[VANILLA AW2] Let's discuss naval units

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Vaevictis

[VANILLA AW2] Let's discuss naval units

Post by Vaevictis » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:19 am

Hello, apologies in advance if this isn't the right place, but since it has to do with editing the game, I figured it might belong. Sorry I am still new and learning the ropes.

Naval units are obscenely underpowered in this game compared to ground and air, and I want to make them more viable. Air units are just so damn versatile in who they can attack, their damage, what they can do, and ground units are so plentiful and necessary. Landers, while useful, are expensive. Cruisers are situational, Subs exist to essentially kill Battleships, and Battleships are pretty good but are a luxury. What can be done about this? After reading a lot of posts here, I read the cruiser has unused animations using its machine gun for ground units! This could be a good opportunity to turn it into the "Battle Copter" of the sea (a decision which I have arbitrarily decided to make)! I'd like to make it be able to attack every unit available. It kind of fits, it's got missiles, it's got a machine gun, it's got the animations already there! I'm thinking with the right numbers, maybe even a price decrease (with some damage adjusting perhaps), this thing could be exactly what I'm looking for. I guess decrease the price of Landers to 10,000 also, which you guys have already beat me to. I think Battleships are in a decent spot. Subs could probably use a price decrease. I might be tempted to increase the damage vehicles (especially direct) due to cruisers if this change were to happen.

What do you guys think?