up against very high level enemies, or is the general yield just a bit lower?(not that you care with most raw battle stats already gained)
Exp gain goes down a lot, but you still gain it. Though it's a bit ridiculous to defeat Ike and get 10 exp. At least in my experience.
Apparently that depends on difficulty level. Higher difficulties allow your 'internal level' to grow much higher (and thus reduce your exp gain) faster.

Enkuro

Post by Enkuro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Ugh I just got this game, and it's already taken my soul. Totally new to Fire Emblem, so I went with Normal, which seems like easy, and not normal, which bugs me, but whatever. I don't particularly mind not having to think a ton.

Most of the mechanics I've figured out through exploring, but I'm not tremendously far. Internet says OH MY GOD MARRAIGE, so I'm kind of trying to figure that out, I guess?
" No... It was indeed not a dream. We really did it. The King of All Cosmos has really done it. A sky full of stars... We broke it. Yes, We were naughty. Completely naughty. So, so very sorry. But just between you and Us, It felt quite good. ♥ "

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:02 am

I will never play a demo again. And I will take this back the moment another demo of a game I want appears.

This is torture. >_> It only will go live/in stores April 19th, so I keep picking that demo up again and again. I beat normal and hard a couple times, and I even beat lunatic(although I had to use a few units as sacrifices to heal up, since I can't save from prologue). And managed to park the of boss chapter 1 on a fortress so I could hit him as much as I wanted. Experience eventually bleeds out to nothing though.

But still 6 days left.. urgh.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:17 am

The localization is excellent.
What can change the nature of a man?

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:43 am

I managed to load €60 into my 3ds account, so I will start commencing the download around midnight ^_^ Won't have a chance to play it during the day tomorrow, but however, during my grandfathers birthday it will be useful to have around,

EDIT: LOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIIIING.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:48 am

This game is love. Also,practically infinite convoy limit? Sweet. Yes, I'm looking at you Sacred Stones. >_>

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:01 pm

YEAH

Infinite convoy is great. Spotpass is also wonderful to get those "rarer" items like Celica's Gale. Woo~

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:10 pm

To bad I can't access the gold and exp DLC yet though. Then again, natural grinding is easy enough early on. Vaike's despoil is starting to pay off, although I got activation haxed up until now on his 14+5 luck.

The main reason I went normal is that I can screw around with reclass as much as I want. 20 internal levels will slow things, but it will remain acceptable if my estimates are correct. Also manual battle and enemy phase skipping with start is just amazing.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:12 am

More general squee and love for this game. Probably my game in years. Fire emblem shares the effect I have with pokemon: simplistic joy as your critters/soldiers grow stronger and kick ass. Especially this game >_>

Adding on my joy that the convoy is infinite, it also automatically combines stored items for you make it even sweeter.

For some reason I find Donnel to be annoying though. May be the farmboy personality and the dissonance with his actual fighting skill. With armstrift he can destroy normal mode easily but... I just don't like him at all.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 am

I don't care about Fire Emblem much, but I found this a few days ago.

My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 am

awkward zombie is great

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 am

The Deus Ex comics were fantastic, since I've been playing the thing recently.
Make good choices

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 am

At chapter 18. avatar,chrom,and morgan are invincible (galeforce,armstrift,Ignis, married with Crom, etc)a few are competent, but far to many units are in need of sone grinding. In just a few chapters the difficulty goes up a fair bit. Fridge logic about crossing the map is odd as well. I try to ignore it but.. Around the Valm portion it's just plain impossible story-wise.

This game is giving me choice overkill, and that's without DLC.. Do you get the DLC skills as much if you want btw?

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah. I haven't bothered really.

Just started with MaleMU with +mag/-def on Hard/Classic. Pair-up is so obscene now that I understand the mechanics. It's been a lot easier this time. Veteran is so OP. Sticking Freddie on MU for a passive 50% exp gain is awesome. And Chrom is looking quite Myrmidon in his growths so far. He can even double with a Sumia pair-up, though I'm going to go for Olivia!Chrom to get that super assassin Inigo.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am

You can play DLC episodes as many times as you want, so you can get as many All Stats+2/Dread Scroll/Wedding Bouquet/Limit Breaker/Paragon/Iote's Shields as you want.

I'd also like to point out they're probably doing the same promotion in Eu as in the US where The DLC Episode Champions of Yore 1 was free and the Champions of Yore pack was discounted for the first month.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 pm

I've got the free Marth one at the moment, but haven't played it due Marth not being a true story character and well, if my information is correct, he's pretty broken.

Golden Gaffle will go live the 25th or something, and EXPonentional growth may 2th. I don't really need them on normal, but I might abuse them trying lunatic as their difficulty is fixed.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Has anybody even touched newcomer mode on WWN? Using a dummy file I found out it allows AW-style saving, which nobody mentioned yet here. That might just be enough to mess around with lunatic. With FE, deaths aren't really the biggest problem for me, it's rather avoiding mistakes throughout a whole battle.

Only restarted a chapter twice up until now. I believe in a early chapter something went wrong once, and in CH.10 Lissa was haxed by a killer bow archer. Oh, and a few skirmish deaths while grinding(ESPECIALLY donnel), but I usually are reckless with them, autoskip,etc.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Yeah, Casual mode is nice and relaxing. I've been playing it (It being Hard-Casual) personally.

I'll probably go for something more intense at some point, though.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:12 am

Oh gamefaqs. Some of the deeper applications of the marriage system can be quite disturbing indeed >_> Mild plot spoilers.
Hidden Text

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Golden gaffle is so broken. I already have enough gold to just buy regular stuff, but now I can go nuts forging.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:15 pm

You can make some awkward families.

Avatar(m) marries Lucina. Then have Morgan(f) marry Uncle (Chrom)Inigo. Woo.