Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 am

NartsToday at 3:17 PM
yeah let's just move on, we still have the 4th entrance to scout
Onto step 4!

Step 4: The Second Thicket
This southern thicket isn't quite as muddy as the other one, and while the trees of the other thicket were mostly gnarled creating a wooden prison, this one actually has a strong canopy of leaves above it. Again, beams of sunlight stream into the grove.

As the group enters the thicket and starts exploring, they encounter one major difference from the other thicket right away: in a small clearing in the center of the thicket, surrounded by a bed of fallen leaves, is a wooden chest, sitting partially buried in the ground!

This would probably be seen by the first two rows of the formation more or less simultaneously. But everyone else would probably be able to see it shortly after, Hanzo and Rowan just happen to be the ones who would see it first. The chest is probably 1/4 buried in the ground, one of the back corners is sunk.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:05 am

Hanzo feels there is something suspicious about a chest just lying around.

"Why would they just leave it here like this... Before we open it, it is best that I inspect it for traps."

But before he touches the chest, he turns to the bear.

"Murgen, I believe your kind would have a more acute sense of smell than any of us. Do you sense anything suspicious about this container - such as the fumes of a poisonous substance?"

If Murgen detects nothing, Hanzo will attempt to Find a Trap on the chest. If still nothing, he will let Hector inspect it.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:31 am

Murgen does not smell anything, though both Murgen and Hector do seem on edge. Kugel, on the other hand, is practically drooling.

---

So Hanzo, please tell me exactly what you are doing to find the trap. What are you examining? How close are you getting? Are you poking anything (presumably not with your fingers, but if you want to you can)?

You don't need to get *too* detailed, but I do want to know how you're carrying this out, because it does matter.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:57 am

So let's get detailed!

First Hanzo gets to about 5 feets distance from the chest and walks around it in a circle. He looks at the ground around the chest and the air above the ground and tries to detect any wires leading out of the chest, or additional objects in the vicinity of the chest. He remembers he's surrounded by trees so he looks above his head, as well. Before he gets closer, he swings the 10-foot pole in the air around the chest from multiple angles (again without touching the chest itself) to make sure there are no tripwires he missed.

He repeats the above, but at 3 feet's distance.

Then he gets right next to the chest and inspects every inch of the visible surface with his eyes, as close as he can get, without touching.

He will note anything that looks out of the ordinary, but he especially looks for:

-anything that glints or shimmers or is otherwise visible in the seams between planks of wood, or between the box and the lid, or between the wood and any metal parts
-any weird looking holes
-anything that looks like a button or a switch or a lever or a spring or an unnecessary mechanic connected on any handles or locks that might be attached to the chest
-stains of any odd-looking substances on the handles, and the edges of the lid

He also instructs Hector to not touch the chest, only look. After Hector is done, and no obvious traps are found, Hanzo will stand at a ten foot's distance from the chest, behind it (not in the direction it opens toward), instructing everyone else to stand further away behind him, and taps and pokes it several times with the 10-foot pole at various points.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:49 am

Okay, so.

Hanzo did a lot of things right. However, he showed no particular interest in the bed of leaves surrounding the treasure chest specifically, and moved 5 feet in front of the chest before starting his investigation- the pit was a 5ft circle around the chest. (He also failed the Find Traps roll, unfortunately.)

As Hanzo moves forward,the ground below him gives way in an explosion of leaves. I'd like you to make a Save Against Paralyzation to avoid falling in- you get this because you're literally right on the edge of the trap and you did say you would be looking at the ground after moving, I think it's fair to give you a saving throw. If you fail to make the save, you'll take 4 points of damage (and fall unconscious).

As a reminder- to make a saving throw, you roll a d20 and try to greater than or equal to your number. So, Hanzo needs a 13 or higher to pass.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 am

(Narts rolled a 9)

Everyone sees Hanzo start to walk towards the chest, and everyone sees him fall, leaves going everywhere. The pit is surprisingly deep- 10ft deep, in fact, and Hanzo hits his head on the way down, falling unconscious on the pit floor. Add one injury to your character sheet.

For what it's worth, the treasure chest remains on ground level, sitting on a 3 ft pillar in the center of the pit.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

Rowan winces as Hanzo falls, and moves near the edge of the exposed pit. "Goes to show nothing's just there for the taking."

After brushing around the edge nearest him with his weapon (as a cursory check against any spikes, wires or the like around the edge), he intends to examine the pit and assess how feasible it would be to climb down and pull Hanzo out.

Specifically:

Are there any spikes, edges, or rough rocks, etc - either lining the sides of the pit or at the bottom?
Are the sides too sheer to clamber back out of, assuming a safe descent is made?
How straightforward would it be to make a controlled descent to the bottom of the pit - either by clinging to the sides and lowering one's self, or by being lowered by allies?

If no obvious obstacles present themselves, Rowan will descend to the bottom of the pit, do his best to assess Hanzo's condition, and (if it it doesn't appear to be immediately life-threatening), raise him up so that the rest of the party can haul Hanzo back to ground level. If Hanzo appears especially hurt, Rowan will use one of the potions of healing on him - otherwise, he will simply put him back up and leave the rest to the judgement of Sakura and Valerie.

If it would not be feasible to execute any of this - due to the pit being too deep to practically hand Hanzo over to people sitting at the top, or due to it being too hazardously constructed, Rowan will not descend and will consult with the rest of the party on a course of action.

Rowan does not intend to make any attempt at grabbing the chest until Hanzo is safely out of the pit.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:03 pm

This is a rough dirt pit, not particularly well made, so the sides are rough enough that it would be easy enough to climb down and up it without danger of falling. There don't appear to be any other dangers aside from the pit itself.

Rowan is able to climb down into the pit. Hanzo has a nasty gash in his forehead, but there does not seem to be an excess of blood that would suggest he's bleeding out. I'll let you decide whether a healing potion is necessary or not.

Kugel seems to be shocked, but is eyeing the chest. Hector and Murgen make themselves available to help whereever, and Picker is clearly scanning the trees for a potential ambush.

Okay, so I'm unlikely to be able to post tomorrow- Payroll Monday, going to be busy. Rowan is currently in the hole, Hanzo is unconcious, feel free to react to this situation as you will. Nothing will attack you if you get him out of the hole, so feel free to play that whole bit out without a need for DM approval!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Rowan decides that it's better to keep the potions in reserve unless the clerics are unable (or unwilling) to heal Hanzo - so for now he simply asks for help in getting Hanzo out of the pit.

Once Hanzo is safely up and away, Rowan intends to make an attempt at getting at the chest - though he suspects that it was solely placed as bait for the trap and does not contain anything of value. If it looks trivial to climb the pillar supporting the chest (or to jump to it from the edge of the pit) then he will attempt to do so - since he's hedging against the contents being fragile. Otherwise, if those feats look like they'd be too risky, he'll be content to poke at the chest with Hanzo's pole to try and knock it down into the pit - if he does so, he will make sure to do so after having climbed out of the pit, in case the chest ends up containing something volatile or poisonous.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Valerie and Murgen grab Hanzo from Rowan and place him in some shade.

"That was so obviously a trap! Somebody has never read The Chronicles of Clan Raw'kett!! All right Hanzo, c'mon, wake up. That wasn't that big a fall! And you landed in dirt! You're just embarrassed, right?" She nudges him in the thigh with her foot.

"All right, fine, fine." She reaches into Hanzo's backpack, takes out his waterskin, and splashes water in his face.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Sakura gasped as she saw Hanzo fall into the trap.

In a panic, she keeps switching between looking at Hanzo to see if he's badly wounded, and looking for signs of life in case anyone showed up to ambush them.

When Hanzo is brought back up, she goes look at his wounds up-close, repressing her horror at the sight of blood. She twitches briefly at Valerie's reaction, but refrains from more outspoken reactions, instead clutching Hanzo's hand and hoping that he wakes up soon.

After one minute of silent prayer, she can't take the waiting anymore and uses her Cure spell.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:24 am

Acame, meanwhile, shushes Valerie, whispering to her that they might've been heard and could potentially be ambushed. He joins Picker in her scan for a potential ambush and listens intently if he hears anything.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 am

Rowan, Valerie, and Murgan successfully get Hanzo out of the pit. Sakura is able to cure him for a massive 7 points of damage- sadly there is no such thing as overhealing (though thankfully this does not make him explode either).

Hanzo wakes up to a killer headache. You have a Minor Concussion from your head injury. This manifests in difficulty with checks involving perception, particularly hearing noises and finding traps (reduce to 1 in 6 and 10% respectively). If you were an arcane spellcaster, this would result in difficulty casting your spells, but you're not, so you don't have to worry about that. Finally, you may have trouble with anything that requires intense concentration- I'm not sure what those activities might be off the top of my head, but if it comes up it'll probably be obvious. To get rid of this condition you'll need 3 days of bed rest.

It does not affect your combat stats, however.

Acame does not hear anything. However, while standing watch you catch a glimpse of something further into the grove, behind some trees. There appears to be a dark space, mostly hidden by the trees. You also detect that the trees further into the grove seem to have a large number of broken branches and bent trunks, compared to the trees nearer to the entrance. (The broken branches are not necessarily lying on the ground- many are still attached to the tree, and many of them are fairly high up on the tree.)
Last edited by Pkdragon on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:29 am

Valerie grabs Hanzo's chin and peers into his eyes, tilting his head a few times. "Hmm... seems like you have a bit of a concussion. Your perception is going to be a bit off, and you're going to have trouble concentrating. Nothing too serious though, three days of bedrest ought to do the trick. I know this because of my medical knowledge, not because a higher authority told me."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:25 am

Hanzo coughs violently, then calms down. He seems fine, but shaken. Sakura's exceptionally performed spell worked wonders!

He looks at Valerie and squints. "Ah. It is good that we have a cleric who understands the practicalities of healing." He appears to think Valerie cured him. "I respect the gods, but I would not trust my lot in their hands."
Last edited by Narts on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:36 am

Acame shares what he has just seen with the rest of the party as he's helping Hanzo get back up on his feet.
"Can you still go on?" he asks the injured thief. "We still need you as a scout. If you're injured, it's probably wise if you stay with the group from here on out."

Acame is keen on getting the group back into formation and check out the dark spot further into the grove. He says as much to the group as a whole.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 am

Hanzo ignores Acame. His eyes shift around, until they fix on to something in the distance. They widen.

He has noticed Rowan messing around with the ten-foot pole, as if he is attempting to tip over the chest (or something)

He extends his hand, palm opened, towards Rowan and gasps.

"No...! Do not touch it! You fool!"

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:54 am

(Missed Terr's exploits with chests, opps.)

Rowan, you are able to climb up to the chest without much issue. The chest does not appear to have a lock, it appears that it will open quite easily. You hear Hanzo croak something from behind you, but no matter- the question of the hour is: Do you open it?

(Jokes aside, you may hear Hanzo if you wish, Terr)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:02 am

"Don't move too much, please...", Sakura says as she tries to keep Hanzo in check. "Stay calm."

Only then does she realize it's a warning, and then she feels beads of sweat running down her temples, as though this were... "A... bomb...?" She can only look in apprehension as Rowan approaches the chest, and despite trying to muster some courage, she can't scream at him on the spot.

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:43 am

Rowan turns his head at the noise from Hanzo's and stops his examination of the chest - between Hanzo and Sakura's expression, he gathers that they both expect further mischief from the chest.

"Why put a trap inside a trap? Ahh, it's probably empty anyway."

With an exasperated wave of his hands, he leaves the chest where it is and retreats from the pit to join the rest of the party. He gives Hanzo a once-over and shakes his head.

"You're rather clumsy for a thief. Stick to giving us warnings from now on."

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am

Hanzo grunts in anger. "I will not be judged by you."

He gets up to his feet, slowly and probingly. As none of his bones appear broken, he indicates he's ready to move.

"We must hasten. Whoever set the trap could be coming to check it for prey any moment. And I have a feeling they were not hunting boars."

"It is not safe to stay here, so I suggest we forego scouting the fourth cave entrance and move directly to the lookout point."

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Valerie pats Hanzo on the back. "Ha ha, good man! Up and at it. To the lookout point! We can leave the treasure chest full of boars for later."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm

"I think I will stay here, and give the thicket another go around before meeting you at the lookout point," Kugel says, trying his hardest not to eye the chest and failing.

From the back of the thicket, where the dark spot Acame noted was located, some footsteps can be heard and some tone deaf humming in a deep pitch can be heard. There's a bit of an echo to these noises.

"...Ah, you know, on second thought, I agree with Hanzo's suggestion entirely," Kugel says.

Assuming there are no last minute changes based on this new information, I will continue onward tomorrow morning to the lookout point.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:53 am

At the sound of someone approaching the clearing, Acame puts his foot down on Kugel's to shut him up. Kugel winces and is about to complain, but then sees Acame drawing his longbow, making him hold his breath instead. The elf then moves silently into a position for a clear shot at the approaching humming shadow.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 am

Hanzo sees what Acame is doing, and quickly understands what the elf is up to. Since they were planning to set up an ambush, might as well do it here. And Hanzo feels like teaching a lesson to whoever almost fatally tricked him.

He also readies his bow and seeks a position of cover, preferably behind foliage and in shadow. As if he was trying to Hide in Shadows.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:18 am

Okay. Hanzo and Acame are preparing to fight. Rowan, Valerie, and Sakura, I'd like to know what you do. You have like, a round to prepare, so keep it short and sweet.

Hanzo, you are able to find a spot of cover behind some foliage- I assume on the opposite side of the pit from the approaching shadow? You can definitely attempt to Hide in Shadows. Hector attempts the same strategy unless told otherwise, I should note.

Since it was asked- Murgen is waiting for orders but looks ready to fight. He has a big bear grin on his face, which looks adorable but also kind of full of teeth.

Reminder: You're in a clearing. There is a pit in the center of it, about 13 ft in diameter (5ft on either side, 3ft pillar in the center with the chest on it). For simplicity, there's about 10ft on any side of the pit of stable ground before the treeline causes significant issue. You are all on the side of the pit opposite the approaching being.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:49 am

Valerie puts on her helmet, braces behind her shield and readies her mace. "Murgen, come to my side. If anyone wants to start a fight, we'll hold them in place. That way Hanzo, Hector, Picker, and Acame can rain on their parade."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 am

Figuring the chances of an undetected escape are slim, Rowan forms up next to Valerie, on the other side from Murgen, and awaits the intruder head-on. He gives Sakura a quick piece of advice - "either put your shield up and join us, or stay behind us".

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 am

(I'm going to assume Sakura either joins you in formation, or stays behind the group)

Murgen gets into formation with Valerie. "I smell it now. Something... big."

A giant hand, easily three times as large as a human's, pulls back the trees with a crunch. You can now see that the trees were hiding a cave, a new one that you couldn't see earlier. The hand of course is followed by a large creature, a bulky, nearly hairless man-thing that steps into the clearing. The creature is wearing the hide of a bear as if it were armor, and carries a large spiked club. It has a maw full of sharp yellow teeth and a lumpy head.
Hidden Text
Image
It's not wearing the hide in the image, but otherwise this image is accurate.

"WHAT? MY PIT! SOMEONE FELL IN MY PIT!" the creature yells in broken common, in a deep voice. It takes a moment to look around, before it figures things out.

In that moment, the party has surprise, and gets a free round to take advantage of the creature's confusion. (This was the d6 I rolled in the discord chat)

Surprise Round

So, visual aid time! Exact positioning of who is where isn't really required given that it's going to be mostly symmetrical anyway, but this is basically what the battlefield looks like. Red X's are the people planning to melee (Valerie, Rowan, Murgen), Black X's are the people planning to make ranged attacks (Hanzo, Hector, Acame). Sakura is not pictured, sorry Airnike! Distances are close enough that pretty much anyone except the Thieves can meet the creature in melee- the same applies to the creature, of course. As such, pretty much all bows will get +1 to their attack for being in short range.

Image

What do you do, Valerie, Hanzo, Acame, Rowan, and Sakura? You have a free round to either attack or find some other course of action if you will.

Kugel starts things by jumping into the pit and making himself small.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 am

Valerie bangs her mace against her shield, and yells at the creature. "That's right, we messed up your pit something fierce! And we took all your treasure! Ha ha ha ha ha!!!"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:24 am

Hanzo's eyes widen, and he hesitates for a moment. He didn't expect something so... big. He has a sinking feeling in the back of his mind, that fleetingly surfaces through his killer headache. Somewhere, somehow, the great Hanzo miscalculated. Badly.

He shakes these feelings of doubt and steels himself.

He sees little point in trying to intimidate or bargain with the beast. He decides it is best to leverage the little advantage that surprise gives to the party.

He aims at the creature's neck and draws his bow, while shouting commands to the other archers.
"NOCK... MARK... DRAW... LOOSE!"


"LET THE DRAGON CONSUME YOU!"

He releases the arrow.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:49 am

(So at this point, I guess I should explain attack rolls.

Roll a d20. Add your strenth or dex bonus to it. In Hanzo's case, add a whole bunch of bonuses because he's hidden and using a bow in short range.

Tell me the result. You can roll damage at this point too, which is weapon damage plus strength if you're using a melee weapon and have a strength modifier. I'll tell you if it hits or not, and describe how badly the enemy is injured.

That's it.)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Hanzo hits the ogre for 6 damage with an attack roll of 22!

The arrows slams into a vital point on the neck, and goes clear through, causing an awful lot of blood to go flying. The creature roars in a mix of agony and anger... but it's neck is very thick. Very thick. The wound looks significant, but the creature still looks fairly healthy. For a creature missing part of it's neck.

Everyone swears they saw the image of a dragon around the arrow.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Rowan, inspired by Hanzo's shot, decides that the ogre is eminently killable.

"On me! Let's bring it down!"

Brandishing his axe, he charges forward and strikes!

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:24 pm

"You got it, tough stuff! Murgen, skewer that guy!"

Murgen nods, runs in and uselessly pokes the creature.

"My turn!" Valerie runs in and smacks the ogre with her mace, accomplishing nothing.

"Uh... darn."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Rowan hits the ogre for 5 damage with an attack roll of 20

Valerie misses with an attack roll of 13.
Murgen misses.
Picker misses.

Rowan runs in and slashes at the creature with the axe. He catches on some flab not protected by the bear hide, and cuts it open. The creature's roar of pain gets louder. The injuries on the creature appear to be getting significant.

Valerie and Murgen follow, but Murgen's spear goes wide and Valerie's mace bounces harmlessly off the bear hide.

Picker also fires a shot, but it goes wide.


A lot happened here tonight. Unfortuntately, I know HPD has a hard time posting on Thursdays, so we will be leaving on a CLIFFHANGER until you get enough time to respond, HPD. Also, Sakura may make her move as well.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Sakura was sitting back the time to get her battle equipment ready.

Seeing some strikes connect, she tries to follow up on them to (hopefully) knock the ogre's head right off with a wild swing of her own mace. "This is for what you did to Hanzo, foul creature!", she says as she swings.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:31 am

Crack!

Sakura attempts to hit the head, but the creature is huge. Her wild swing does, however, slam into the creature's back with a sickening crack.

Acame and Hector unleash their projectiles, but miss as well- the creature is moving around too much in pain. (HPD rolled these in the discord)

So that Narts may sleep:: actually, several of these arrows hit, but they either hit the bear hide, or get stuck in the overgrown hillbilly's thick crusty skin!

The creature is still alive, but it is stumbling. It truly looks like it will require just a bit more to put it out of it's misery.

Sakura hits the ogre for 6 damage with an attack roll of 15.
Acame misses.
Hector misses.

The surprise round is over! Onto round 1, and Initiative!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:17 am

Round 1, Ogre's turn

The Ogre hits with a critical blow, dealing 12 points of damage!

The Ogre flies into a killing rage, blind with pain. It reflexively swings out at the person who hit it hardest- unfortunately, this is Sakura, the mild mannered cleric from abroad.

It catches Sakura straight in the gut with a titanic blow. The cleric goes flying, and slams into a tree. On the opposite side of the fight. Near Hanzo, actually. She is unconscious, and looks really badly injured. Add 2 injuries to your sheet, specifics will be given later.

Round 2, Party's turn

Again, the creature is stumbling and clearly in great pain - but clearly still capable of inflicting great damage.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:59 am

Hanzo recoils and deftly moves away from the path of the flying clergy. Although he experiences the faintest semblance of worry for the condition of the young girl, he is trained to ignore distractions in battle. She is probably a goner, anyway.

He dives into another bush, attempting to hide there.

Seeing that the creature is clearly not impervious to bodily harm, he continues to attack. With practised motions, he nocks another arrow and sends it flying in the ogre's direction.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Multivac [Bot] and 0 guests