War Room Challenge 2012 - 1.3 Opinions about Colours

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

Mark999

Re: War Room Challenge 2012 - 1.1 Release

Post by Mark999 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Awesome! If you're releasing it soon I can show it off in the second half of my LP.

PLEASE LOWER THE DIFFICULTY OF OLD WOUNDS

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed May 13, 2015 5:47 pm

I'll try to get it done in the next week-ish.

The hard work is done, all that's left is the fiddly work.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat May 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Almost there in terms of the hack.

Edit: Image
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat May 16, 2015 5:33 pm

war room 2.0 nearly complete
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: War Room Challenge 2012 - 1.2 Test Release

Post by Xenesis » Sat May 16, 2015 7:06 pm

Version 1.2a - Has the new code, but none of the map tiling fixes. Link

Tell me if anything breaks.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:04 am

The link is certainly broken does that count

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 17, 2015 8:29 am

Whoops, forgot a subfolder path.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 am

Awesome!

Also I mistakenly patched this to vanilla AW2 but the score display still worked perfectly so...that's also awesome!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 17, 2015 9:58 am

That's what you're supposed to patch it to, so that's fine :p

Also working on some more menu enhancements here too.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: War Room Challenge 2012 - 1.2 Release NEW FEATURE ALART

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 17, 2015 4:28 pm

I have posted a new update.

Get it:
Version 1.2: Download Link

History:
-Added a new GUI Option: Time Countdown. Counts the days left for an S-Rank, turn it on in options.
-Added a new GUI Option: Current Score Display. Shows your current score in each category. Turn it on in options.
-Edited the GUI: Instead of a 5th Rank, displays what fraction of COs have S-Ranked that map (x / 18)
-Tiling Error Fixes in these Maps:
Barracuda Bay
Battle Bridge
Beach Head
Bombardier
Crescent Isle
Feeling Blue
Island Nation
Legion Peninsula
Marshlands
Split Mountain
Comet Catcher
Whirlpool
Mial's Cape

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Mon May 18, 2015 5:08 am

Need to replay this now.
I was starting to learn assembly to make a WRH and I'd finally made a CO Daily Power that made made units 5% more expensive per unit built of that type. Then my laptop broke (again) and then I got a new PC :/
Now I've forgotten everything :P
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:12 am

That's a pretty cool feature. (Aren't there 19 COs though? Not 18?)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon May 18, 2015 8:26 am

Ah shoot. That's what happens when you code while sick. It's an easy fix, though. Just need to increase one number. >_<

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon May 18, 2015 10:37 am

Alright, I fixed the compile. Redownload 1.2 to fix the issue. <_< >_>

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: War Room Challenge 2012 - 1.3 Opinions about Colours

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:49 pm

I have posted a new update.

Get it:
Current Release Version (1.3): Download Link

History:
-Fixed a palette index error for the Current Score Display Function
-Tiling Error Fixes in these maps:
Feeling Blue

pakopako

Post by pakopako » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks Xenesis! Both the Clean and Mode7 patches work and bring up the same status screens. (The readme still lacks mention of Kindle for some reason.)

-=PakoPako=-

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:22 pm

And Mark999 has done a complete 300-S Rank Let's Play of the hack.

I personally enjoyed it. :D

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:41 am

Xenesis wrote:And Mark999 has done a complete 300-S Rank Let's Play of the hack.

I personally enjoyed it. :D
Just got through the first two vids. The tension on Bank Robbery is enormous.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:58 pm

SNUPER SIPE

berserkerbladerX

Post by berserkerbladerX » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:54 am

Forgive me for the necro, but I've been curious ever since I found out about this hack a few weeks ago: What are the exact numbers on Caulder's CO stats? I'm curious how someone like him would translate to the GBA era, and how you went about doing so with him.

Also. Great call on Nergal's battle theme. I have to imagine it was a call made to save headaches because DoR's soundtrack is not so easily midi-able as Dual Strike's is, but hey, great call. It worked out.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:15 am

berserkerbladerX wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:54 am
Forgive me for the necro, but I've been curious ever since I found out about this hack a few weeks ago: What are the exact numbers on Caulder's CO stats? I'm curious how someone like him would translate to the GBA era, and how you went about doing so with him.
I had to actually look this up!

Caulder has 130/130 CO-Zone units and the CO Unit has 150/150 stats - incredibly powerful by GBA era standards (equivalent to a Kanbei D2D and a COP, basically). I went with those values because it makes his units incredibly tough, but based on how the mechanics are different between the two games his units take a fairly similar amount of damage (AW4 divides, so the +60 from the COZ equates to taking ~63% of incoming damage. AW2 system results in those units taking 70% damage with the values I set).

I figured a slightly lower base value would be fine because it'd stack really well with terrain defence. And overall the firepower is a lot lower, but hey. Can't have everything :P

berserkerbladerX

Post by berserkerbladerX » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm

That's actually quite interesting, being the only CO with the DoR CO Unit mechanics...

It's an interesting price to pay, in a world where so many characters get a constant D2D boost for all of their units, ideally you would want a large boost to compensate for the lack of area control. Heck, if you wanna make things really interesting, you could penalize units that AREN'T in the zone to maximize the flavor big time. Like, Iunno, 85/85, if you really need an example. The CO unit and the ones in the zone will absolutely dominate and wreck faces, allowing you control and dominance over wherever your CO Zone is, but anything that isn't takes a huge penalty and will usually lose that part of the map for you... it's an interesting trade off, if you were to look at this from a serious balancing approach. Not necessarily a GOOD one because of how much of the map you'd be surrendering to losing battles, but... Iunno. It'd be interesting to see if we ever went back to how AW1/2/Dual Strike did things. Then again, it's a big map dependent thing- this design is obviously favored on small maps where the zone penalty may actually even be trivial, but is punished much more harshly on larger maps where you have multiple battles waging war all over the place.

Granted, given that it's Caulder, and one of the hack's biggest draws and selling points (in my opinion, anyway) is the ultimate final battle challenge, where you face against all three of the series's main antagonists in a land, air and sea battle, the ultimate challenge of all of your Advance Wars knowledge, obviously we have to turn the knobs up to 11 here and throw balance out the window, so forget that whole CO Zone penalty here, Caulder can just slowly take any portion of the map as he damn well pleases, one zone at a time, and be content to be perfectly average elsewhere. With the numbers you gave, Caulder pretty obviously cleanly mops the floor with most of the COs in the base game (Although I'm pretty sure Sturm actually beats him, most of the time in most cases, depends on how big the map is), the big question is how he stands up against the elite, broken or borderline so COs of the game, Colin, Kanbei, Hachi, and probably Sensei. On paper, I can actually see Colin bullying Caulder out with superior numbers happening, Kanbei, I'm not that sure about... 20% cost penalty or normal price for the zone? Pick your poison on that one. I see Hachi building enough Neotanks to win most of the time, and Sensei... well, don't underestimate Mech flood. Kekekeke. I don't know any of that for sure, it's just guesswork, but it's interesting to think about how he'd fare in a competitive scene, it's not like AW2 is the epitome of good game balance.

..But that's neither here nor there, I'm just thinking out loud, sorry. ^^