D&D: Keep On The Borderlands Sign Up

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

D&D: Keep On The Borderlands Sign Up

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 am

Welcome to the land of imagination. You are about to begin a journey into worlds where magic and monsters are the order of the day, where law and chaos are forever at odds, where adventure and heroism are the meat and drink of all who would seek their fortunes in common pursuits. This is the realm of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS AdventureGame- Gary Gygax

You are a band of fledgling adventurers, traveling north from the comforts of civilization to the edges of the wilds, the Borderlands. Along the river Shrill sits the KEEP. The keep has no name, and it's not clear if it ever did. Nevertheless, it is a bastion of law in the land of chaos, a point of light in the darkness. Whether you come here to earn a fortune, to battle monsters, or simply because you had no other choice is up to you. The game will begin with you small group traveling along that great river, almost at your destination...

What You Need To Know
There's going to be a lot of words. Not just here, but in my links. This is just all stuff that needs to be said, most of it I would hash out with a Session 0 but as we aren't have actual sessions, it gets frontloaded a bit.

What is this
ITT: We play a game called Labyrinth Lord, which is a retroclone of D&D Basic, using the forums as a base and discord for instant communication. I’m looking for 4-6 players, but if we get more than this I will create a list.

The pace will be fairly slow compared to a normal D&D game but I'd really really love if people could try to check in at least once a day. Obviously that won't always be possible as we are all busy people and I'm going to be terrible about this myself, but in order to keep things moving I reserve the right to move things along if more than two days have passed without a response to something. If you are MIA for a week without notifying me and we have a waiting list, I reserve the right to swap a new player in.

Why Labyrinth Lord?
It's simple and free. It's fully possible to play it without a map being needed constantly. That's important for forum play by post play.

What to Expect
A lot of dungeon crawling. A lot of exploring. Not a ton of story, unless it emerges organically from play- I don't have a preplanned narrative here. This will be a very player driven game, I won't be running a railroad here. Also expect difficulty. Old school gameplay is lethal. I'll be saying that again here, because it's important- if you intend to solve everything with brute force, you won't get very far. The solution to a situation is rarely on your character sheet. Above all: Expect Old School D&D.

Materials

The System
http://goblinoidgames.com/index.php/downloads/

Go there. Download the Labyrinth Lord book. If you've played modern D&D and the lack of classes are killing you, pick up the Advanced Edition Compendium and talk to me.

What To Read: Not the whole book. Don't do that to yourself. Read Section 2 on character creation. If you have never played D&D, read section 1 as well. Read Section 3 (Spells) if you plan to play a Cleric, Magic User, or Elf. When I say read, I mean skim. Get an idea of what your options are.

Character Sheet: I often use a site called Mythweavers, which has a D&D Basic sheet. Using notepad to just list out stuff then posting it on WWN in text is also a valid option, and I'll provide a template. Finally, actually printing out a character sheet, filling it out, and scanning it is not unheard of, if you have access to a scanner (or a really good camera, I guess).

Discord: Discord is a great place to reach me and ask me questions, as well as talk out of character. It also has a dice bot. Which is important, because rolling dice is important (make your dice rolls in the ELFGAMES channel). Because of this, Discord is a requirement. There’s a handy link on the forum index.

House Rules, Character Creation, and the Nitty Gritty

Actually, I created a google doc for creating a character and house rules here. This is really important, so please read it. It also spend some space explaining D&D and the particular quirks of Labyrinth Lord, at least some of them. I've tried to include everything I want to know as a player.

Forum Play

Because I've seen a lot of play by posts crash and burn because this stuff isn't clear.

There are two types of major interactions between player and DM that require a DM response to move the game forward:
Asking a Question of the DM. Self explanatory.
Making an action. To be clear, this is an action that a DM must resolve. Which are most of them that interacts with the environment, but you don’t need for me to approve your desire to sharpen your blade or anything else that isn’t interactive..

If your post is lengthy, please bold Questions you want answered and/or the major Action of your post. Treat it like a mafia vote.

Feel free to ask questions in Discord as well, I may be able to answer them quicker. Discord is the easiest way to get a hold of me, you can direct message or ask me in the ELFGAMES channel. If you think a question is essential for the entire group to know and see the answer to, then I would ask it in the topic.

Do not feel the need to make your posts long. Keep them short but clear for best results. A single paragraph is probably all you’ll need once we get into the meat of the game, or even a single sentence at times. Remember, a long post is a misunderstood post.

In Character vs Out of Character: Clarity is my biggest concern. If for some reason you get worried about this, I do not mind if you “break character”, and would prefer you do so in order to make questions, intentions, and actions explicit.. In addition, feel free to discuss your character’s actions with the group before acting, even in situations with time pressure, like combat. This is normal.

Timekeeping: I intend to make it clear with every post what dungeon turn or round of combat or day of the month it is. I am not usually so organized, but I believe it will help with being able to follow what is going on.

Player Communication: I will not be requiring the players to communicate with each other, plan strategies, or anything else. That's on you. I do recommend it, though, and as such have provided a discord channel for your use, in addition to the topic. I watched a pbp game fall apart because no one took the time to communicate with each other so only half the party engaged the enemies at any given time while the other ones ran away. Don't be that group.

Signing Up
Just roll up a character and post it in this topic (or a link to the mythweavers page, whatever works)

There is no rush, as if we have too many people sign ups will be determined randomly, rather than first come first served.

If you have any questions (you probably will), feel free to ask. I may not get back to you right away, but I'll get back to you eventually.

I will likely start this in a week or so. Maybe two.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Pkdragon

Re: D&D: Keep On The Borderlands Sign Up

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:21 am

Here is a blank character sheet that you can use, copy it to word or notepad or google docs. Feel free to modify it and mangle it how you wish.
Hidden Text
Name:
Hp:
Injury Count: 0/6
Lvl:
Experience Points: ____/____

Race/Class:
Alignment:
Languages:

Str: __ (+_)
Dex: __ (+_)
Con: __ (+_)
Int: __ (+_)
Wis: __ (+_)
Cha: __ (+_)

Armor Class:
Saving Throws:
__ vs Breath
__ vs Poison/Death
__ vs Petrify/Paralyze
__ vs Wands
__ vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
Gold:
Treasure Found:

Background:
Appearance:
Motivation:
Party Connections:
Q&A From the Discord:

Bonesy
id better hurry and make my char but i don't want to do a cleric lol
Pkdragon
Don't feel like you need to be any specific class tbqh. I think the starting scenario won't break even if the party turns out to be a bunch of fighters and thieves
Bonesy
ok
Pkdragon
Magic is just a single spell at level 1

DemonKingu
if this is anything like D&D, I should probably drop the 15 on con no matter what class
Pkdragon
I'm going to weigh in on ability scores because I don't believe in character creation being a trap:
CON is probably the safest option, but DEX is almost as safe. Unlike in modern editions, CHA is probably the strongest stat, but only if you know how to use it.
WIS saves lives, STR kills enemies before they can kill you
but I'll admit CON and DEX are more directly applicable than WIS in a lot of cases. But when WIS comes up you'll love it.
INT is the weakest stat in this game.
there's no way around it especially since I got rid of bonus XP. However. Being able to communicate with your enemies allows the possibility of negotiation, which can save lives more efficiently than CON or DEX
so even though I say it's the weakest I still wouldn't call it a dump stat.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Name: Hanzo
Hp: 4
Injury Count: 1/6
Lvl: 1
Experience Points: 254/1251

Race/Class: Thief
Alignment: Chaotic
Languages: Common, Chaos

Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 16 (+2)
Con: 14 (+1)
Int: 11 (+0)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 10 (+0)

Armor Class: 8 (Leather)
Saving Throws:
16 vs Breath
14 vs Poison/Death
13 vs Petrify/Paralyze
15 vs Wands
14 vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
Leather Armor (6gp)
Longbow (40gp)
Quiver and Arrows (5gp)
6 Arrows +1
Sword, short (7gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Waterskin/Wineskin (1gp)
Thieves' tools (30gp)
Sack, small (1sp)
Pole, 10-foot wooden (2 sp)
Torches (8) (3 sp)
Flint and steel (2gp)
One weeks’ trail rations (3.5gp)
Grappling hook
Rope, hemp (50 ft.)

On the cart:
Rope, hemp (50 ft.)
2x Axe, hand
Hammer
Ladder, 10-foot
Pick, miner's
2x Spade
Spikes, iron (24)
Stakes, wooden (30)

Gold: 141gp 5sp 6cp

Treasure Found: None yet

Background: A scion of a wealthy criminal family who has fallen out of favour of his clan's elders and been banished, and is now wandering the world seeking to restore his honour through his actions.

Appearance: Middle-aged man with an eastern appearance. Trimmed beard and dark hair tied to a knot behind his head. Some greying can be seen on the sides of his head. His left arm is adorned by a tattoo of a dragon, which he displays prominently.

Motivation: He wants to redeem himself and restore his place as the rightful leader of his clan and lord of his ancestral castle. How exactly he plans to do this is unclear, but it will probably involve adventure and derring-do in the service of a party of treasure hunters and he is very determined to prove his worth.

Party Connections: Sakura - went to this land by the same boat

Retainers:
Pavol the Master Torchbearer (Lv 0)
HP: 2 AC: 9 Morale: 7
Torch: +0, 1d4 + 0
Special: Dual Wields Torches ( he can theoretically attack twice, -2 to first attack, -4 to second attack.)
Last edited by Narts on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:01 am

Name: Rowan
Hp: 8
Experience Points: 334/2035

Race/Class: Fighter
Alignment: Neutral
Languages: Common, Neutral

Str: 16 (+2)
Dex: 10 (+0)
Con: 10 (+0)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 9 (+0)
Cha: 12 (+0)

Melee:

Handaxe: +2, 1d6 + 2
Dagger: +2, 1d4 + 2

Ranged:

Sling: +0, 1d4 +0

Armor Class: 5 (scale with shield)

Saving Throws:
15 vs Breath
12 vs Poison/Death
14 vs Petrify/Paralyze
13 vs Wands
16 vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
Helmet (10gp)
Scale mail (50gp)
Shield (10gp)
Handaxe(1gp)
Dagger (3gp)
Sling (2gp)
Bullets (nil)
Backpack (2gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Winter blanket (5sp)
Waterskin (1gp)
10 candles (10cp)
Flint and steel (2gp)
8 Torches (3sp)
Crowbar (2gp)
Shovel (2gp)

2 Potions of Healing

Starting Gold: 1gp, 5sp, 90cp

Treasure Found:
Ogre Loot - 154 gp, 3 sp, 11cp

Expenses to date:
One week of carousing: 50gp
One week of training: 80gp
Cart & horse share: 20gp
Dagger: 3gp

Current Gold: 2gp, 8sp, 101cp

Background: Rowan has wandered around for years as a guard, mercenary, and occasional assassin, doing whatever work is offered to a man with a strong arm and few scruples.

Appearance: Tall and lean with flowing black hair and beard, a blunt, broad face, and skin tanned by a lifetime spent outdoors. His armour is scuffed and dented but always kept clean. A golden clasp in the shape of a heron is the only adornment in his otherwise nondescript clothing.

Motivation: Years of guarding, guiding, and sometimes robbing the wealthy have given Rowan a taste for the finer things in life: food, art, beautiful men and women - and above all, drink. He’s tired of working small jobs for men with smaller ambitions: he wants to wander the world and find the most extravagant entertainments he can, and make a pile of coin to fund them while he’s at it.

Party Connections: TBD

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 am

Name: Acame
Hp: 4
Experience Points: 279/4065

Race/Class: Elf
Alignment: Neutral
Languages: Common, Neutral, Elvish, Gnoll, (Hob)goblin, Orc

Racial ability: Infravision 60 ft, Detect Hidden and secret doors (roll 1-2 on 1d6), unaffected by Ghoul paralysis

Str: 11 (+0)
Dex: 11 (+0)
Con: 11 (+0)
Int: 11 (+0)
Wis: 9 (+0)
Cha: 15 (+1)

Attack: 1d8
Ranged attack: 1d8

Spell Book:
Lv 1:
Magic Missile: 1T, 150', 1d6+1 dmg
Charm Person: Spec, 120', Jedi mind trick

Lv 2:
ESP: 12T, 60', 1 turn delay per creature in range, perceive thoughts of all creatures in range

Armor Class: 5
Saving Throws:
15 vs Breath
12 vs Poison/Death
13 vs Petrify/Paralyze
13 vs Wands
15 vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
Longbow (40gp)
Quiver and arrows (5gp)
Longsword (10gp)
Chain mail (70gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Winter blanket (5sp)
Waterskin/Wineskin (1gp)
10 candles (10cp)
Flint and steel (2gp)
8 Torches (3sp)
Wine (2 pints) (1gp)
Case, map or scroll (1gp)

Starting gold: 13gp, 5sp

Treasure Found: Ogre loot (154 gp, 3 sp, 11 cp)

Expenses so far: Bar tab (5 sp)
Kugel (10gp)
Training (70gp)

Current gold: 87gp, 3sp, 11cp

Background: Born into wealthy Elven nobility, but lost his inheritance due to a gambling problem. Acame is charming but self-absorbed and believes he can talk his way out of any sticky situation. Like many of his kind, he is enamoured by poetry and (bardish) music.

Appearance: Acame's lanky Elvish build is often mistaken as weak by the lesser educated. Like all of his family, he has very pale skin and long blue hair. Dresses elegantly.

Motivation: Acame's gambling addiction made him dirt poor. Its consequences lost him much of his dignity. Now he's adamant to regain enough wealth and power to challenge his family and thus regain his status. As long as he can keep his hands away from the dice...

Party Connections: TBD

Retainers:

Kugel
HP: 1 AC: 9 Morale: 8
Short Sword: +0, 1d6 + 0

Hector
HP: 3 AC: 8 (Leather) Morale: 8
Short Sword: +1, 1d6 + 1
Crossbow: +0, 1d6

Code: Select all

Experience Level Hit Dice (1d6)
       0     1      1
   4,065     2      2
   8,125     3      3
  16,251     4      4
  32,501     5      5
  65,001     6      6
 130,001     7      7
 200,001     8      8
 400,001     9      9
 600,001    10     +2 hp only *
*Hit point modifiers from constitution are ignored
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 am

Name: Valerie
Hp: 3
Experience Points: 264/1,565

Race/Class: Cleric
Alignment: Lawful
Languages: Common and Lawful

Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 9 (+0)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 14 (+1)
Cha: 11 (+0)

Armor Class: 3
Saving Throws:
16 vs Breath
11 vs Poison/Death
14 vs Petrify/Paralyze
12 vs Wands

Equipment:
Splint Mail (75gp)
Shield (10gp)
Mace (5gp)
Helmet (10gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Case, map or scroll (1gp)
Ink (8gp)
Quill pen (1sp)

Gold: 178gp 7sp 3cp

Treasure Found: Two Scrolls of Cure Light Wounds, A Health Potion, Eight Copper Pieces That Look Like Gold

Background: Valerie's home village was devastated by a plague. As a result, she has dedicated herself to medical advancement! She travels around trying to learn as much as she can about the world to achieve her goals, but can get a little lost in the weeds.

Appearance: Bright golden hair kept in a short bob to fit properly in her helmet. Average height and fit build in her black and red splint mail.

Motivation: Valerie wants to save the world by curing all diseases and ailments, including death itself! She thinks there must be some combination of cleric magic and necromancy can surely lead to this goal.

Party Connections: Acame and Valerie met in a tavern and hit it off. He heard about someone needing rescue, and that's all she needed to hear to give a hand! Not wanting to be overwhelmed, they hired Rowan as some extra muscle.

Retainers:
Murgen
HP: 6 AC: 7 Morale: 8 (+1 due to being a bear)
Polearm: +1, 1d10 + 1
2 Bear Claws: +0, 1d4
Has 70gp 5sp

Alice-Talks-To-Crows
HP:3 AC: 8 Morale: 7
Old Longsword: +0, 1d8 + 0 damage, breaks on a critical failure.
Can talk to animals... ?

Veera
HP: 8 AC: 7 Morale: 7
Two-handed-sword: +0, 1d10 + 0
Last edited by scraggypunk on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:21 am, edited 10 times in total.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:21 am

Name: Hoshimoto Sakura (This is a Japanese name, Hoshimoto is the family name, in case that wasn't obvious.)
HP: 5
Injury Count: 2/6
Experience Points: 0194/1565

Race/Class: Cleric
Alignment: Neutrality
Languages: Common, Neutral

Str: 11 (+0)
Dex: 12 (+0)
Int: 12 (+0)
Wis: 13 (+1)
Cha: 7 (-1)

Attack: 1d6
Ranged attack: 1d4

Armor Class: 3
Saving Throws:
16 vs Breath
11 vs Poison/Death
14 vs Petrify/Paralyze
12 vs Wands

Equipment:
Banded Mail (85 gp)
Helmet (10 gp)
Shield (10 gp)
Mace (5 gp)
Sling (2 gp)
----
Accessories:
Bedroll (1 sp)
Blanket, winter (5 sp)
Flint and steel (2 gp)
Holy symbol (1gp)
Unpreserved rations, 2 days (4sp)
Trail rations, 2 days (10sp =1gp)
Large sack (2 sp)
Vial (1 gp)
Waterskin, x2 (2 gp)
16 torches (6sp)

Purchases:
Longbow
Arrows, x40
Shortsword

Gold: 92gp, 9sp, 4cp
Treasure Found: N/A

Background: Sakura lived originally as a noble of a foreign province, but it was annexed one year ago. She was drafted to serve as a medic, but on her first day, her dorm was wiped out by a fellow recruit who refused to let the conquerors simply help themselves. Sakura didn't die from her wounds, but after seeing all her friends dead, it's safe to say that at least a part of her died that day. Traumatized by the murders, Sakura has been seeking out the killer ever since.
She used to worship another deity, but after going down her path of revenge, she worships Yanagi-no-Mitama-no-Mikoto, an obscure deity that was worshipped in her province of origin exclusively.
Yanagi-no-Mitama is a goddess of humility and dignity, more exactly a goddess of steadfastness after defeat. Her commonly-written story is that she was a maiden who was defeated in battle, impaled herself with her sword, but remained alive through the first occupation period, maintaining the provincial beliefs and doggedly accepting the invaders on the surface until they were eventually driven out. People believe she spontaneously died and ascended, as she disappeared into light.

Appearance: Shoulder-length salmon-colored hair, wears a white tunic with red and gold trimmings. The sleeves are torn off but were loosely sewed with red tissue. Her clothes look like those of nobility, albeit torn and sewed back up.

Motivation: Sakura adventures to get stronger so she can get back at the person who mentally scarred her, and find inner peace in the moments of adventuring so the more grim parts of herself don't eat her up.

Party Connections: Hanzo — went to this land by the same boat
Last edited by Airnike on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 am, edited 11 times in total.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm going to be moving forward this weekend, for the sake of keeping up momentum. If you haven't signed up by then, you can still be a backup player.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:27 am

As promised, moving on. If you did not make a character, don't worry, you will be added as a backup player to be added when convenient. I only have 5 players right now, so I can handle 1 more player joining at a later date without losing any current players. (Possibly more if this goes really well, but for now I'm still capping the number at 6).

The current starting party, then, is:

1) Hanzo, the Thief (Narts)
2) Rowan, the Fighter (Terr)
3) Acame, the Elf (HPD)
4) Valerie, a Cleric (Scraggy)
5) Sakura, a Cleric (Airnike)

(Clerics, if you wish to come up with a God to worship to differentiate yourself, feel free to do so)

So, the last step is to determine party connections. I'd like everyone to take a look at this document of party connections if you have not yet, and choose another player (either randomly, with a d4 dice or random.org, or because you feel a connection with another character). Then roll for a connection, contact that person, and flesh things out. Time zones could be an issue, so don't feel you need to go into TOO much depth.

You may of course also pick a connection you like, or create your own idea. The list is to be used as an idea seed, not a requirement. The random generation makes it simpler when working with two players across varied time zones, though.

I will be starting things tomorrow provided nothing unexpected happens. Due to the slow nature of the game I expect it will be fine if party connections aren't fully fleshed out by the start of the game, try to get them done by a week?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 am

So DC posted that she still has interest but it was a busy week for her, so this is what I said in the discord:

"hmmm... I feel like giving DC a little itsy bitsy more time, and tomorrow is Payroll for me so
I'm going to start this on Tuesday
I hate delaying it further because everyone was so good about getting their stuff done early
but I think that's the best way to handle it"

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I will probably sign up as a backup later; I am totally swamped for the next 2-3 weeks, this is why I did not sign up.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:08 am

No problem! Thanks for letting me know.

So, when I create the game, I'll be creating yet another topic. It is important that this topic remains clear of gameplay so that people can post things like "hey i'm not going to be able to post for a week" and so that character sheets can be easily referenced. Just feel like explicitly stating that.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:44 am

So, how in the world do hirelings work

Hirelings were an expected resource of the this era, though expensive, and I'd be doing you a disservice to not bring them up, now that we're settled in. I'll keep this as quick as possible.

Two types of hirelings: retainers and specialists. Specialists are skill laborers who you hire for a specific task, usually an expensive one. Retainers are people who actually go with you into the dungeon.

To find retainers, you can either go up to people and ask them if they'd like to travel with you, or post a general request on the tavern job board. Retainers will want to discuss what they are expected to do and share of the loot they'll get. In general, people don't want to go into a dungeon expecting to fight if they aren't trained, but there's also room for torchbearers, or just someone to carry the excess loot. The final step is that I'll roll a reaction roll, based on the character doing the hiring's CHA and how acceptable the risk and reward are for the individual retainer.

Share of loot: Ignore what I said earlier. Each retainer that actually goes into dungeons get 1/2 of a share of the loot. To calculate this, consider them as having 1 share, and players as having 2 shares. Divide your total loot by your total number of shares to get how much a share is worth, then give each player two of those. Don't do this until you leave the dungeon for a minimum of math. [Torchbearers and luggage holders and other noncombatants get 1/4 a share, so you can either do the same thing as describe above but with players getting 4 shares, retainers 2, or for an easier time just hire them two at a time.]

Flat fees are fine too, but not particularly affordable early on.

Note: Treasure grants XP, so hirelings do reduce XP gain. Just letting you know.

Maximum Retainers is determined by CHA, it's in the book.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:31 am

Updated the previous post with a method to determine loot shares with relative ease.

EDIT: Who controls hirelings?

You do. Specifically the character who hired the hireling gives them orders, and they are assumed to carry them out. However, the GM has the final word and may have the hireling refuse to do something. It's kinda a weird shared zone of control.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:12 am

Survival Guide To Old School Combat

Okay. We're getting closer to the point you'll actually be adventuring. If you haven't noticed, characters in this system have very few HP. Even with the injury system I have in place, even with hirelings, combat has the potential to get very bad very fast. So I'm going to give you some basics I've gleamed, so that I'm not sending you to your dooms completely unprepared. The most basic lesson is this: Combat is the last resort, but if you have to do it, treat it as War.

Diplomacy
Talking isn't always possible, but it usually is. Language could be a problem, and you obviously can't talk to things like evil giant spiders. Except when you can. Based on the standard reaction roll odds, most enemies are at least willing to put in some conversation, even monsters like orcs. Diplomacy isn't easy, but it is the number 1 way to prevent deaths.

Surprise
Surprise gives you a free turn, and with the morale system, that can win battles. If you set up ambushes, I'll give you good odds of getting a surprise round. When combined with all the other tricks on this list, this can make or break combat.

Morale
Again, if you have to fight, hit them in the morale. Enemies have to make morale checks when one of their number dies, when half of their number has been taken out of the combat (in a nonlethal sense), or any time other time I feel makes sense (so doing things to spook enemies might actually work!). Not all enemies will flee, and if an enemy makes a morale check twice they usually aren't going to flee, but this is still a great way to reduce the numbers against you.

Turn Undead
You can't talk to most undead, and most lack Morale, but you can attempt to turn them. This party has two clerics, so that should be easy enough. To clarify- Turning Undead causes the undead to retreat (or at high levels be destroyed completely). It does not turn them friendly, or into minions.

Fire
Oil Flasks do more than power lanterns- Oil Flasks can be used as a burning projectile and for many other creative projects. Fire is a dangerous tool that can do more harm than good, but it can wipe a lot of enemies very quickly. Fire is also the sort of thing that can trigger morale checks.

Iron Spikes
Iron Spikes - a fairly easy to miss mundane item, but they're kind of famous. Besides being used to create your own traps, they're also often used for jamming doors shut (shoving a spike under the door makes it much harder to open). This could also be considered the "get creative with mundane items" piece of advice.

Retreat
Don't be afraid to retreat. As a GM, I want my players to play smart, and that means I'm generally a bit nicer than the base rules imply when it comes to retreats. We can cover that when it happens, but in general while the enemies might get a few free swipes at you depending on the situation, I'll usually allow you to get away. One tip- If you really want to shake an enemy, drop something it might like behind you. For example, rations or treasure...

Use the Environment
This is really the key. Keep an eye out for anything you can use to your advantage. Doors, chokepoints, holes, and anything else- more than I can list, because I can't predict what you think of. And this applies to altering the environment as well- dig holes, cut down trees. Combat is war, so go all out.

(Based on this, if there are any last minute purchases you wish to make, let me know!)

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:04 am

NEW MECHANIC!

Carousing: You may spend Level*d8 x 10 amount of gold to cut loose and engage in revelry for a week. If you don’t have enough, you’ll lose everything you have and won’t gain XP, otherwise you’ll gain XP equal to the gold spent. Then, regardless of the prior outcome, you’ll need to make a Constitution check. If you fail this save, interesting things will happen = )

Training: Training is somewhat safer than carousing. You’ll need Level*d8 x 10 gold, (though you do not lose it if you can’t afford the training) and you gain xp equal to half of what was spent on the training. The training takes a week. You then need to make a Con check or have a mishap occur. These mishaps in general will be less dangerous than what can potentially happen via carousing.

Donations: The safest and quickest, but least XP-efficient way of double-dipping. You just need to find a cause worth donating to. There are no limits on donations, and it takes all of a day to formalize the proceeds, but you only gain ¼ of the gold as xp. (So donate in intervals that can be divided by 4!)

TL;DR: You can pour your gold into one of these three activities to get bonus XP. The first two options are very slow and dangerous while the last option is reliable and quick but gold-inefficient.

These are extremely unplaytested, but the general idea is tried and true. The rules may conveniently change later.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:27 am

Name: Conor Llywelyn
Hp: 3
Lvl:
Experience Points: __/__

Race/Class: Magic-user (prefers to go by ''mage'')
Alignment: lawful
Languages: human, basic elvish,basic dwarfs. Has been poking around with other lanugages.

Str: 7 (-1)
Dex: 10
Con: 15 (+1)
Int: 16 (+2)
Wis: 12
Cha: 8 (-1)

Armor Class: 9
Saving Throws:
vs Breath
vs Poison/Death
vs Petrify/Paralyze
vs Wands
__ vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
9 lantern
3,5 rations
25 guard dog
15 spellbook
8 ink
0,1 quill
1 parchement 5
0,2 sack(L)
3 dagger
2 sling
2 backpack
1 bedroll
5 blanket
0,5 oil 5 flasks
1 waterkin
10 rope silk
1 case, map, or scroll.

Spells:
Read magic. (Lv 1)
magic missile (Lv 1)
Sleep (L 1)
ESP (Lv 2)

Gold: 52,7
Treasure Found:

Background: Youngest son of a minor noble house in a island nation rich with legends of magical creatures which rarely would mingle with humans. Such heritage is the source of his inherent magical talent. Not being expected to lead himself, he lost himself in study in his youth, finding a fascination for nature and magic both. Aside from being bookish, he's a avid lover of hiking, exploring the estate accompanied by his beloved dog. His parents began to have reservations of his lack of restraint exploring his various interests. Feeling there's little gain staying home, Conor took it upon himself to go see the world, although without permitted. Somewhat shy, and awkward, although more easygoing when feeling comfortable.
Appearance: Thin, black haired, grey eyes. Not very tall and of a frail build, but in good psyhical condition regardless. Dressed in good quality travel clothing, although somewhat ruffled. The dog is competent as a guard dog, but friendly with Conor and trusted individuals.
Motivation: His goal is to both further his study of arcane lore(and youthful giddyness about wielding power), and to understand more about nature and the various societies. He's curious about the age old question the world's arcane and divine energies are connected with nature.
Party Connections:
Last edited by Dragonite on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am

You got... 25 guard dogs?
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:04 pm

It lets them work in shifts!

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:08 am

nah, the number is the GP value. I'll reformat it soon.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm

So I've done a little bit of reading up on OSR games and I've come to the conclusion these old-school elfgames are so hard we're going to need all the retainers we can possibly find.

I did a calculation of how many NPC members can our party support based on our PC's charisma values.

The charisma table:

Retainer
Score       Retainers    Morale
3           1            4
4-5         2            5
6-8         3            6
9-12        4            7
13-15       5            8
16-17       6            9
18          7            10
PC party members and their charisma values:

Retainer
Player       Charisma       Retainers      Morale
Acame        15             5              8
Hanzo        10             4              7
Rowan        12             4              7
Valerie      11             4              7
Sakura        7             3              6
Conor         8             3              6
Total number of retainers we can support: 23

Current number of retainers: 2

If a party of 20+ characters sounds ridiculous... well keep in mind OG D&D evolved directly from wargames that regularly had dozens of units and the RPG hobby was still searching for its form. Parties of this size were considered normal and adventures were scaled in difficulty accordingly.

If I've understood things correctly, these retainer limits aren't some kind of a joke - we're actually expected to fill them up and pad our party with an entire company of NPC meatshields.

This game is closer to Fire Emblem than Baldur's Gate.

So let's keep this in mind in future and take every opportunity to hire retainers and not be stingy about it!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:42 pm

that's... surprising

but sure! full on mercenary company aww yeah
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Since we have two clerics, a elf, and soon two magic-users/mages, that might actually work out at higher levels.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:52 pm

so even i can have 3 retainers huh?

that's impressive

the game would look like Fire Emblem if that happened — well, Fire Emblem except you have like 4 units and there's 20+ green units :P

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Making a CHA-based character seems to have been a good call.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:54 am

I partially addressed this on the discord but it's worth posting my full thoughts.

Narts isn't wrong. A certain number of retainers are indeed expected. A full 23 retainers might very well be overkill, due to space considerations (you are heading into caves, after all) and loot splitting. Also the more hirelings you have, the more likely they will be targeted and die. Some mortality is expected, but it's worth considering, especially with Morale being a thing. Obviously, you'll have to manage all your people, and that'll add some complexity. Finally, there's a question of hireling numbers. A small settlement like the Keep definitely doesn't have 23 solid retainers (though the more you work with the guards the more that will change!) and not all hirelings will be willing to work for you (reaction rolls).

(the following is more of an aside but may interest you)
Hidden Text
For context: One of the modules I'm using (involving a certain Hill), recommends 5 characters of level 3, or 9-10 characters of level 1. A lot of the older modules used this type of balance suggestion. This confused me at first- did they really have 9 to 10 players at a table? The answer seems to be, well, yes, sometimes. But this is also used as a hireling recommendation by some people- if you don't have 9-10 characters, hire enough hirelings to have 9-10 characters. (And if you do have 9-10 people at a table, or have 5 people playing two characters at once, it's much less necessary to have a full hireling force.)
I might say as a general rule, a hireling for every PC should be enough, especially with 6 players. It may not be enough depending on your decisions and how you tackle problems, but if so, more hirelings won't necessarily save you as much as playing smarter will.

WITH ALL THAT SAID. If you want to create a giant mercenary band, go for it. It's a style of play that is very old school, and as a GM I'd absolutely love to see it. This post is just to make sure you realize the complications and that I don't consider it necessary, just one potential path to victory. If the idea of managing 23 hirelings appeals to you, go for it. If it sounds like too much micromanagement, then don't.

Next post I want to make a little note about difficulty. Don't want people to get TOO scared.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:55 am

Re: Difficulty: The main difficulty of old school adventures is simply how lethal everything is. One of the interesting things about the OSR, at least the circles I pay attention to, is that it actually has a pretty strong emphasis on tempering that difficulty with fairness. These are the principles I've taken away:

- Most intelligent enemies should act based on reaction rolls. Forced fights against humanoids should be rare. They can become more common based on player decisions, but until then, reaction rolls are king. Note that Gygax designed Keep with a decent amount of forced fights. In general though, if it isn't specifically called out as forced, it's a reaction roll.

- Traps should give some sort of hint that they exist. It can be subtle.

- Morale checks. I've said a lot about that in the past. It's important to give you a fighting chance.

- Default to Yes or Yes, but. I'm trying to give you a lot of leeway to tackle the area in the way you think is best, though if I can offer a complication I will offer it. There's no reason to deny something that makes sense, however. Even Valerie's attempts to march the keep soldiers into the caves are being listened to, progress is being made on that front- it just requires you to gain a certain amount of reputation ("Yes, but").

Prioritize the Interesting Choice: When in doubt, I try to give you a decision to make. Hopefully an interesting one, though I am not psychic or perfect. I'm much more likely to offer a conundrum than a deadly trial, though Gygax is the opposite here.The result should be a healthy mix.

- A lot of OSR players use Injury tables similar to what I do. I'm not 100% thrilled with my current system, but it did save Sakura in a way most other systems wouldn't have. It also can save people's lives from poison, another common source of lethality that most other systems don't cover. It's not meant to save you forever, but it's meant to give you a fighting chance.

- Items. Items are tools, I hand them out with the intention that they be used. I strongly recommend not sitting on scrolls and potions. There's plenty of consumables in these adventures, so use them: they're like playing cards, no use if they're sitting in your hand.

The result should be a hard game but hopefully not an unfair game. I'm not perfect, and may make mistakes or misjudge something, but nevertheless these are the core principles I'm running the game around.