Old School D&D Play By Post: Initial Interest Survey

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

Old School D&D Play By Post: Initial Interest Survey

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 am

So, I've kicked this around on the discord server.

I want to run a play by post D&D game on these forums, if nothing else, to make it seem like there's activity on these boards. There's a catch, though. Modern editions of the game are a bit too complicated, I won't run them as a play by post. I'm sure it's possible to do it but I don't know how myself.

Instead I'm using Labyrinth Lord, a retro clone of D&D Basic. I'd run D&D Basic itself, but LL is free, which is a compelling reason to do anything. Old school games are highly lethal but I do plan to reduce the lethality a *bit*. It's still going to be a tad different than modern D&D.

In any case, before I get super deep into this, I'd like to know the following:

Are you interested in playing?
Are you ok with playing an older version of D&D?
Have you played D&D or similar games before? (any edition, including Pathfinder)

This isn't an official sign up, so no rush. Just want to know where interest stands. Ideally I'm looking for 3-5 players.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Re: Old School D&D Play By Post: Initial Interest Survey

Post by Bonesy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 am

yes, sure, not really

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 am

if you're willing to deal with my bumbling stupidity when it comes to these games, sure
(yes, yes, sort of not really list me as a no)
Last edited by scraggypunk on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:22 am

yes, yes, yes

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:02 am

yes, yes, no
Omnes adsint, quamvis dementi, quamvis nefasti
formerly DC

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:02 pm

yes, yes, yes

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:26 am

I have never played D&D but would love to try!

yes, yes, no!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 am

now to find some way to minmax myself into some OP mofo

(read that as a yes though i guess you will have to remind me)

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Yes, yes, D&D 3.5.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:04 am

Sweet, that's a lot of interest! 8 people. I'll get the official signups set either tomorrow or on sunday.

don't worry if you haven't played D&D before, I just wanted to know so I knew how much of a "how to D&D" section to write.

What I plan to run is an absolute classic module, Keep on the Borderlands by Gary Gygax. At least, that's how it'll start. Who knows how it will end up, because that's the magic of D&D.

Get hyped, this is actually happening.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm going to cap the game at 6 players for our sanity's sake. Players will be chosen randomly via Jugger-bot, and everyone who doesn't get picked will get put on a waiting list so that when someone disappears or find they can't keep up with the game, a player on the waiting list can jump in. This is, of course, assuming that everyone who has expressed interest maintains it to the end of signups. I'm not expecting a waiting list will be necessary, but if it is, this is the early warning. Want to make this clear early to mitigate dashed hopes and dreams.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:36 pm

If I can't get directly into the party, I'd also be happy just playing an NPC or temporary character. But let's see how it goes.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:17 am

It's not so much balance or powerlevel that worries me, it's just that the more people are in a game, the more questions and actions I'll have to respond to, slowing down my ability to keep the game moving. There's also the distinct possibility that with too many people posting players will get confused and have trouble following what's going on. I've never run a Play By Post (for D&D), so I'm putting a cap. If this turns out to be a nonissue I will happily remove it.