Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:09 am

"Ach, should have asked the guards about our missing woman while I was at it. I might head back out and try at that before we head for the tavern, they're probably more likely to know about it than most."

Rowan is indifferent when it comes to Kugel.

"If you want to bring the old man along while then I don't mind. He probably knows the lay of the land, and if he tries to play us outside the walls, well." Rowan shrugs and thumbs the edge of his axe. "He won't be able to run very far. The map's probably useless, though."

"A morning departure seems the smarter choice in any case. If the roads are unsafe then they'd be doubly so at night."

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:44 am

"True. Bandits, ruffians and other ne'er-do-wells reject Surya's light and prefer Camda's night. Though they rarely are the religious type, sadly. Never want to talk theology, just money money money. Bah! Camda gets a bad rep because of them, it's quite unfair! But, I'm getting sidetracked. A local bandit problem is a more likely result of kidnapping then some... doom shrine, maybe it's all just a cover story so nobody will go storming their base! Make the soldiers here think twice about routing them. Ah, life is so complicated."

Valerie gets up. "I'll head on over to the temple to see what's what, and hopefully get my meeting with the guard captain resolved. Looking forward to tonight! All huddled together under one room, how fun. Certainly better than my usual life of finding a tree to sleep under." She leaves the room and heads back out of the inn.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:27 am

Okay before the entire party gets scattered again, here's something of a summary of the meeting and a proposal for a shopping list of actions.

1. Acame goes and... wait what? Valerie already stormed off? Fine.

1. Valerie goes to the temple and talks to the priestfolk there. She could at least ask about the following:
-The Evil Chaos Shrine
-The missing woman
-The ruins of the monastery
-Ask for blessings against the undead?

Meanwhile, Rowan can go talk to the guards and ask them what they know about the woman.

Meanwhile, Acame tries to talk the adventurers into joining us. If he likes to, he can also ask the bear about retrieving the honey.

2. After Acame is done talking, the party at the inn will then move to the tavern. We'll ask the bartender about the woman and any other rumours he may have heard. We'll also keep an eye on anyone entering the place and talk to anyone who looks interesting. We can spend quite some time here. I expect Valerie and Rowan to be done with their excursions within an hour and join us at the tavern. If Acame feels so inclined he can go and recruit Kugel as a guide. Even though Hanzo doesn't like the idea he's not going to fight the elf over it. No one else seemed to have objections.

3. Before the night gets too long, let's say, at 10p.m., we'll return to the inn and go to sleep. Let's drink responsibly. We're planning to leave early in the morning.

4. At dawnbreak, we'll leave the town and set off on the road towards the east and the Caves of Chaos - unless something we learn today makes us change our plan.

Feel free to add anything to this, or voice your objections if you don't like something about the plan. Once everyone agrees on it, we can hand the shopping list to pk and ideally he could just railroad us through it and tell us what happens as a result. Only stop when there's something we need to react to.

Ok?

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:45 am

I'm for it!
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:33 am

Yeah as long as the party specifically wants to zero in on something and handle it in detail, I'll be zooming through most of those, only stopping on the important stuff. Consider it less a railroad and more a

So I'll wait for everyone to have a chance to look Nart's list over and offer their own opinions, and then I will start processing it in detail.

However, in the meantime...

@Valerie:
As you leave the room, you nearly bump into an inn worker, who informs you that there is a guardsman waiting downstairs, who was asking for a "Valerie, Cleric of Surya".

Assuming you head downstairs to talk to him as was your plan, you see the Captain Borkish sitting at a table. He is speaking to the bear, who is still sitting on the floor, still holding his polearm, but now appears to be awake.

"So how do you like the Keep, Murgen?", Borkish asks.

The bear replies with impeccable Common, "It is fine, though the roofs are low and the doorways thin, like most human-dwellings. There is an organization here that I can respect, and it does credit to your Warrior-Clans. I find myself pining for the Dunes at times, but the occasional homesickness is a simple fact of the Journey- ah, is that the one you were waiting on, Captain?"

the bear almost certainly has a british accent.

"Ah yes. Sorry about the delay, Valerie. Had to report to the Commander before finishing up my shift. So, you wanted to speak with me?"
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:43 pm

"Yes, thank you for meeting me Capt- awwww!!" Valerie runs over to Murgen. "You are too cute! Too cute for words. Wonderful. Oh, I simply must draw you in my sketchbook, take some notes, do an interviewwrrrr uh" She looks at Borkish. "Um, nevermind. Keep up the great work of being you! "

"Ahem. Sorry. Captain! I had a wonderful idea that I wanted to run by you. My compatriots and I are going to the Caves of Chaos to try to resolve the nasty business going on out there. Bandits, nasty creatures, evil architecture, the works. You had mentioned to us earlier that you and your talented soldiers would have solved these issues yourselves, but don't have the manpower to properly garrison the Keep AND do these things. But! Now we're here! Quite the sturdy lot if I say so myself. Although not as sturdy as you, my fluffy friend!" She winks at Murgen, then wraps her arm around Borkish's shoulder.

"So, I was thinking... why don't we team up? Let us borrow some of your soldiers, some horses, maybe a cart, you know, really make a proper show of force! You could even set up an outpost or guard tower or something, really make a nice secure area to spot any nasty business coming your way, or maybe even flank any future armies foolish enough to lay siege to your Keep! People will travel far more knowing the roads are safe! It's a dream come true, Captain!"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Acame has no objections to Hanzo's plan. He agrees with Rowan that Kugel probably won't get far if he tries anything funny, but he didn't seem all that dangerous to him in the first place.

Waving the others off, he heads downstairs again to try to find the adventurers.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 am

@Acame:
The adventurers are packing up to leave as you enter the common room. How do you approach them?

@Valerie:
"Mmm... What you describe makes a lot of sense, but here's the problem- the caves are in a ravine. There's just not a lot of room to move. We tried to send a large force in there about a year or so ago, but our effectiveness was greatly reduced by the terrain. A smaller group is best. That said, I can talk to the Commander about getting you some reinforcements, if you're able to make some progress. In the meantime, I do know Murgen is looking for work."

The bear clears his throat and formally nods his head. "Yes. I am Murgen, one of the Nurian Soldier-Bears, a follower of Medved the Master of the Glittering Tower, and I am on the Journey. I have traveled far from the Slumbering Ursine Dunes, and further still I have to travel. I am always interested in sharing the Journey with strong warriors of the human-peoples."

You've never heard of any of these places or people, but the Borderlands are distant and mostly unknown to those that live in the South.

i swear i'm just laying groundwork for the greater sandbox should the group someday decide to leave the Keep behind.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:46 am

If You Hire Murgen
Between Murgen's good nature and being engaged in actively searching for a party to join, as well as Captain Borkish's recommendation, there won't be a reaction roll needed to hire him. Murgen will insist on at least a hireling's share of the gold.

Murgen
HP: 6 AC: 7 Morale: 8
Polearm: +1, 1d10 + 1

Soldier Bears have high HP and high damage potential, but have notably low AC at low levels. Bears don't really dodge attacks.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:54 am

"Ah... a pity. A ravine, eh? How scary. Well, I would appreciate any soldiers you would be willing to send. If you have any spare horses, we'd appreciate that as well! My chums and I are planning on leaving in the morning, so if you could let us know the Commander's decision by then that would be super."

Valerie claps her hands and looks at Murgen, smiling. "Simply fascinating. I love everything you just said! I didn't understand a word of it! You have so much to teach me! Surya prasansa, I am truly blessed. You simply MUST join me on my quest to heal the world of hardship! It's been decided!" She eagerly clasps onto his arm. "Join me, I'm going to the temple to pay my respects and meet the locals."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Noticing the two adventurers getting up from their seats, Acame hastily makes his way towards them.
"Greetings! I can't help but notice that you seem to both be adventurers. Could I have a moment of your time?"
Without waiting for an answer, Acame invites them to sit down again, takes a seat himself, and continues his story. He leans forward as if trying not to be overheard. <OOC: let's keep this going or it'll take forever>

"You see, we've arrived in this town today, acting on a rumour that there's supposedly a woman held hostage in the Caverns of Chaos. We've been trying to find out whether there's any truth to this claim, but so far nobody has given us a definitive answer. You two look like you're not from around here. That's why I'm wondering whether you've picked up something about that here or elsewhere? Because I personally find it very strange that even the guard here claims to have no knowledge of this matter, even though this rumour has been spread far and wide beyond the Borderlands. So that's why I must ask you, as fellow adventurers. Maybe you're even acting on the same rumours as we are?"
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Sakura sighed. It seemed she was alone with Hanzo: "Um, you... didn't tell me what I was supposed to do in all this..."

She waited a bit before realizing the tavern was not a place for her to hang by. "I guess I'll just stay here and see if I hear anything while you're gone?"

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:06 am

@Acame:

Hector the Thief (or almost certainly one, at least) mulls this over:
"Hmmm... We've heard that there was a merchant who disappeared from a recent caravan recently. Perhaps that's the damsel your source was talking about? Though, as one adventurer to another, here's a piece of advice: sometimes rumors get distorted. People talk, and the details change the further you go from the source. That doesn't mean that there isn't some truth to the rumor- there's almost always a seed of truth. The worst part is, people come and go from the keep all the time, so it's damned near impossible to find any given rumor's source. But that's part of the whole business."

- Assuming you try to hire the adventurers as described in THE LIST:
[See chat for Hector and Elaine's reaction rolls]

Hector the Thief is sold on the endeavor, especially if there really is a woman within the Caves of Chaos - or even if there's a merchant. He explains that he does not like to stand in the front lines, he prefers to fire an opening shot with his crossbow before engaging in melee after the rest of the group. He is willing to perform basic thief duties so long as they do not seem incredibly suicidal.

Elaine on the other hand is not interested in the Caves of Chaos, the danger outweighing the gain.

The duo head over to the tavern, for by this point it is getting closer to evening.

---

Hector
HP: 3 AC: 8 (Leather) Morale: 8
Short Sword: +1, 1d6 + 1
Crossbow: +0, 1d6

Hector is a very average Thief, though he has above average strength for when he does close into melee.

(I will continue to process THE LIST throughout the day)

EDIT: Also Murgen is officially hired by Valerie!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:23 am

Hanzo, who has followed the rest of the group downstairs, lectures the new recruit.

"It is good that you realise your limits as a warrior. Knowing yourself is the beginning to knowing how to defeat your enemy!"

"However, know that it is the duty of the archers to stand in the front row in the beginning of an engagement - and only move to the backline to give way for the sturdier combatants when the enemy approaches melee range."

"This will maximise our range," Hanzo explains.

He gives another look of disdain to Hector's crossbow.

"Once we get back from the Caves, I may instruct you in how to shoot a real archer's weapon." He grasps his longbow with a look of pride.

He walks over to Murgen and looks at him approvingly. "The primal strength of the mighty bear folk will come to good use on our journey, I'm sure!"

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:34 am

The Church:
Valerie heads to the church. It is a modest building with a peaked room two stories tall- the interior is a single room, with a magnificent stained glass window above the altar. There is an offerings box atop a pedestal in the eastern corner, locked.

The Curate of the Church, Father Keston greets you. He is accompanied by three acolytes of the church. All of them wear robes instead of battle armor, being actual church clerics and not battle clerics, though Father Keston does carry a staff, though more as a walking stick than a weapon. He is serene and welcoming, and is happy to see a member of his church.

-The Evil Chaos Shrine: He nods, confirming it's existence. The Shrine of Evil Chaos is located deeper in the ravine, he notes, though he is not sure of it's exact position. For a moment it seems he wishes to say something else, but then chooses not to.
-The Missing Woman: He actually had heard something along those lines from a group of adventurers passing through, but it was several months ago, and he hadn't been able to find out any more information beyond that.
-The Ruins of the Monastery: The Curate actually knows a fair bit about the historical elements of the monastery - it used to be an outpost of monks of Boccob, a god of magic and knowledge. He knows very little about the monastery's current status, but he would be grateful if, when you are not occupied by rescuing people in the Caves of Chaos, would bring him information on the monastery.
- Blessings against the undead: The Curate gives a general prayer for your safety, but suspecting that Valerie could use something more concrete than that, he goes into his cellar, and returns with a scroll, upon which two spells are written: Protection Against Evil and Bless. Naturally, he gives these to Valerie.

Note: Only clerics can use this scroll. You can cast each spell on it once before the scroll is used up.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:51 am

Rowan talking to the guards:
Bringing up the issue of the mysterious woman with the guards, you finally get a clear response: a merchant and his wife went missing on the road about a week ago. They didn't know the Caves of Chaos were involved, but it seems very possible. He suggests if you do rescue them, to speak with the Guild House for a reward. The guards do seem surprised that word has spread so quickly, as the keep only became aware of the missing merchant a few days go.

Ok, the rest of the checklist will be posted this evening, most likely.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:56 pm

The tavern:
The tavern gets significantly busier around 5:00. When you arrive, Kugel is still there, though at this point he is sitting at a table with the group of rough men. When he sees Acame enter, he heads over to the elf with delight.

"Nice people, those mercenaries, but rather sore losers at games of chance. So, have you had a chance to discuss our prior business?"

It sounded as if the group wished to hire Kugel. If so, he agrees to meet the group at dawn.

Most of the people in the tavern appear to be either mercenaries, laborers, off duty guardsmen, and the like. Very few traditional "adventurers" beyond the ones you've already met. The only truly unusual person is a man that looks something like a masked warrior monk, though he is carrying a large two handed blade on his back. He shows in for a short amount of time, but does not say anything, nor does he drink anything. Casual conversation leads to silence on the monk's end.

Image
Something like this.

The Bartender: He doesn't know anything about the woman, but he does have a piece of advice for you: There is a man, locally referred to as the "Mad Hermit of the North". It is recommended that one simply avoids the hermit, for he is known for bouts of violent madness.

---

You retire early, and return to your inn room, hopefully without drinking too much.

We'll leave town tomorrow I think. If you have any questions on anything I posted, let me know. I won't be able to post Tuesday through Thursday, but next weekend I will try to get the Caves of Chaos sequence begun.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:55 am

Hanzo, upon hearing from Rowan about the merchant and his wife:

"Ah, if there's a reward involved, that settles it then. And we've heard from enough sources about these missing ones, that the story is probably real."

He seems to definitely agree now that going to the Caves of Chaos is the best idea.

"I wonder if the Trader has interacted with the caravan. We might have time to ask him about it before we leave."

User avatar
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Master of Fiction

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Guest posting: this is more entertaining than the old WWN roleplaying. I appreciate the guidance and directing of PK.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:55 am

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Linkman!

As I noted in the discord, nothing has been happening this week because of a combination of not being particularly well and general business at work. Assuming I actually recover, it'll hopefully pick up again this weekend.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:49 am

Day 2, Sunrise
10th Day of Sunhearth, Summer

It is possible to see the Trader before leaving. He informs you that he had heard something about the missing merchant from the Guild, Bernart Rovenac. You don't learn any new information beyond the merchant's name, however.

Your group assembles at the gate. Murgen, Hector, and Kugel are all there, waiting. Captain Borkish is also there, eyeing Kugel with slight suspicion as the group shows up. Kugel, for his part The soldier who showed you to the inn is also present.

"I spoke with the Commander, Valerie. He is interested, but we need to know you're worth the resources, to put it bluntly. Most groups of warriors that come through here, they're unreliable, to say the least. You seem better than average, but we're not in the habit of relying on initial impressions. Take Picker with you," he says, motioning towards the soldier next to him. "She will report on what happens in the Caves, and we will move forward from there."

Picker nods, and gives the party her usual blank stare. "I am to accompany you to the caves, and set up a perimeter to help cover your retreat. I do not plan on actually entering the caves, just so we are clear. At least, unless you are willing to give me a share of the rewards."

Borkish awkwardly clears his throat. "Besides that, the Commander also okayed a small requisition of Potions of Healing," he says, drawing three of the potions from his gear and handing them to Valerie. "Use them wisely, as they are not an unlimited resource here at the keep."

Potions of Healing: Cures 1d6+1 HP, and cures Paralysis. I gave them to Valerie because she's been the primary point of contact with Borkish, but really these should probably be passed out among the group.

The drawbridge lowers, and the road to the Caves of Chaos awaits!

I will cover the journey to the Caves tomorrow, which will officially kick things off. As always, reactions are perfectly welcome.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:49 am

"As we will be traveling on dangerous roads, we should decide on a marching order."

"I propose the following:"

Code: Select all

|           |
|1         2|
|           |
|           |
|           |
|           |
|           |    | = sides of the road
|           |
|     3     |    1 = Hanzo
|           |    2 = Hector
|   4 5 6   |    3 = Acame
|           |    4 = Valerie
|     7     |    5 = Kugel
|           |    6 = Picker
|     8     |    7 = Sakura
|           |    8 = Murgen
|     9     |    9 = Rowan
|           |
|           |

"I and Hector will take the point as scouts, at each side of the road. We will travel some way ahead of the main group, but close enough that we can clearly see, and be seen, by the rest who follow. We will keep our eyes out for anything that looks suspicious, and signal the group if we see danger."

Hanzo whispers discreetly to Valerie and Picker. "Keep an eye on that Kugel character. I do not trust him. Do not let him try anything."

"Murgen and Rowan will be our rear guard."

"Is this decided?"

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 pm

"Ah, well, I understand, Captain. I look forward to proving our worth! Thank you very much for the potions, I'm sure they'll come in handy." Valerie puts one in her backpack, then tosses the other two to Rowan. "Need ya alive, tough stuff."

Next, she shakes Picker's hand. "Nice to meet you, Picker! This is going to be the start of a wonderful working relationship, I can feel it. I look forward to your thorough and detailed reporting."

Valerie nods at Hanzo's whisper. "A sensible formation, Hanzo! I'm on board." She walks over to Kugel and shakes his hand. "Seems like we'll be traveling companions! Acame tells me you're a guide of some sort? Very interesting, very interesting. Tell me about the area! Let's walk and talk, come come."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Rowan nods at Hanzo's suggestion. "Probably best to put me up front once we arrive, mind - but if anything nips at our heels, I'll make sure you all hear about it."

He thanks Valerie for the potions, though feels left a little off balance by her rapid-fire approach. "I'll make them last, at any rate."

Before settling in for the march, Rowan makes a point of talking with Murgen about fighting formations. "I'm sure you swing hard with that stick, but your hide's not made of iron. Do your best to stay behind me when we're in the thick of it - and don't bother fighting fair. If you see something hurt, put out it of its misery, sharp. No sense in giving them a chance to take another swing at us."

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Hanzo, listening in on Rowan's and Murgen's conversation, nods. "Very sensible. There is no place for compassion in battle."

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:35 am

Sakura listens to Hanzo's suggestions without a word. Slightly unsure about being at Kugel's back, silently obeys, though she keeps an eye on him the entire time. At least, if a thing happens, the big guys at the back will see it..., she thinks to reassure herself.

After a second of wondering, she silently nods to Hanzo's advice. No place for thinking of only herself after all.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:09 am

"Nice to meet you, Valerie. Again." Picker almost seems to slightly smile at this.

"Yes, I will keep an eye on him," Picker whispers back to Hanzo. It does not seem Kugel picks up on either whisper, being completely self-absorbed.

"Absolutely, I agree completely with the wise Hanzo's suggestion! It is best for the guide to be in the center of the formation!" Kugel proclaims. He seems genuinely pleased at this turn of events. Hector seems less pleased about being in the front, but does not argue the point.

Murgen also indicates agreement to Rowan's suggestion. In other words, everyone is more or less on the same page.

The Journey Begins
Kugel leads you along the road to the east. He is less talkative than normal, intently focused on performing his guide duties- a little odd. The road east gives way to forest in the north, and to the south is marshland.

About thirty minutes into the journey, as you pass out of sight of the Keep, Hanzo hears the cracking of a branch in the trees to the north, and you are just barely able to catch sight of what looks like a middle aged man in leather armor, approximately 200 ft to the north, behind the party (so, to the northeast). He seemed to be watching you, though you only catch sight of him for a moment before he ducks into the cover of the forest. No one else in the party seems to have noticed this.

EDIT: WEST IS EAST NOW
Last edited by Pkdragon on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:46 am

Hanzo doesn't hesitate. Immediately upon seeing the man, he gestures at Hector to follow and RUNS into the forest after the man.

While he's running he takes his bow off his shoulder and nocks an arrow, readying himself for a fight. He tends to trust his bow more than his blade.

He didn't discuss with the rest of the party how to handle a situation like this but he hopes they will do what they see best.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 am

Okay, so that happened. Hanzo just runs off into the forest, drawing his bow. Hector will follow unless told otherwise.

Everyone else: You have like, six seconds to tell me what you do. Is how I'd handle this if I were GMing in real life. I'll try to make another post this afternoon, so those who are here please tell me how you immediately react (and those who aren't may play catch up to a degree).

Essentially, you have an opportunity to take a round or two's worth of action as Hanzo starts running (since it's about two rounds to get to where the man was).
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:11 am

Seeing Hanzo instantly break formation, Sakura did the same, breaking off and running as fast as she could to follow him.

That whole situation looked way too much like a trap to her to do anything but attempt to be there if they got hurt.

Nothing was worth even noticing: that was a potential danger and she was on full alert for anything funny that could happen in the general direction.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 am

"Whawahey??? What? What? Excuse me! Use your words, scouts!"

Valerie grabs Kugel in one arm and braces her shield in the direction they ran off. "Stay behind me."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 am

"Ah, yes, good idea, Val, I will stay behind you," Kugel says, and attempts to make himself small.

Hector follows Hanzo. Murgen seems on the verge of charging after the two Thieves, but pauses to check what Rowan and Acame are doing.

Picker draws a bow, and aims it towards the trees. She clearly does not intend to follow without knowing what's going on, but she's willing to provide covering fire.

---

Hanzo, you run towards the man. There is a rustling in the edge of the treeline and the man steps backwards in surprise- he seems to have been taken off guard by your sudden action, and you have closed the distance significantly - he is in MEDIUM range for a longbow user (so no bonuses or penalties). He does, however, get enough time to yell "HEY! WE'VE GOT TROUBLE!". Seeing him closer, you can see that he is carrying a spear and shield. He is only visible to Hanzo, Hector, and Sakura, however everyone else can hear his voice.

He actually passed a surprise check, which is why he got enough time to yell- he was not, however, expecting you to charge him in any case, so he was otherwise unprepared.

---

Everyone:
This would be the point where initiative needs to be rolled. It's worth noting that combat is not guaranteed at this juncture, but there is a question of timing. As explained in the house rules, we're using incredibly simple initiative- both sides roll a 1d6, higher goes first, ties go to the players. So if someone could roll a 1d6 in the discord...

(Rowan and Acame can choose whether they followed or stayed with Valerie, Kugel, and Picker when they get a chance)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:17 am

When the man notices him, Hanzo stops running, and assumes a combat stance. He keeps his bow ready, but does not directly aim at the man. Instead, he speaks.

"There is nowhere to hide! I have seen you! Who are you and why are you following us!" His tone is stern and humorless.

Even if the man, whom Hanzo suspects to be a BLOOD THIRSTY BANDIT, will not engage in peaceful dialogue, Hanzo figures he can at least buy time to let his comrades organise a defence.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 am

Round 1: Random Forest Guy's Turn

The man also assumes a combat stance- more of a defensive stance, really, and moves forward into a position about 40ft away from Hanzo. Of course that also means he's within melee range of Hanzo, Sakura, and Hector, and is within CLOSE missile range of both of the archers.

"Oy, are you crazy?! Running at someone out of the blue with your bow, accusing 'im of following you. A wee bit paranoid, arencha? Me and my buddies are boar hunters, and I was int'rested in seeing who else was out and about on the roads this early in the mornin', that's all!" For what it's worth, the man seems more offended than murderous.

Further into the treeline, three other men come running. They're approximately 80 ft away. Two of them have spears and shield, and the third has a bow.

Overworld encounters are the only ones where large distances are likely to be in play. So here's an amazingly hiqh quality ms paint visual aide- I'm not going to do these all the time, but when it seems helpful...:

Image


Round 1: The Player's Turn

None of the men have explicitly done anything harmful. Everyone may take one round's worth of actions- this usually means either 40ft of movement + an attack, a spell, or simply continue discussion. Everyone may take their action in whatever order they wish, there is no turn order.

Acame and Rowan may decide whether they followed Hanzo in addition to what they do during this round. I will be waiting until tomorrow to process what happens.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:33 am

On seeing Hanzo's dash, Rowan mutters a curse under his breath and powers after the archers. As he moves, he shouts to Murgen "Stay here with the rest, it might be a diversion!"

Upon catching up, Rowan halts and keeps close by his allies. Once the man is done talking, Rowan chooses, to take him at his word - but readies his shield and keeps his hand close by his axe.

"Fair enough, friend. Any luck today?"

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 am

Hanzo holds his right hand up for his comrades, indicating them to stop their advance.

He examines the outfits and equipment of the four men, and if there's nothing that looks suspicious about them, he's willing to construe them as mere hunters. He also looks around for signs of more men hiding in ambush.

Assuming they don't do anything threatening, he relaxes and shoulders his bow, returning the arrow to his quiver, bows slightly and apologizes.

"Hrm. I apologize if I disturbed your business. I have heard this road is infested with bandits, and no precaution is too severe to secure the safe travel of our expedition. I have to check every face lurking at the side of the road to make sure they are not someone planning a nefarious ambush!"
Last edited by Narts on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:00 am

"Ugh, Surya enlighten me. Fine! Doesn't seem like we're about to be charged down or something. Acame, Picker, Kugel, Murgen. C'mon, there's no use in separating from each other, let's go find out what the big deal is."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:51 am

Sakura quickly catches up to Hanzo. "What's happening? Why did we just go confront these persons?", she calls out to him.

Her body is saying the opposite of her words, though: she's looking far more tense than anyone else — considering she broke formation on the way, it was best to be wary. Especially if a nefarious ambush was in the plans of those people.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:32 am

Hanzo does not see any other men waiting in ambush. Mugen, Picker, and a reluctant Kugel follow Valerie.

For the record, within the treeline there are, of course, trees that would allow for taking cover. They aren't super large trunks this close to the road, but enough to give cover. There is also plenty of bushes and the like, but it is a fairly straight path to the men.

Round 2: Innocent Boar Hunters

"Any luck-? Oh, yeah, the boars. Well, we're just getting started for the day, getting our spears sharpened and all that. Lots of boars in this wood, I've got a good feeling about this trip, right boys!?" The boar hunter relaxes a bit as he calls to his friends.

The other three expert boar hunters slow to a stop at this, about 60 ft away from Hanzo, Sakura, Rowan, and Hector.

"That's good instincts, but you're going to get someone killed if you aren't careful, charging at people like that! You're lucky we're so generous," he appears to start to say something else, but notices Murgen approaching in the distance. And the others, but very specifically Murgen. "Aye, very generous. We ain't even going to charge you a distress fee," he mutters.

"So what's all this about boars now?" one of the approaching spearmen asks. The other three men look physically pained at this comment, for the briefest of moments, but the man in the lead (henceforth referred to as the leader) quickly explains:

"I was just telling these travelers how we were getting ready for a real nice day of boar hunting, right?"

"Oh, huh. Ah, right, right! Boar hunting!" the approaching man says, flashing the leader a thumbs up.

"Sorry, my mate ain't completely there... in the head," the leader apologizes to Hanzo and Rowan. "Anyway, from what I hear, the bandit attacks seem to be coming from the swamp. You should go look down there if you want to find bandits."


Round 2: Players

The situation has not changed significantly, other than that small amount of movement from the three Innocent Boar Hunters.

Valerie, when you move, do you follow Hanzo at full speed (a run) or move slower (40 ft)?
Last edited by Pkdragon on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:56 am

Something bad might have happened, so we ran! Gotta stay with the group!

"Murgen, Picker. You two have been around these lands far longer than I. Recognize any of them?"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests