Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Airnike

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:27 pm

(since Sakura doesn't know where the gatehouse is, she's well and truly lost — it's like the only thing that could help is hearing Valerie's voice and recognizing it, not sure how to roll for hearing)
pkdragon wrote:@Airnike , roll a 1d6. On a 1 you hear Valerie, otherwise... we'll go from there
Jugger wrote:@Airnike, You rolled 1!
By chance, Sakura hears and recognizes Valerie's singing voice. Knowing so, she struts to meet her and relay the message on time. Instead of shouting or speaking at all the get Valerie's attention, she simply taps her on the shoulder.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:35 am

@Sakura:
You managed to get completely lost, finding yourself in the shadow of an impressive two story building. Unlike the rest of the buildings, made primarily of stone, this one is notable for being made primarily of wood, and has a nicer aesthetic than the rest of the buildings. You had lost all sense of direction, but thankfully were able to hear Valerie's voice, and the rest is history.

@Valerie & Sakura:
Sakura catches up to Valerie as she crosses over into the fountain plaza, which is, as the name might suggest, notable for the large water fountain in the center of the square. To the north, there are two buildings, clearly marked with signs: The Copper Arrow Tavern, and The Cat and Hydra Inn. At the fountain a middle aged man wearing white robes and glasses sits, writing in a journal. He looks up at you as you enter, surprised, for a moment, then smiling.

"Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe I've seen your faces in this town before? I don't suppose you are newcomers? It is rare that we receive two clerics in this town on one day," he says. (,using somewhat unnatural conversation in order to convey as much information in a single post :P)

"My name is Alba, a traveling cleric of St. Cuthbert. May I ask your names?"

(Will give updates on Hanzo and Rowan's efforts when I get a chance to continue.)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:12 am

Valerie spins around at the shoulder tap. "Ah! Sakura. Wonderful, I was planning on going to the inn anyway. I'm aiming to make lots of new friends, so to speak. Hm, speaking of... " She turns to Alba, raising an eyebrow at the mention of St. Cuthbert. "Me? I'm Valerie, " she says, then runs her fingers through her hair, flicking it so it flows in the air for a moment, shining brightly. "Devotee of Surya, naturally."

She then puts an arm behind Sakura and nudges her forward. "Come come, don't be shy now."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:41 am

@ Hanzo:
You avoid Kugel with ease, leaving before he exits the shop.

True to your expectations, most people in the keep are not rich. They are not incredibly poor, but very few that you could describe even as upper-middle class. That said, you encounter two buildings that appear to be homes for well-to-do citizens- you are lucky enough to notice one of these citizens, wearing fancy clothing and even some jewelry, enter one of the buildings. These buildings are in the northern section of the town- near the church, and a large two story building that you believe has some connection with a guild of some sort.

(Same building Sakura was nearby)

There do not seem to be any signs of a criminal element in this town. Really, Kugel was the shiftiest person you've encountered.

- - -

@Rowan:
You're able to find some off duty guards with relative ease, though it does take SOME time to look. In short, you get the impression that this side of the Shrill is not as dangerous as it could be.

"The road itself is fairly safe. We patrol it constantly, that's our main duty. You go off the road, anything can happen, though not as bad as it was twenty years ago. If you cross the river, that's another story. We focus our efforts on keeping this side of the river safe. "

Your source thinks for a moment. "That said, the past few weeks we've had reports of a spike in bandit activity, attacking travelers on the road. We haven't found anything yet, but if you find out anything, or encounter anyone suspicious, let us know."

"The keep itself, well, it's been attacked before, but not seriously. Our defenses work, the creatures figure that out soon enough. There hasn't been a full scale siege in decades, since the time of the last Castellan... With any luck, it'll stay that way."

"It'd be a lot more dangerous if everything in the caves were always on the warpath, but thankfully we only see raids once every fortnight or so. You see, different tribes of various creatures live in those cave, and they aren't all unified. As long as they squabble in their holes, they aren't nearly the threat they could be. Our biggest fear is that they get a proper leader."

You get the feeling that the men of the Keep are competent, and well equipped, but relatively small in number.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:09 am

Hanzo is satisfied to mentally note down everything he has seen. Remembering his party and their current quest, he heads towards the inn.

Once he gets to the inn, he will search for a person fitting the description of the old-timer and ask him about the ruins on the hill - and especially about any dangers that might be surrounding the place.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Terragent wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:34 pm
Unless Acame has a specific request or instruction for him, [...]
Acame nods Rowan off. "Go ahead, you can find me in the tavern if you need me." Thinking it a good idea to chat up some locals, Acame wants to head off to the tavern, hoping the locals in these places have at least seen Elves before. But he's confident that even if they'd be wary for elves, a few coppers and smooth talking can loosen a few tongues.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 am

So fun fact- Acame arrives first at the inn, by a pretty large margin (which makes things a tad awkward because I know HPD has a birthday party he's going to today, but we'll play it by ear). I'm going to say that Hanzo, Sakura, and Valerie arrive more or less at the same time, and Rowan takes the longest- because I have not forgotten his second request. (Ok, I had, for a bit, which is why I didn't post this last night).

@Rowan:
You window shop like a boss. The combined time of your two tasks does take you much of the hour, but you cover the highlights.

The two general stores in the main square seem to be the difference between a Provisioner who sells basic adventuring material (all the miscillaneous general gear you might find in the equipment section), and a Trader who sells weapons, armor, and trade goods- salt, spices, cloth, etc. He also has a limited quantity of more unique gear on a shelf- mostly potions, it seems.

Detecting you window shopping, the trader indicates to you, after a short conversation, that while he will buy most things adventurers bring back, he is particularly interested in furs.

The Smith seems to deal in repairing items, making gear like horseshoes, and making weapons and armor. He has some weapons and armor for sale, though not as many as the trader.

The sign on the door of the bank "Tustvold's Lending" has a note that the place is under the protection of the Keep. I'm not sure if you would have interest in going in there, so I will keep it at that.

To the north is the Guildhouse, which, after asking around, you find out that it is not just one guild's house, but rather a loose collection of various crafting and merchant guilds maintain a single house in the town, offering rooms to any traveling craftsmen that pass through. If you needed to hire a craftsman, this would be where to check

---

So at this point, I feel like the party has explored the town enough that I can give you a more official map. Well, one someone else made.

The gates to the inner keep are on the northern section of the image. I've blacked out a few names that are still a mystery- one of the houses in the middle was the house of the rich man Hanzo found. Nothing else should be too terribly surprising. I'll put this map in the first post, too.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:28 am

@Hanzo (and @Acame): Upon entering, the innkeeper welcomes you and informs you that rooms cost 1gp a night, but sleeping in the common room costs only 1 sp a night.

In the common room, there are a handful of people. A pair of obvious adventurers, a man and woman, sit at a table counting up gold. A large bear sits on the floor, polearm in hands- er, claws, eyes closed as if he was sleeping. Finally, an old man sits at another table, staring into space.

If you'd like to role play how you approach him, you may. Otherwise, I'm going to give Airnike some time to respond to the priest before moving forward.

Oh, and, uh, D&D economics 101: 10 SP are in 1 GP. There's a chart on page 14. I won't be using Electrum coins, but the other coins will come up.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:40 am

Hanzo approaches the old-timer and bows. "Greetings, sir, I am Hanzo, but a simple pilgrim on a tour to visit holy sites around the world. I heard you could tell me about the ruins of an ancient monastery to the southwest from here, across the river Shrill. I heard the journey there is full of danger, but I will not be deterred. I just seek advice on what kind of hardships and dangers I might face around this holy place, so that I might prepare."

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:49 am

"Hmm?" the old man looks up.

"Ah, the hill. I believe I knew some things that might have been of use to a traveler, but the mind grows foggy with age. Perhaps with a nice glass of ale, or a beer, maybe that would clear my mind up," the old man says, winking at Hanzo.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:53 am

Hanzo buys an ale for the man, and a sake for himself if they serve it, otherwise a beer will do, even though he considers it a drink for a less sophisticated taste.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:35 am

@Hanzo
There is no sake. At either the inn or the tavern (which has a wider menu, but not that wide). Sorry, you'll have to settle for the crap they call alcohol in the west.

For reference: The ale costs 5 silver. The beer costs 1 silver.

The old timer seems to appreciate the company, and a drinking partner. He tells you that he used to be an adventurer like you, until he went to the hill and took a injury that absolutely does not involve arrows and knees. Since then, he's kept his eye on the Hill, and kept an ear out for rumors about it.

"First things first, man-eating ghouls prowl the Hill, looking for food. You'll know them by the smell. If you smell death, I recommend running. Second... I've heard reports of orcs on the hill... in large numbers, and organized, according to the ranger I talked to. Back in my day, there weren't any orcs out there, but things change. It's certainly a possibility. I just hope the guy was exaggerating, as we haven't faced an organized threat in decades."

The Hill itself, it's quite a climb. I recommend sticking to the dirt trails. I recall them being pretty obvious and easy to follow. That way at least you'll have an idea where you're going."

"As for the monastery? Hmmm.... definitely existed back in my day, on the other side of the hill, next to the graveyard. Even back then it was ruined. We didn't touch it, though. There's enough troubles on the Hill, without poking the ruins of the dead."

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:59 am

@Valerie and Sakura:
Alba seems suitably impressed with her hair flick, and smiles serenely at Valerie (and Sakura, who I'm just going to assume introduces herself, or has a panic attack).

"Surya. I am glad to hear that. This small town is always in need of extra hands for healing and light, which I do try to help the Curate of the chapel to Surya out with, though I must confess my own interest lies in the Caves of Chaos. I received a vision from St. Cuthbert- to destroy the "Shrine of Evil Chaos", and I believe such a source of evil may be within the Caves."

- - -

There we go. That should be enough information to make informed decisions. There's always more information to be gained, so feel free to continue following any RP threads you wish to, but at this point I am going to suggest that you start talking over, in character or out of character, what you wish to do next.

Using the discord is probably the easiest way to handle this.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 am

(@GM: Or both :P)

She'd likely completely blown it. She'd felt like Alba was trying to pick her up or something and stammered. Not even sure he'd heard her say her name or seen her most disgraceful bow.

Thankfully he had started to talk business — and that was an area she was less uncomfortable with.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:33 am

Valerie shakes her head, laughing. "The Shrine of Evil Chaos! Located inside the Caves of Chaos! OooOOoOOoohh!" She wiggles her fingers, mockingly. "Who names this stuff? Quite on the nose, don't you think?" She elbows Sakura in the side.

She stops laughing and clears her throat. "Well, goofy names aside, this IS something to take seriously. I don't suppose you have any idea what the source of evil may be specifically, eh? Like is it a thing, or maybe a person? Oh! And do you know anything about a kidnapped woman?"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:45 am

Sakura would've nodded at Valerie's joke, but the elbow got another reaction out of her: "Ow! Don't just go and hit me, please...", she said after she'd put herself together after flinching from the unexpected nudge.

She remains silent, as she was relatively uninterested in the all of this stuff with corny names, though she looks a bit inquisitively to Valerie after she mentions a kidnapped woman, wondering if she didn't already know something about the place — which would make her the poorest fit for being a cleric, but it's something that she expected.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:56 am

PK's reading comprehension is amazing- HPD went to the tavern, not the inn.

@Acame
Inside the tavern: There aren't as many people as normal, given that it's midway between noon and dinner time, and it looks like the staff is cleaning up after the lunch rush and preparing for the dinner rush. However, there are still a decent number of people- including a group of rough looking men and women taking up one of the large tables and being generally loud. There are also a few normal people enjoying a late lunch. Some people look at you when you enter, and there seem to be a few looks of surprise, but most people do seem well enough used to elves.

The man with the eccentric hat has also made his way here, and seems to be concentrating on a thought.

Incidentally, this is the OFFICIAL menu:

(1 ep = 5 sp, since it shows up there. Honestly, as I'm not tracking food, the only time I really care about prices is if you're bribing people, like what Hanzo had to do.

---

@Sakura and Valerie:
Alba looks a little nonplussed. "St. Cuthbert is known for being blunt, and I suppose that extends to what he names Divine Goals. But if He tells me to seek out a shrine with a silly name, I don't ask questions. It is, as you say, a serious matter. Unfortunately I do not know much about the source of evil itself, besides that it is a shrine of some sort, and that there appears to be something of the sort in the caves."

"A kidnapped woman... This is news to me, but I will ask around to see if anyone is missing, or if any travelers have gone missing. I'll get back to you if I hear anything."

"Will you be staying at the inn then, Valerie and... was your name Sakura ?" Alba asks the two. He seems to have either not noticed Sakura's nervousness, or is not saying anything out of being polite.

Depending on what you want, you can end the conversation and head to the inn in your next posts, or continue to talk to him. This is a natural ending point if you want to meet up with the others, though.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:57 am

"I will be staying there, and have an appointment to keep! Nice meeting you." Valerie waves goodbye, and pats Sakura on the head. "See you later."

She walks to the inn, opens the door and looks around for the captain. Not seeing him, she decides to sit down on a bench in front of the inn. While waiting, she decides to sing the holy song "Suryaloka". (She has prepared her "Light" spell.)
wisdom

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Acame approaches the man with the eccentric hat, seeing him sitting alone and looking like someone who might have something interesting to say.

"Hello, friend. My name is Acame, a wandering adventurer of sorts. I just arrived here this afternoon. Would you like some wine in exchange for some news about this area?"
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Sakura simply acquiesces when Alba inquires her name, then follows Valerie to the inn. Seeing as Valerie took to singing, she does not try to perturb her, only going back inside the inn to see if the rest are at their work.

For now, she decides not to wonder about that but decides to find a quiet spot to sit and think, giving a silent prayer to Yanagi-no-Mitama for a safe journey, the preservation of her spirit, and the end of all evil — if the party is to enter the real dangerous part of the journey tomorrow, she would rather be capable of healing. (She prepared her "Cure Light Wounds" spell.)
Last edited by Airnike on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:38 am

@Clerics:
In the Inn, Both of you see the same things Hanzo saw (Bear included, I feel obligated to note), except now Hanzo and an old man are drinking and the old man is telling him about the Hill to the south. Captain Borkish is not present.

@Acame:
The man in the eccentric hat seems quite pleased with this prospect. "A fine idea! A sharing of information over wine sounds delightful, my new friend Acame! I shall buy you a glass of wine as well, as one good drink deserves another." Regardless of whether you accept or not, he orders a glass of wine for you.

"My name is Kugel, Kugel the Lucky. I am an honest traveler from Marlinko canton, to the north. You yourself seem to be from distant lands- we don't get Elves in the north often. But no matter- before we get to information sharing, I simply must ask- are you interested in a rare, valuable, and very much exclusive opportunity?"

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:49 am

"Well, Master Kugel, I do appreciate your offer! Let us drink, to the distant lands we've both left behind us!"
Acame pretends to take a large swig of the wine. He's been in too many places to trust a given wine at face value. Not entirely trusting Kugel, he nevertheless decides to hear his proposal. If it's a con, Acame feels confident that he can see it from miles away.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:15 am

Kugel pulls a scroll out of his bag. "It just so happens that recently I came upon a map leading to the location of an ancient treasure- thousands of gold, if not more, if the rumors are to be believed. This map was penned by the great explorer Meifeilor, who admittedly is not known for particularly high quality maps, but nevertheless, it's guaranteed to lead to riches."

"I would go myself, if not for my bad leg. Injured on the journey south, you see. It is my wish to see the treasure find it's way into the hands of those that can use it wisely, someone wise like you! So, I'll be willing to part with this for the extremely low price of..." at this point Kugel pauses, taking a look at the quality of Acame's gear, "uh, let's say 60 gold pieces. When you consider the potential profits, there's no reason to say no!"

At no point does he actually unfold the scroll.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Rowan nods to Valerie as he reaches the tavern and lets her know what he's learned about the keep's soldiery and the state of the countryside, before heading inside.

"Want to put my boots up for a spell. Fetch me if I'm needed, hey?"

Once inside, he takes in the people in the common room and does his best to indicate his presence to Hanzo without distracting him from his conversation, before proceeding to Sakura's corner of the common room; acknowledging her with a nod, he sheds his gear and settles down in a seat, closing his eyes.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:50 am

Having listened to the old-timer's stories about the hill, Hanzo nods and seems lost in thought for a moment, before he speaks again.

"Since it sounds like you have been around, what do you know about the caves to the east? Do you think the orc tribes living there have any connection to the ones west from the river? Is that place infested with the undead too?"

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:14 am

Allright, I'm going to give HPD some time to finish his conversation with Kugel, but I do have an announcement to make.

I'm very pleased with how this first week has gone. Despite new players and time zone issues, you all have been active (or made it clear when you can't be active), have asked good questions, and generally it's been a good experience all around.

For this, I'm going to give each character 50 XP for completion of the initial town exploration. Feel free to record this on your character sheets.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:20 am

Acame continues smiling graciously to Kugel, but his voice betrays some incredulity at being seemingly taken for a fool.
"Master Kugel, surely a man of your stature would not consider taking me for a ride? But how, then, would I know that this chart is a genuine article? If you ask this much of me, you should be able to provide me with proof."

Acame thinks for a moment, then addresses Kugel once more:
"If this map is truly the real deal, and you're as certain of this treasure as you claim to be, then how about me and my companions use your map to find the treasure and we'll share the profit? I would be happy to promise you an equal share in the loot, should we find it."

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:19 am

Kugel seems to consider this for a moment.

"So skeptical! And yet I cannot part with this map for free simply on potentially empty promises, especially after offering you such a deal. My honor is on the line, you see. If you were willing to give me something of value in return to hold onto, we could talk, or perform a task for me... but... Perhaps we should establish a working relationship first, to deepen our trust in each other! You were asking for information about this country, and as it so happens I have no small skill as a Guide. Should you need help finding a location in this area that I know of, I charge 10gp per day- but only on successful completion of a journey!"

Unlike all the other words out of his mouth, his fee for his services seem priced honestly enough. If anything, he might be underselling himself.

"Of course, due to my leg, I would appreciate if you kept journeys to a day or so in length at most," he quickly adds, as an afterthought.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 am

"Yes, I too see the mutual benefit of your proposition. We are planning to set out for such a journey at the earliest opportunity, preferably tomorrow even, and could probably use a guide such as yourself. Your fee seems modest as well. However, I'm afraid I cannot hire you until I've had a chat with my associates first. I'm sure they'll agree on splitting the fee, but you know how these things go. We are staying in the Inn next door. Would you be willing to stop by there later so we can let you know our decision?"

(Whatever happens, I think Acame has gathered enough information here. Let's just say he politely takes his leave, pays his bar tab and heads back to the Inn with the others.)

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:29 am

@Acame
Kugel agrees with your logic, and waves you off, thanking you for the drink.

You arrive at the inn to see the same scene as everyone else- adventurers, bear, and Hanzo discussing things with the old man who I will now have respond belatedly...

@Hanzo:
"I've never been to that damned ravine myself. It's certainly possible that the orcs are related. Only other bit I've heard... apparently there's an ogre living there that sometimes helps the other cave dwellers fend off intruders."

"Never heard anything about undead out there, so that's something, at least."

At this point the old timer seems thoroughly drained of wisdom.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am

Hanzo thanks the old-timer for the chat, rises up and walks to the table with the two adventurers.

"Greetings, I am Hanzo, a traveler who arrived at these parts recently. I can't help but notice you two look like the adventurous sort. By any chance, have either of you visited the Caves of Chaos to the east, or the southwestern hill, and what can you tell me of these places?"

He looks the two over, trying to gauge their strength from how they look, and what their skillsets might be. A lot can be deduced from the armour, tools and weapons an adventurer carries with them.

(OOC:)
Ok it looks everyone is more or less done with the initial intel gathering.

I think there are still threads left in the town that deserve further investigation, including a few locations we haven't visited at all, but we can discuss which ones, if any, to pursue once we have rented a room. We can head out back to the town after the meeting and act on whatever bullet points we agree on (or just head straight to sleep and leave in the morning if it looks like everyone's sick of the town).

Hanzo has something he wants to share with the rest of the group in private and I think we will benefit from a meeting to share rumours, discuss STRATEGY and plan our next move. Based on earlier discussions I believe we are going to travel to the caves next morning, but I think there is still time to explore the town before we go to sleep.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:25 am

The woman wears scale mail and has a longsword and shield. The man wears leather armor, and carries a short sword and light crossbow. They both have backpacks lying on the floor, but there isn't anything particularly interesting in the backpack closest to the woman besides a hammer, and the man's backpack is closed.

"I'm Elaine, and this is my companion, Hector.We arrived in these parts recently as well, a month or so ago."

"Our party spent some time over on the Hill, sure. We figured it's less explored, so there's a decent chance of finding something good over there. I can confirm most of what the old man said, though we didn't meet any orcs, just goblins. And there are goblins everywhere, in my experience. That doesn't mean there aren't any orcs over there, the hill is a big place."

"The local insect life can be dangerous," Hector adds.

"Yes. That too. We tried to get some honey from a swarm of killer bees, having heard it has healing properties. This was a mistake," Elaine scowls.

"Since then, we've stayed away from the Hill. We've been exploring the marshes to the southeast. Not a ton of interest out there, but the lizardmen have some treasure, at least."

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:05 am

Hanzo guesses from their equipment that the woman is probably a fighter, and the man a thief (who else would be wearing leather armour!). Upon seeing the man's crossbow, he scoffs slightly, but makes no comment. Hanzo thinks crossbows are toys for children.

"Very well. I thank you for the information. Now, if you will excuse me."

He walks to the innkeeper and rents a room for five, for one night.

He gestures for the rest of the party to follow and retreats to the room. It is there he has decided to hold a meeting to share what they have learned and discuss their options.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:56 pm

The room is rather small for five people, it's clear that space is a premium in the Keep, but there is room for everyone to sleep and stash their gear. The room is on the second floor of the inn.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:32 am

Rowan starts from his rest in the common room in time to pick up on Hanzo's gesture and follows upstairs to the rented room, stowing his own gear in a neat bundle in a corner before finding a seat for himself.

"I only managed to learn bits and pieces about the countryside, but they run a tight ship in this place. I don't expect any trouble while we're inside the walls."

He grins. "How's the beer, anyway?"

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:36 am

(1gp deducted I assume)

Once everyone has settled around the room, Hanzo clears his throat and begins speaking.

"You may have noticed that I have an interest in a certain hill southwest from here, across the river. I have been collecting information about this place for some time now, and I will share with you what I have learned."

"Before we took our journey to the Borderlands, my research led me to a scholar who informed me about a ruined monastery on the hill, west of river Shrill."

He leans forward, with his eyes gleaming in the candlelight.

"I have reason to believe there may be treasure hidden within these ruins!"

Hanzo looks thoughtful.

"I believe the rumoured presence of ghouls lends credence to my source's claims. The dead do not usually move disturbed and rise up from their graves, unless there is an unnatural force driving them towards fulfilling some wretched purpose. Guarding an ancient treasure could be such a purpose."

"However, I realise that we have travelled to this land with a different quest in mind. If I am not mistaken we are planning to save some woman who got lost in the Caves of Chaos, east from here? I trust there is a sizeable reward for bringing her back to whoever contracted us for the rescue operation? If so, we are racing against time, so this should take priority. We can investigate the hill after we have extracted the woman."

He looks at Valerie and Acame, expecting one of them to explain the situation with the woman.

--------

OOC:
I'm listing here potential leads for investigation that we've uncovered. Some of them are located in the town, and we could still go out for a round of detective work after the meeting, before going to sleep and preparing for the journey to the caves (or wherever we decide to go).

Don't take this as some kind of a list of everything we MUST do. It's more just spitballing/brainstorming to see all the potential options we have. We can reduce it down to a few items that we actually want to act on and then do it.

Feel free to add to the list if I missed something you feel is important.

-The Church: Should probably visit this place.
-The Castellan and The Bailiff: Big honchos of the Keep. Where do they live? Is it worth seeking them out? Maybe they're questgivers?
-The Undead: We might run into these mofos if we go near the Hill. Could be worth seeing if the general store or the church supply undead repellant items/weapons/spells/whatever that could be useful against them.
-The Tavern: Seemed to be quiet in the midday but might be more lively later in the evening. Maybe worth a second visit
-Kugel's Map: The man looks shifty, and we don't know if his map will actually lead anywhere. But if he's willing to join us as a guide, this may be a less risky way to get use out of him than investing in the map. I'm not sure what to do about him, honestly, but I know Hanzo will have nothing to do with him. He will refuse to pool any money to buying anything from Kugel, and he will oppose the idea of hiring him or taking him along whatever. Hanzo has made up his mind.
-The Smithy: Hanzo could probably break into here through the roof... but is it worth it? What would we gain from it? Some armour and weapons?
-Window at the Southeastern Tower: Another place Hanzo might be able to burgle, but we don't know if anything valuable is in there... and we probably don't want to anger the guards
-The Two Story Building: Is this even important? Locals presumably know what it is, could ask around, or we could just go knock on the door
-Killer Bees? - their honey is rumoured to have healing properties. If true, it could be very useful, though these creatures are also reputed to be dangerous.
-Lizardmen? - Another rumour of treasure. I'm not sure if we should investigate this before or after the hill. May need to ask around more if more NPC's know anything about this.
-Hire the adventurers? - I suppose we could use some meatshields
-The Bear? - What's the deal with the bear? Is he sleeping? Should we wake him up, or let him be?

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:55 am

Rowan chimes in before Acame or Valerie can speak: "The guards here are also getting worried about bandits - might be them that have grabbed our missing woman. Even if they're not part of it, we'll want to keep our guard up while we're on the road. I've also heard that there's a tribe of dog-men in the caves, way up high; they're meant to be especially vicious, so we might want to start poking around the lower entrances first."

---

OOC:

Two more things to add to the list of possible plot hooks:

-Bandits: The guards at the keep have noticed increased bandit activity and have asked to be kept informed. They might even be willing to reward us for simple information, who knows?

-Furs? The trader in the keep has a special interest in furs. Might be worth keeping that in mind if we run into any animals or the like.

I'm going to be pretty busy for the next week or so; I'll keep up with discussion here but don't feel like you need to wait for me before making any decisions. At this point Rowan is content to play the hired muscle and will go along with any course of action the party settles on, provided it's not insanely dangerous.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:46 am

Acame glances nevously at Hanzo. "Well, the fact that a woman is held hostage is not much more to me than a rumour, I'm afraid. The information I got seems credible, though. I was hoping to find out more about the matter here. Maybe Valerie has found out more?"

At this point, Acame relays the information he found from Kugel at the tavern to the others, and asks who's willing to accept him as a guide. He himself thinks it's a good idea, but Hanzo seems adamantly opposed to the idea.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:37 pm

Valerie shakes her head and throws her hands up. "Bupkis! I learned nothing regarding the fate of that poor woman. Quite frustrating! Perhaps the clerics at Keep's local Surya temple know more, or this Curate fellow. Ah well. I did find out some spooky nonsense called the Shrine of Evil Chaos is also in the caves somewhere, and that it's spewing evil. So... maybe connected? Cultists trying to sacrifice some poor soul to their dark overlord or something? Something that needs doing, and it might as well be us! That said, it's a tall order, so I've asked the Captain to meet me here. I'd like to ask him to team up with us so we can clear out the cave of evil. Between us and some Keep soldiers, I'm sure we'd be able to accomplish our goals. Sound good?"
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 pm

"Pay no mind to this Kugel character. I saw him peddle his map to the local shopkeeper. The shopkeeper thought the map was of poor quality. He's just a swindler out for easy money."

"We might learn something by asking the curate of the temple about this Shrine of Evil Chaos. But I think our cleric of Surya should be the one to do the talking there. She's the one who knows the etiquette. But I believe she has an appointment in the Inn tonight?"

Hanzo scratches his beard deep in thought.

"Perhaps we can delay our departure. We could visit the church in the morning."

He did not seem terribly impressed when Acame and Valerie shared their knowledge about the woman. Hanzo is not the type to risk his life to rescue someone who might not even exist.

"We could spend the evening in the tavern and talk to any locals who enter. Someone there might know about a missing woman."

"Interrogate the barkeeper as well. Those types tend to hear all the rumours floating around a neighbourhood."