Emulating AWDS....

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Emulating AWDS....

Post by Xenesis » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:01 pm

I have discovered, much to my own amusement an emulator that actually plays AWDS quite well now. Both 2d and 3d work properly for the most part (Just the selection cursor is invisible)

But yeah, the latest version of No$GBA works a treat. And is even reasonably fast. ^_^
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:11 am

OK.

Now is when you give me the link. I can survive with an invisible cursor <_<;.

please?

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:35 am

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:35 am

lovely.

I guess luck isn't on my side. I keep getting some "data load error. Turn off the something and try again <_<" errors.

Oh well.

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:31 am

Yay!

Any sound?

Now I need to find my roms which seem to have legs and went on walkie bys. >_<

EDIT: Erm Xen, I got the same error as 'Frosty'. How did you get it to work.

In other news, it works 100% on GBA using 2 roms at the same time on my computer. :D

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:58 am

The japanese version works just..."fine". The speed could be better, but outside battles it is actually fast O.o. While on battles you will have to withstand 30-40% speed...which still isn't worse than AWBW, but still annoying <_<;.

Well, I am on mission 5 and I have been playing ever since I posted the reply above...maybe 5 minutes after that <_<

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:59 am

So does this means there'll be hacking work done on AW DS soon?

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:01 am

If you have tons of patience to get all COs (it could take weeks <_<), I suppose yes. The battles are doable and stuff.

EDIT: Actually, I believe that isn't possible. There isn't any working saving feature, at least not that I've found, so you won't be able to test the new COs. But the already unlocked COs are fair game.

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:41 am

Treedweller wrote:So does this means there'll be hacking work done on AW DS soon?
Hacking AWDS roms is becoming a lot easier but we got a little while to wait let. Seems I got to download the Japanese rom. Now if only the US/Euro will work. Silly Xen not mentioning that. :P

CO_Frosty wrote:If you have tons of patience to get all COs (it could take weeks <_<), I suppose yes. The battles are doable and stuff.

EDIT: Actually, I believe that isn't possible. There isn't any working saving feature, at least not that I've found, so you won't be able to test the new COs. But the already unlocked COs are fair game.
Actually, what you have to do is write a 'Snapshot' by clicking on File, Write Snapshot. To load it you click on File, Load Snapshot. That should do the trick.

Well multiplayer for 2 and 3P works fine at 100% on my Ember Hack. 4P sort of works but slightly slows the emulator down. Here are some screenshots:

Only problem is, I've got to make a complete AW save for the emulator. :(

CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:55 am

Have you tried doing that with FWDS (Famicom Wars <_<)? I tried that, but a random fatal error occured and it closed on my face. I lost all missions I have done T_T.

Xen

Post by Xen » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:15 am

To get it to work (0088 - AWDS (U)) you need to change the save type to 256 Flash Ram, If I recall correctly.

Edit: Yep, just confirmed. The correct save setting (Which I have tested does save) is FLASH 256KBytes. Xen also recommends turning off the sound because it doesn't really work properly yet.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:44 pm

Treedweller wrote:So does this means there'll be hacking work done on AW DS soon?
We don't necessarily need an emulator for that. We could just plonk the hacked ROMs into flash cards, which would be kind of cool.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:56 pm

Except for the fact that I don't think any of us hackery types have a DS Flashcard.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

kosheh

Post by kosheh » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:17 pm

woo hey guys forget about me or what

I just found out the other day, Falman, how much better AWDS actually works on no$gba as opposed to DeSmuMe. It's cool playing the game and actually seeing that the Grand Bolt is rippable to an extent until you realize that that vertical scaling makes EVERYTHING HARDER ARGH D:<

If it's balancing you're looking into, I WOULD SUGGEST but I'm not totally sure, try using NDSTool to dissect the ROM - but then the only problem is to put it back together and have the NDS not find it as a homebrew game...whiiiich, then in that case I guess a normal hex editor would do fine. I remember when talking to Wuffy he had hacked Max to have 190/100 indirect units or something, so see, it's totally not out of the question.

now here's where herokosh comes in

http://warsworld.paheal.net/l-awds.sav

^ That there is the save that THM and I used to get all the palettes for each CO and warpapers as well, so it's pretty much oriented towards the graphical aspects of the game - every CO but Von Bolt is unlocked there and only a few COs seem to have their color edits available. Battle Maps has most of their Color Edits for sale as well as the Sound Room and Oozium.
In the Campaign slot, the first slot is Means to an End on ...I can't remember which, Hard Campaign?
But that should help you out some if you're looking for a ...beaten game with most of the COs unlocked; so you guys don't have to sit at a computer for 47 hours just to get a few characters.

hint: it was done with a DS flashcard, so if one of you guys have one that takes .sav files too, you're in luck too and can probably like, unlock stuff

another hint: This goes in no$gba's /BATTERY/ folder and it should work by now O_o

last hint: when playing, if you're a nerd and want to see all the rich colors, in Emulation Options, instead of the screen showing "real" GBA colors, select "VGA (poppy bright)"

<_<

kosh and THM saev the day
now like, go beat the game some more so you can actually put these COs to the test
right and one more thing:
The game crashes VERY EASILY, due to an inability to render the clouds in AWDS correctly. If you printscrn, the game will crash. If you get into a battle animation, the game will crash.

Before really playing seriously, turn off the battle animations and then be on your way. :E

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Er Kosheh.

BELATED APRIL FOOLS!

I'm falman lol. I should really get to changing everyone back. >_>

EDIT: No one cares. <_<

*whipps the FTM*

RadioShadow

Oh, that's it, I'm SO changing that word filter. And don't steal my mod colour, BITCH. - thefalman
Last edited by thefalman on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:56 am

That might work Kosheh. I'll give it a go when I get home.

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:58 am

kosheh wrote:I remember when talking to Wuffy he had hacked Max to have 190/100 indirect units or something, so see, it's totally not out of the question.
I think I bumped it up to 190/190 on either indirects and directs or just direct units by the end of the day slash before I found out my flashcart doesn't dump the save file properly. But, yeah.

Anywho, how recent is that release of No$gba? I remember last time I was using it, the colors weren't exactly correct and I needed to get some *cough*asillegalasroms*cough* bios for the program to work, are things still that way?

*Wikipedias*

...Ayup, they fixed that. Never mind me.

*Blinks*
Wait, developed by Fiona Lucavi? o.o Either I've just hit the worlds' largest coincidence or I've hit the world's second largest coincidence...
CumulusCentral : It's dot-com!
"He's gonna win..." The Ever-Loving Linkman, talking about my Character Battle Predictions.

kosheh

Post by kosheh » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:01 am

thefalman wrote:Er Kosheh.

BELATED APRIL FOOLS!

I'm falman lol. I should really get to changing everyone back. >_>

EDIT: No one cares. <_<

*whipps the FTM*

RadioShadow

Oh, that's it, I'm SO changing that word filter. And don't steal my mod colour, BITCH. - thefalman
god damnit falman
it's not like I post here everyday XD How was I supposed to....care? XD

also, on an added note: My save's for the US version. I've got a Japanese version game save back at home and I'll post that up when I like

get home, just for frostykins. problem is, he'll be going through HC just to get Von Bolt in that game.

Now if no$gba or DeSmuMe supported DS BIOS language selection, because that'd be REALLY helpful in ripping the rest of the warpapers ;_;

iDeaS has it but dammit nobody likes iDeaS

kosheh

Post by kosheh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:19 pm

oh, and uh sorry about the double post

today I think, no$gba2.4a was released and like

holy crap look at it run

the sound is perfect and like

AWDS runs perfectly

and so does Elite Beat Agents XD

So I guess this means DS hacking/testing is possible now. :3

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:47 pm

fudge

fudge fudge fudge

IT WORKS fudge

It's playable, supports 3D, AND SOUND fudge

We can now actually record HIGH QUALITY soundtracks. No offense, but AWN had cuts before the song was actually over and BHHQ suffers from distortion.

KOSH, I need a savefile from you WITH THE SOUND ROOM UNLOCKED, kay?

Radio-Shadow

Post by Radio-Shadow » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:37 am

Grrr, no access to my computer. Stuipde bedroom getting decorated.

We can finally start hacking AW2. Yay!

It may even work on Phoenix Wright as well. :D

Kosheh, upload a complete save file!

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:54 am

Don't you mean AWDS there?
What can change the nature of a man?

ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:11 am

Works perfectly is an understatement in topic on CW THM said that it was still it would be improved. I'm hoping he's right because the emulator runs too slow on my computer.
rifton wrote:I think the TC deserves a medal for taking something with the most win ever, and making it fail horribly. :\

I'm still a LUEser (at heart) and proud of it

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:47 am

THM lied! D:

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:28 am

What

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:49 am

Huh?
What can change the nature of a man?

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:02 am

^ THM lied about the emulator working 100%
ubergeneral wrote:Works perfectly is an understatement in topic on CW THM said that it was still it would be improved. I'm hoping he's right because the emulator runs too slow on my computer.
:roll:

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 am

You misinterpreted uber's grammar-lacked post.

FormicHiveQueen

Post by FormicHiveQueen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:01 pm

Grrr... the new no$gba is a stupid TORRENT file. How the heck do I use it?!

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:34 pm

More information would be desirable, sir

FormicHiveQueen

Post by FormicHiveQueen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:40 pm

Three-Headed-Monkey wrote:More information would be desirable, sir
Ok... the new version of the no$gba emulator is a TORRENT file... and my computer keeps trying to open it with QuickTime... and it can't do that... so what program do I need to open a TORRENT file?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:00 am

Bittorrent. Google it.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

FormicHiveQueen

Post by FormicHiveQueen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:17 pm

I got it to work, and I tested it on AW2. Holy crap this thing goes way too fast! How do I slow it to a more or less normal speed?

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:29 pm

You don't use no$gba on GBA roms, sir

(use VisualBoy Advance rofl)

no$gba is for NDS roms

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:46 pm

Hmm. Visual boy advance runs most GBA games perfectly.

Now, No$GBA has managed to provide decent DS emulation, and that's why we're so happy about it.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

FormicHiveQueen

Post by FormicHiveQueen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:49 am

Lol, it works almost perfectly (by that I mean it lacks a save feature) if you slow it down by 10x. Don't worry, I've had a VisualBoyAdvance for ages.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:46 pm

I cant get the rom to run on the NO$GBA, i downloaded the newest one, all i get is
data load error, turn the power off and reinsert the game card and try again
how do i get past this?

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 am

Set the NDS cartridge save type to either Flash 256K or Flash 512K...

Sword Laker

ROM of AWDS

Post by Sword Laker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:22 am

EDIT: No requesting roms on the form. Please read the FAQ topic in future.

RadioShadow

longboard_dude

Post by longboard_dude » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:39 pm

Every time I load a snapshot, the emulator says "The ROM image
has crashed" and it loks up!