D&D: Keep On The Borderlands Sign Up

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

D&D: Keep On The Borderlands Sign Up

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 am

Welcome to the land of imagination. You are about to begin a journey into worlds where magic and monsters are the order of the day, where law and chaos are forever at odds, where adventure and heroism are the meat and drink of all who would seek their fortunes in common pursuits. This is the realm of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS AdventureGame- Gary Gygax

You are a band of fledgling adventurers, traveling north from the comforts of civilization to the edges of the wilds, the Borderlands. Along the river Shrill sits the KEEP. The keep has no name, and it's not clear if it ever did. Nevertheless, it is a bastion of law in the land of chaos, a point of light in the darkness. Whether you come here to earn a fortune, to battle monsters, or simply because you had no other choice is up to you. The game will begin with you small group traveling along that great river, almost at your destination...

What You Need To Know
There's going to be a lot of words. Not just here, but in my links. This is just all stuff that needs to be said, most of it I would hash out with a Session 0 but as we aren't have actual sessions, it gets frontloaded a bit.

What is this
ITT: We play a game called Labyrinth Lord, which is a retroclone of D&D Basic, using the forums as a base and discord for instant communication. I’m looking for 4-6 players, but if we get more than this I will create a list.

The pace will be fairly slow compared to a normal D&D game but I'd really really love if people could try to check in at least once a day. Obviously that won't always be possible as we are all busy people and I'm going to be terrible about this myself, but in order to keep things moving I reserve the right to move things along if more than two days have passed without a response to something. If you are MIA for a week without notifying me and we have a waiting list, I reserve the right to swap a new player in.

Why Labyrinth Lord?
It's simple and free. It's fully possible to play it without a map being needed constantly. That's important for forum play by post play.

What to Expect
A lot of dungeon crawling. A lot of exploring. Not a ton of story, unless it emerges organically from play- I don't have a preplanned narrative here. This will be a very player driven game, I won't be running a railroad here. Also expect difficulty. Old school gameplay is lethal. I'll be saying that again here, because it's important- if you intend to solve everything with brute force, you won't get very far. The solution to a situation is rarely on your character sheet. Above all: Expect Old School D&D.

Materials

The System
http://goblinoidgames.com/index.php/downloads/

Go there. Download the Labyrinth Lord book. If you've played modern D&D and the lack of classes are killing you, pick up the Advanced Edition Compendium and talk to me.

What To Read: Not the whole book. Don't do that to yourself. Read Section 2 on character creation. If you have never played D&D, read section 1 as well. Read Section 3 (Spells) if you plan to play a Cleric, Magic User, or Elf. When I say read, I mean skim. Get an idea of what your options are.

Character Sheet: I often use a site called Mythweavers, which has a D&D Basic sheet. Using notepad to just list out stuff then posting it on WWN in text is also a valid option, and I'll provide a template. Finally, actually printing out a character sheet, filling it out, and scanning it is not unheard of, if you have access to a scanner (or a really good camera, I guess).

Discord: Discord is a great place to reach me and ask me questions, as well as talk out of character. It also has a dice bot. Which is important, because rolling dice is important (make your dice rolls in the ELFGAMES channel). Because of this, Discord is a requirement. There’s a handy link on the forum index.

House Rules, Character Creation, and the Nitty Gritty

Actually, I created a google doc for creating a character and house rules here. This is really important, so please read it. It also spend some space explaining D&D and the particular quirks of Labyrinth Lord, at least some of them. I've tried to include everything I want to know as a player.

Forum Play

Because I've seen a lot of play by posts crash and burn because this stuff isn't clear.

There are two types of major interactions between player and DM that require a DM response to move the game forward:
Asking a Question of the DM. Self explanatory.
Making an action. To be clear, this is an action that a DM must resolve. Which are most of them that interacts with the environment, but you don’t need for me to approve your desire to sharpen your blade or anything else that isn’t interactive..

If your post is lengthy, please bold Questions you want answered and/or the major Action of your post. Treat it like a mafia vote.

Feel free to ask questions in Discord as well, I may be able to answer them quicker. Discord is the easiest way to get a hold of me, you can direct message or ask me in the ELFGAMES channel. If you think a question is essential for the entire group to know and see the answer to, then I would ask it in the topic.

Do not feel the need to make your posts long. Keep them short but clear for best results. A single paragraph is probably all you’ll need once we get into the meat of the game, or even a single sentence at times. Remember, a long post is a misunderstood post.

In Character vs Out of Character: Clarity is my biggest concern. If for some reason you get worried about this, I do not mind if you “break character”, and would prefer you do so in order to make questions, intentions, and actions explicit.. In addition, feel free to discuss your character’s actions with the group before acting, even in situations with time pressure, like combat. This is normal.

Timekeeping: I intend to make it clear with every post what dungeon turn or round of combat or day of the month it is. I am not usually so organized, but I believe it will help with being able to follow what is going on.

Player Communication: I will not be requiring the players to communicate with each other, plan strategies, or anything else. That's on you. I do recommend it, though, and as such have provided a discord channel for your use, in addition to the topic. I watched a pbp game fall apart because no one took the time to communicate with each other so only half the party engaged the enemies at any given time while the other ones ran away. Don't be that group.

Signing Up
Just roll up a character and post it in this topic (or a link to the mythweavers page, whatever works)

There is no rush, as if we have too many people sign ups will be determined randomly, rather than first come first served.

If you have any questions (you probably will), feel free to ask. I may not get back to you right away, but I'll get back to you eventually.

I will likely start this in a week or so. Maybe two.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Pkdragon

Re: D&D: Keep On The Borderlands Sign Up

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:21 am

Here is a blank character sheet that you can use, copy it to word or notepad or google docs. Feel free to modify it and mangle it how you wish.
Hidden Text
Name:
Hp:
Injury Count: 0/6
Lvl:
Experience Points: ____/____

Race/Class:
Alignment:
Languages:

Str: __ (+_)
Dex: __ (+_)
Con: __ (+_)
Int: __ (+_)
Wis: __ (+_)
Cha: __ (+_)

Armor Class:
Saving Throws:
__ vs Breath
__ vs Poison/Death
__ vs Petrify/Paralyze
__ vs Wands
__ vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
Gold:
Treasure Found:

Background:
Appearance:
Motivation:
Party Connections:
Q&A From the Discord:

Bonesy
id better hurry and make my char but i don't want to do a cleric lol
Pkdragon
Don't feel like you need to be any specific class tbqh. I think the starting scenario won't break even if the party turns out to be a bunch of fighters and thieves
Bonesy
ok
Pkdragon
Magic is just a single spell at level 1

DemonKingu
if this is anything like D&D, I should probably drop the 15 on con no matter what class
Pkdragon
I'm going to weigh in on ability scores because I don't believe in character creation being a trap:
CON is probably the safest option, but DEX is almost as safe. Unlike in modern editions, CHA is probably the strongest stat, but only if you know how to use it.
WIS saves lives, STR kills enemies before they can kill you
but I'll admit CON and DEX are more directly applicable than WIS in a lot of cases. But when WIS comes up you'll love it.
INT is the weakest stat in this game.
there's no way around it especially since I got rid of bonus XP. However. Being able to communicate with your enemies allows the possibility of negotiation, which can save lives more efficiently than CON or DEX
so even though I say it's the weakest I still wouldn't call it a dump stat.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Name: Hanzo
Hp: 4
Lvl: 1
Experience Points: 0/1251

Race/Class: Thief
Alignment: Chaotic
Languages: Common, Chaos

Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 16 (+2)
Con: 14 (+1)
Int: 11 (+0)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 10 (+0)

Armor Class: 8 (Leather)
Saving Throws:
16 vs Breath
14 vs Poison/Death
13 vs Petrify/Paralyze
15 vs Wands
14 vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
Leather Armor (6gp)
Longbow (40gp)
Quiver and Arrows (5gp)
Sword, short (7gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Waterskin/Wineskin (1gp)
Thieves' tools (30gp)
Sack, small (1sp)
Pole, 10-foot wooden (2 sp)
Torches (8) (3 sp)
Flint and steel (2gp)
One weeks’ trail rations (3.5gp)

Gold: 34gp 8sp

Treasure Found: None yet

Background: A scion of a wealthy criminal family who has fallen out of favour of his clan's elders and been banished, and is now wandering the world seeking to restore his honour through his actions.

Appearance: Middle-aged man with an eastern appearance. Trimmed beard and dark hair tied to a knot behind his head. Some greying can be seen on the sides of his head. His left arm is adorned by a tattoo of a dragon, which he displays prominently.

Motivation: He wants to redeem himself and restore his place as the rightful leader of his clan and lord of his ancestral castle. How exactly he plans to do this is unclear, but it will probably involve adventure and derring-do in the service of a party of treasure hunters and he is very determined to prove his worth.

Party Connections: Sakura - went to this land by the same boat
Last edited by Narts on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:01 am

Name: Rowan
Hp: 8
Experience Points: 0/2035

Race/Class: Fighter
Alignment: Neutral
Languages: Common, Neutral

Str: 16 (+2)
Dex: 10 (+0)
Con: 10 (+0)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 9 (+0)
Cha: 12 (+0)

Attack: 1d6 + 2
Ranged attack: 1d4

Armor Class: 5 (scale with shield)

Saving Throws:
15 vs Breath
12 vs Poison/Death
14 vs Petrify/Paralyze
13 vs Wands
16 vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
Helmet (10gp)
Scale mail (50gp)
Shield (10gp)
Handaxe(1gp)
Sling (2gp)
Bullets (nil)
Backpack (2gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Winter blanket (5sp)
Waterskin (1gp)
10 candles (10cp)
Flint and steel (2gp)
8 Torches (3sp)
Crowbar (2gp)
Shovel (2gp)

Gold: 1gp, 5sp, 90cp

Treasure Found: None yet.

Background: Rowan has wandered around for years as a guard, mercenary, and occasional assassin, doing whatever work is offered to a man with a strong arm and few scruples.

Appearance: Tall and lean with flowing black hair and beard, a blunt, broad face, and skin tanned by a lifetime spent outdoors. His armour is scuffed and dented but always kept clean. A golden clasp in the shape of a heron is the only adornment in his otherwise nondescript clothing.

Motivation: Years of guarding, guiding, and sometimes robbing the wealthy have given Rowan a taste for the finer things in life: food, art, beautiful men and women - and above all, drink. He’s tired of working small jobs for men with smaller ambitions: he wants to wander the world and find the most extravagant entertainments he can, and make a pile of coin to fund them while he’s at it.

Party Connections: TBD

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 am

Name: Acame
Hp: 4
Experience Points: 0/4065

Race/Class: Elf
Alignment: Neutral
Languages: Common, Neutral, Elvish, Gnoll, (Hob)goblin, Orc

Racial ability: Infravision 60 ft, Detect Hidden and secret doors (roll 1-2 on 1d6), unaffected by Ghoul paralysis

Str: 11 (+0)
Dex: 11 (+0)
Con: 11 (+0)
Int: 11 (+0)
Wis: 9 (+0)
Cha: 15 (+1)

Attack: 1d8
Ranged attack: 1d8

Spell Book:
Lv 1:
Magic Missile: 1T, 150', 1d6+1 dmg
Charm Person: Spec, 120', Jedi mind trick

Lv 2:
ESP: 12T, 60', 1 turn delay per creature in range, perceive thoughts of all creatures in range

Armor Class: 5
Saving Throws:
15 vs Breath
12 vs Poison/Death
13 vs Petrify/Paralyze
13 vs Wands
15 vs Spells/Spell-like Devices

Equipment:
Longbow (40gp)
Quiver and arrows (5gp)
Longsword (10gp)
Chain mail (70gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Winter blanket (5sp)
Waterskin/Wineskin (1gp)
10 candles (10cp)
Flint and steel (2gp)
8 Torches (3sp)
Wine (2 pints) (1gp)
Case, map or scroll (1gp)

Gold: 13gp, 5sp

Treasure Found: None yet.

Background: Born into wealthy Elven nobility, but lost his inheritance due to a gambling problem. Acame is charming but self-absorbed and believes he can talk his way out of any sticky situation. Like many of his kind, he is enamoured by poetry and (bardish) music.

Appearance: Acame's lanky Elvish build is often mistaken as weak by the lesser educated. Like all of his family, he has very pale skin and long blue hair. Dresses elegantly.

Motivation: Acame's gambling addiction made him dirt poor. Its consequences lost him much of his dignity. Now he's adamant to regain enough wealth and power to challenge his family and thus regain his status. As long as he can keep his hands away from the dice...

Party Connections: TBD

Code: Select all

Experience Level Hit Dice (1d6)
       0     1      1
   4,065     2      2
   8,125     3      3
  16,251     4      4
  32,501     5      5
  65,001     6      6
 130,001     7      7
 200,001     8      8
 400,001     9      9
 600,001    10     +2 hp only *
*Hit point modifiers from constitution are ignored
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 am

Name: Valerie
Hp: 3
Experience Points: 0/1565

Race/Class: Cleric
Alignment: Lawful
Languages: Common and Lawful

Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 9 (+0)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 14 (+1)
Cha: 11 (+0)

Attack: 1d6

Armor Class: 3
Saving Throws:
16 vs Breath
11 vs Poison/Death
14 vs Petrify/Paralyze
12 vs Wands

Equipment:
Splint Mail (75gp)
Shield (10gp)
Mace (5gp)
Helmet (10gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Case, map or scroll (1gp)
Ink (8gp)
Quill pen (1sp)

Gold: 44g 4sp
Treasure Found: Flippin' nothing!!

Background: Valerie's home village was devastated by a plague. As a result, she has dedicated herself to medical advancement! She travels around trying to learn as much as she can about the world, but can get a little lost in the weeds.

Appearance: Bright golden hair kept in a short bob to fit properly in her helmet. Average height and fit build kept inside her black and red splint mail. Shield lacks decoration and is quite scratched up.

Motivation: Valerie wants to save the world by curing all diseases and ailments, including death itself! Surely, some combination of cleric magic and necromancy can achieve this goal...

Party Connections: Acame and Valerie met in a tavern and hit it off. He heard about someone needing rescue, and that's all she needed to hear to give a hand! Not wanting to be overwhelmed, they hired Rowan as some extra muscle.
Last edited by scraggypunk on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:21 am

Name: Hoshimoto Sakura (This is a Japanese name, Hoshimoto is the family name, in case that wasn't obvious.)
HP: 5
Experience Points: 0000/1565

Race/Class: Cleric
Alignment: Neutrality
Languages: Common, Neutral

Str: 11 (+0)
Dex: 12 (+0)
Int: 12 (+0)
Wis: 13 (+1)
Cha: 7 (-1)

Attack: 1d6
Ranged attack: 1d4

Armor Class: 3
Saving Throws:
16 vs Breath
11 vs Poison/Death
14 vs Petrify/Paralyze
12 vs Wands

Equipment:
Banded Mail (85 gp)
Helmet (10 gp)
Shield (10 gp)
Mace (5 gp)
Sling (2 gp)
----
Bedroll (1 sp)
Blanket, winter (5 sp)
Flint and steel (2 gp)
Holy symbol (1gp)
Unpreserved rations, 2 days (4sp)
Trail rations, 2 days (10sp =1gp)
Large sack (2 sp)
Vial (1 gp)
Waterskin, x2 (2 gp)
16 torches (6sp)

Gold: 10gp, 2sp
Treasure Found: N/A

Background: Sakura lived originally as a noble of a foreign province, but it was annexed one year ago. She was drafted to serve as a medic, but on her first day, her dorm was wiped out by a fellow recruit who refused to let the conquerors simply help themselves. Sakura didn't die from her wounds, but after seeing all her friends dead, it's safe to say that at least a part of her died that day. Traumatized by the murders, Sakura has been seeking out the killer ever since.

Appearance: Shoulder-length salmon-colored hair, wears a white tunic with red and gold trimmings. The sleeves are torn off but were loosely sewed with red tissue. Her clothes look like those of nobility, albeit torn and sewed back up.

Motivation: Sakura adventures to get stronger so she can get back at the person who mentally scarred her, and find inner peace in the moments of adventuring so the more grim parts of herself don't eat her up.

Party Connections: Hanzo — went to this land by the same boat
Last edited by Airnike on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm going to be moving forward this weekend, for the sake of keeping up momentum. If you haven't signed up by then, you can still be a backup player.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:27 am

As promised, moving on. If you did not make a character, don't worry, you will be added as a backup player to be added when convenient. I only have 5 players right now, so I can handle 1 more player joining at a later date without losing any current players. (Possibly more if this goes really well, but for now I'm still capping the number at 6).

The current starting party, then, is:

1) Hanzo, the Thief (Narts)
2) Rowan, the Fighter (Terr)
3) Acame, the Elf (HPD)
4) Valerie, a Cleric (Scraggy)
5) Sakura, a Cleric (Airnike)

(Clerics, if you wish to come up with a God to worship to differentiate yourself, feel free to do so)

So, the last step is to determine party connections. I'd like everyone to take a look at this document of party connections if you have not yet, and choose another player (either randomly, with a d4 dice or random.org, or because you feel a connection with another character). Then roll for a connection, contact that person, and flesh things out. Time zones could be an issue, so don't feel you need to go into TOO much depth.

You may of course also pick a connection you like, or create your own idea. The list is to be used as an idea seed, not a requirement. The random generation makes it simpler when working with two players across varied time zones, though.

I will be starting things tomorrow provided nothing unexpected happens. Due to the slow nature of the game I expect it will be fine if party connections aren't fully fleshed out by the start of the game, try to get them done by a week?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 am

So DC posted that she still has interest but it was a busy week for her, so this is what I said in the discord:

"hmmm... I feel like giving DC a little itsy bitsy more time, and tomorrow is Payroll for me so
I'm going to start this on Tuesday
I hate delaying it further because everyone was so good about getting their stuff done early
but I think that's the best way to handle it"

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I will probably sign up as a backup later; I am totally swamped for the next 2-3 weeks, this is why I did not sign up.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh