The Super smash bros topic for U guys.

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Alecat

Re: The Super smash bros topic for U guys.

Post by Alecat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 am

It's just a better version of Lucario's old Final Smash, which was pretty bad to use. So we'll see.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:25 pm

I like how DK now actually has the beat so you get a better idea when to drum.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Except that there was already a more subtle version of the same thing and it was really easy and the new version doesn't hit any harder or go any further out so idk still a useless move.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 pm

It's a shame DK didn't get the Moon Punch.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:56 am

It's a shame DK didn't get Kong Pow, is what it is

Edit: wat

http://www.twitch.tv/epn/c/5133301
Make good choices

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 pm

yooooo I totally forgot I signed up for Club Nintendo and got the special demo, anyone still want a (US) code?

I'm still bummed they took that snazzy game card case out of rotation right before I got enough coins for it though

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:26 am

PM me one if you still have it!

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am

all hail saint kiwi!!!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Eh, the for everyone demo would have been out in a few hours regardless :P
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 pm

I played it for 5 minutes and the plastic of my circle pad comes off. >_> It actually still works as a cover when it put it back on, it's just somewhat loose now.

And I fear to report the demo has a dutch translation. I hate dutch translations..

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:51 am

Terragent wrote:Except that there was already a more subtle version of the same thing and it was really easy and the new version doesn't hit any harder or go any further out so idk still a useless move.
I mean, who actually plays with final smashes anyway? So many were just straight up annoying (space furries and sonic come to mind).

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:51 am

Dragonite wrote:I played it for 5 minutes and the plastic of my circle pad comes off. >_> It actually still works as a cover when it put it back on, it's just somewhat loose now.

And I fear to report the demo has a dutch translation. I hate dutch translations..
There was only ever one video game translated well into Dutch: Lufia II.

Well at least it's hilarious at times.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:06 am

By the way, I might not get this game if I naturally keep wrecking the circle pad with it. I keep peeling the cover off whenever I try to smash and such. Maybe I'll get Wii U someday, or the new 3ds has a better circle pad.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:11 am

i'm very afraid of wrecking the circle pad + shoulder buttons yeah.

playing super slow just in case.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:50 pm

This game feels really good (at least, the demo does). It feels like a good middle ground between the floatiness of Brawl and rock-falling speeds of melee.

I can't wait.

Megaman is pretty cool, but I think Villager is totes greatness. Link feels much better than his previous iterations, and I can't say much about pikachu and mario since I barely use them post-original smash.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:23 am

BUY GOLD

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:15 am

only got an 8.8 not buying
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:57 pm

ITS OUT

GRABBED IT

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:49 pm

great success monky!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:07 am

QUICK IMPRESSIONS:

Character I like:
Marth
Ike
Robin
Zelda
Charizard
Link
Toon Link
Duck Hunt
Pac-man
Bowser Jr.
Wii Fit

Characters I hate using:
Lucina
Pit
Pikachu
Yoshi
Peach

Unmentioned characters are either neutral or haven't been played/unlocked

I'm leaning towards Marth + Bowser Jr.

Mainly cuz Bowser Jr. is the cutest character ever.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:36 am

Went into my Tesco to get a sandwich before work. Ended up leaving with Smash Bros.

I blame whitey.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 am

Dang you remembered :(
Make good choices

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:38 am

Scratch that, Zelda feels off.

Palutena is great, though

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:27 am

why lucina bad
the dream

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:53 am

not super happy with the game but it will serve it's purpose

namely, it's an easy quick game to play, say, between classes.

and yeah, why lucina bad?
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:02 am

She should feel the same/better unless you're good with tippers. I guess Monkey knows how to land them?

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Yeah. After learning how to Marth, you have a certain expectation about how to follow up. Lucina just feels like a bad Marth. I'm sure she has some nice combo potential, but my first impressions of her are rather underwhelming

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 am

initial thoughts:

absolutely love megaman. like, new main level love. the new pokemon dude is pretty cool too. robin isn't super impressive but he's fun and basically what i was hoping for. shulk seems solid too.

villager is ok but i'm going to get myself killed planting trees. diddy kong seemed very solid, but not particularly interesting. nice final smash tho.

hate wii fit trainer. just... hate her. palutena and rosalina both have awkward playstyles too but they seem redeemable with practice. playing wii fit trainer on the other hand was one of the least enjoyable smash experiences i've ever had, lol.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:48 am

Unlocked all stages and characters, as well as finished the first panel of challenges.

Smash Run is actually pretty intense, though admittedly a bit unfair at times. Seriously, why did the one time I choose Little Mac have to be a CLIMB challenge against KIRBY?!

Paletena has a very interesting playstyle. Her tilts are wonky as butts. But honestly, I just love her for her UP SMASH BEAM OF DEATH

Went online for a few games. Kicked asses in For Fun mode. Too much fun, but I don't know if i can handle the excitement (and lag)

Then went For Glory! I don't know how to fight Shulk. His Fsmash has much longer range than I anticipate -_- But then I won a game by purely using reflect on a Samus. They weren't very smart.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:46 am

So have any of you guys heard of Harmony of Heroes? It's literally the best thing in the world. 101 songs and 385 minutes of the best thing in the world to be exact.

I seriously recommend you guys check it out. There are so many good remixes on here. It's free too.

https://www.facebook.com/HarmonyofHeroes

The site is down because of how many people were trying to download it all at once, so you have to download it from the Facebook page.
BUY GOLD

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:13 pm

i will trust your judgment and raise you a downloading their two metroid albums too

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:24 pm

So I'm having the opposite problem I used to, lol. When I was young all I used was special (B) attacks, never used normal (A) attacks when I could help it. Now I have to remind myself that my B button exists and am mostly using A attacks.

must remember both buttons exist, lol.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:11 pm

I appreciate the fact that this is a (sort of) fighting game which doesn't rely on memorising a buttload of combos and complex special moves, but is instead solely about tactics, timing and execution.

It kind of reminds me of those old school karate games I used to play on the 8-bits. There's something pure about it.

Now if I only didn't loathe 95% of the fighters

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:54 pm

That's why people won't let melee go though.. I dislike playing melee because the fast falling speed and such feels so off to play. I'm happy with the balance Sakurai had found now though.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:41 am

Fast falls in Smash 4 are *fast* compared to Brawl though, like hella whoa. Gives a lot of neutral-a airs a lot of worth.
Make good choices

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:46 am

Marth can no longer short hop double fair :/

A bit more thoughts on Bowser Jr, or BJ ;0

- Has one of the crappiest fsmashes. Laggy, easy to escape. It's pretty much trash.
- Hop out of side-b car to aerials to avoid lag, but spin out still has its uses, especially against rollers.
- Dsmash and up-b car bomb are probably best kill moves. Usmash is okay, but needs much higher percentages.
- Holy crap with down-B (koopa bot thing) and canon ball you can get some amazing stage control. Picking up the bots are an added bonus. Seriously, this move is amazing, especially on Omega stages. Pretty much any opportunity should be deploying one of these guys, as long as you also maintain pressure so they can't try to pick it up.
- Uair is pretty alright. Fair and Bair are pretty powerful, but have weird hit boxes. Will have to learn how to use them better. Dair is solid but ending lag means care is needed. Dair + up-B is sometimes really good if pulled off.
- Hammering after up-B is really strong, but also really dangerous. Apparently the cart takes 85% damage done and koopa takes 115%, or something like that.
- Ftilt and Utilt are pretty spiffy.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:05 am

monkymeet wrote:Marth can no longer short hop double fair :/

A bit more thoughts on Bowser Jr, or BJ ;0

- Has one of the crappiest fsmashes. Laggy, easy to escape. It's pretty much trash.
- Hop out of side-b car to aerials to avoid lag, but spin out still has its uses, especially against rollers.
- Dsmash and up-b car bomb are probably best kill moves. Usmash is okay, but needs much higher percentages.
- Holy crap with down-B (koopa bot thing) and canon ball you can get some amazing stage control. Picking up the bots are an added bonus. Seriously, this move is amazing, especially on Omega stages. Pretty much any opportunity should be deploying one of these guys, as long as you also maintain pressure so they can't try to pick it up.
- Uair is pretty alright. Fair and Bair are pretty powerful, but have weird hit boxes. Will have to learn how to use them better. Dair is solid but ending lag means care is needed. Dair + up-B is sometimes really good if pulled off.
- Hammering after up-B is really strong, but also really dangerous. Apparently the cart takes 85% damage done and koopa takes 115%, or something like that.
- Ftilt and Utilt are pretty spiffy.
If Villager uses his grab move on Bowser Jr.'s Cannon Ball or Bot move, he can't use it until the Villager uses it.

This is due to 3DS limitations, and OMG is it funny when you pretty much disable one of your opponent's stage control moves.
BUY GOLD

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:00 am

Well yeah, Villager is the ultimate troll.

Haven't run into anyone using him online though. It's seriously just Shulks, Megamans, and Lucinas.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:48 am

ARE YOU DOWN WITH THE ANIMES
Make good choices

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 am

monkymeet wrote:Well yeah, Villager is the ultimate troll.

Haven't run into anyone using him online though. It's seriously just Shulks, Megamans, and Lucinas.
awww two of my favorites, lol. CLEARLY I MUST PULL A HIPSTER AND MAIN OTHER PEOPLE

oh i know i'll main duckhuntdog for max hipster points