RadioShadow's Balance Hack

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:25 am

ROM Required - Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Version - 1.0

To apply the patch to the rom, use UPS (Windows) or UPS (Mac)

To play the rom, use No$GBA or a Nintendo DS Flash Card.

If you are interested in making you own balance hack, check this topic out.

Changes:

:will:
Zone: 2
Boost: Ground Direct
Offence: +20%

:power:
Offence: +70%

:brenner:
Zone: 3
Boost: All
Defence: +20%

Other: Heal all units by 3HP

:lin:
Zone: 1
Boost: Ground

Movement: +1
Range: +1
Vison: +2

:isabella:

Offence: +90%

:tasha:
Boost: Direct Attack
Offence: +30%

Movement: +2

:gage:
Boost: Indirect

Range: +2

:forsythe:
Zone: 5
Offence: +10%
Defence: +10%

:waylon:
Boost: Ground and Air

Boost: Ground and Air
Defence: +90%

:greyfield:
Boost: Ground and Sea

Boost: Ground and Sea
Other: Refill all units fuel, ammo and materials

:penny:
Other: All units don't get affected by the weather

Other: Changes the weather three times

:tabitha:
Zone: 0
Offence: +40%

Other: Laser does damage in a certain area, deals 8HP to units

:caulder:
Other: Heals units by 2HP

Delta_Angelfire

Re: RadioShadow's Balance Hack

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Penny still seems way underpowered. You boosted(?) some others but penny didn't get any significant change (or not a hackable one). Tasha gets a wtf? Max?

Will and Isabella's powers get the best of Tabi's original power while tabi herself is forever doomed to only be useful in a rocket (and an unhackable power nerf?). Caulder too is weaker/comparable to original Will.

Waylon seems good, but I don't think greyfield's power is strong enough to warrant not boosting.

Lin's power got a huge boost, but even Gage went up a zone size with no significant drawback? Would be brokenz If it weren't for the RARG SMASH cos.

My evaluation -
Gage/Isa/Will > Brenner/Lin/Tasha/Waylon >>> Forsythe > Greyfield > Caulder/Tabi/Penny

JustTeaThankYou

Post by JustTeaThankYou » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:35 pm

I just downloaded this mod studio from https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/596/ and its awesome! Thank you. Updated as recently as May of 2017. Woot! I wanted to post a review there, but when I try to register it tells me I get the verification questions wrong... when I don't... Anyway. Here is my Rebalance:

My stat increases will include the basic +10% attk +10% def all COs have. I prefer to see them represented in totals rather than separated. So for example Will has a +20% Offense. But because the genetic +10%/+10% bonus all COs have its actually +30% Offense +10% Defense, which is how I intend to list them.

Changes:

Offense: +35%
Defense: +10%

Offence: +60%
+2 Move

Will is pretty solid. Only added a tiny attack boost to his Zone and a bigger one to his Power. Now his CO Power is actually worth sacrificing his enlarged zone to use.

Offense: +10%
Defense: +40%

Defense sucks in this game. I experimentally had infantry attack another infantry to test it. While standing in Woods the defending infantry took 6 damage every time despite the 30% terrain defense bonus. Adding Brenner's default 30% bonus on top of the terrain caused them to take 5 damage. So doubling their defense from +30% to +60% made a difference of 1 whole damage... That sucks. When I added modded Brenner's aura of +40% the infantry in the woods took 3 damage from the attacking infantry instead. That felt better.

Defense: +60%
Other: Heal all units by 3HP

Even MOAR defense. Its not like it makes getting your CO power easier the way attack does so I wasn't ashamed to give him this kind of global benefit when he uses his power on top of the healing.

Defence: +30%

Defence: +40%

A small boost to her Power of an extra 10% attack and defense over her norm. Helps compensate for small zone and situational ability.

Offense: +20%

Offense: +30%
+2 Movement
+2 Range

Left the Zone as is. Added only 10% extra attack beyond what this normally does.

Boost: Air Units
Offense: +50%
Defense: +30%

Offense: +%70
Defense: +50%
Movement: +4

For something as squishy and easily countered as air, this boost felt good. The +4 movement is remarkably gratifying and the increase in size of her CO zone was much needed. Also bias lol.

Boost: Indirect & Navy

Offense: +60%

Increased Zone attack bonus by 5% greater than normal. I miss Grit sometimes, so I gave his CO Power a big attack boost.

Defense: +20%
Heal All units by 1

The 1 healing added makes him feel more unique despite lacking a CO power. Also represents that his troops are grizzled veterans and fully dedicated to their honorable leader.

Boost: Air
Defense: +40%

Defense: +300%

Left as is. Having a CO power that makes your air units nigh invincible for 1 round is pretty spiffy.

Boost: Navy and Copters

Defense: +70%

Lets face it. Navy units just aren't everyone's favorite and the default Greyfield sucked. Badly. This version gives you a big enough boost to incentivize the use of his sea units and copters. Remember, navy units are the most expensive in the game, which is the reason I made his bonuses so big.

Other: Changes the weather three times
+1 Move

Left her zone as is. The CO Power bump in power only lasts 1 day out of the 3 days of weather. 1 Extra move and extra 10% attk + defense.

Defence: +60%
Other: Bomb does damage in a certain area, AI controlled, favors total HP damage. deals 8HP to units

Left as is :heart:

Other: Heals units by 3HP

Nerfed. Still potent as hell. Left him that way because he's a reward unlockable who is supposed to kick butt.

JustTeaThankYou2

Post by JustTeaThankYou2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:47 pm

*generic +10%/+10% bonus, typo.... not genetic :oops:

JustTeaThankYou

Post by JustTeaThankYou » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:08 pm

After some play-testing, I settled on some new modifications. There does not appear to be a way to edit old posts on this forum, so I'll just have to repost the details instead of editing my intial reply:

My stat increases will include the basic +10% attk +10% def all COs have. I prefer to see them represented in totals rather than separated. So for example Will has a +20% Offense. But because the generic +10%/+10% bonus all COs have its actually +30% Offense +10% Defense, which is how I intend to list them.

Changes:

+2 Move

Will is pretty solid. Only added a tiny attack boost to his basic Zone bonus and a much bigger one to his Power. Now his CO Power is actually worth sacrificing his enlarged zone to use.

Defense: +35%
Other: +1 Movement

Defense sucks in this game. I experimentally had infantry attack another infantry to test it. While standing in Woods the defending infantry took 6 damage every time with a 30% terrain defense bonus. Adding Brenner's default 30% bonus on top of the terrain bonus caused them to take 5 damage. So doubling their defense from +30% to +60% made a difference of 1 whole damage... That sucks. When I added modded Brenner's aura of +40% the infantry in the woods took 3 damage instead. That felt better.

His new +1 movement to all units in his zone can do some incredible things. It also fits with his story of defending and rescuing. Always on the move. I dropped his modded defense bonus by 5% to compensate for his new movement bonus.

Other: Heal all units by 3HP.

Even MOAR defense. Its not like it makes getting your CO power easier the way attack does so I wasn't ashamed to give him this kind of global benefit when he uses his power.

Defence: +30%

Defence: +40%

A small boost to her Power of an extra 10% attack and defense over her norm. Helps compensate for small zone and situational vision buff.

+2 Movement
+2 Range

Left the Zone as is. Added only 10% extra attack beyond what her power normally does.

Offense: +70%
Movement: +4

For something as squishy and easily countered as air, this boost felt better. The +4 movement is remarkably gratifying and the increase in size of her CO zone was much needed. Also bias lol.

Boost: Indirect & Navy
Other: +1 range

Indirect units already have considerable firepower. Gage doesn't need more damage, he needs range! Now any indirect unit within his zone gets +1 range. Quite powerful, but it differentiates him as a CO. The original version of Gage felt bland on the battle field. I am considering reducing the zone attack bonus to 10%.

Heal All units by 1

The 1 healing added makes him feel more unique despite lacking a CO power. Also represents that his troops are grizzled veterans and fully dedicated to their honorable leader. As such they are harder to kill. The 20/20 big zone is cool but it wasn't much different from Isabella until I added the minor healing.

Other: +1 Movement

Defense: +300%

I made him the opposite of Tasha, more centered on defense and movement (because he's a f**king egocentric coward). I can't decided whether to increase his Zone size by 1 or give him +1 movement. For now I have it at +1 movement.

Defense: +70%

Lets face it. Navy units just aren't everyone's favorite and the default Greyfield sucked. Badly. This version gives you a big enough boost to incentivize the use of his sea units and copters. Remember, navy units are the most expensive in the game, which is the reason I made his bonuses so big. Story-wise this represents his amassed wealth. He can afford the best armor and payloads for his navy units to crush the hated Lazurians across the sea.

Other: Changes the weather for 3 rounds.
+1 Move

Added 10% more attack power to her zone so she can get her power a little more rapidly. The CO Power bump in power only lasts 1 day out of the 3 days of weather. 1 Extra move and extra 10% attk + defense didn't seem like too much to ask. It makes sense that her troops would be emboldened by their invulnerability to weather effects while the enemy is scattered, slowed, and blinded.

Defence: +60%
Other: Bomb does damage in a certain area, AI controlled, favors total HP damage. deals 8HP to units

Left as is :heart:

Other: Heals units by 3HP

Tiny nerf. Still potent as hell. Mostly left him that way because he's a reward unlockable who is supposed to kick butt. And since nobody plays online anymore, I fight against him when I want more challenge.