Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:00 am

"No. I've never seen these men within the walls of the Keep," Picker replies.

Murgen shrugs, somewhat embarrassed. "I have a hard time recognizing individual humans."
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:03 am

Hanzo sees the main group approaching and comes over to meet them. He talks in a lowered voice, so as not to be heard by the hunters.

"My gut tells me something is not right here. I do not think these men are telling the truth. They may very well be the bandits we were warned of."

"We seem to overpower them by more than two to one, which are good odds, but I can not be certain there are not more men in hiding. They seem to fear the bear, and will undoubtedly leave us alone if we do not provoke them."

"Should we fight them? I say No. Our quest in the Caves is more urgent, and we can always return to thin the road of bandits later, if we wish to. But I am willing to listen to arguments to the contrary. I have had not a good target practise in a while."

Hanzo is not enthusiastic about bandit hunting, being something of one himself, but he always welcomes a chance to prove his skills in battle.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:11 am

"I agree they're a tad fishy, but we have no proof! Some people are just skittish! If skittishness meant banditry then our Sakura would be some sort of criminal mastermind! Haha. Well, Picker, make a note of what they look like, how many there are, and where we are. We can tell the authorities of our suspicions and they can resolve it properly."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:32 am

"If they're not bandits then they're up to something else that they don't want us to know about. Poor liars, all of them. But I agree with Hanzo - they clearly don't have the stomach for a fight against so many of us and we have more urgent business right now. There might be more of them at a remove, though, so I think it would be best to keep an even sharper eye around us as we proceed."

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Sakura briefly twitched at Valerie's mention, but decided to not bring up that she took mild offense to that statement.

Silently considering the options, she found that on one hand, leaving bandits on the run could lead to something bad. On the other hand, not leaving these guys alone could get any one of the group injured or even killed. And that would be the worst. Besides, the business in the Caves seems more urgent, and Sakura steps back a pair of feet as an indication of her choice, without turning her back to the other party in case they attempt an attack while they're going back to the road.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:43 am

Okay, at this point we're out of initiative, unless someone does something hostile, in which case we'll roll initiative again. But from my view, hostilities have ceased.

---

As you have your group huddle, the innocent boar hunters seem to slink further away.

"Well, uh, boars ain't going to be hunting themselves!" says the leader. "Good luck with the bandit hunt! Remember, the swamp is infested with them!"

At this point they are all about 80 ft away from the group, well into the forest. if you wish to do any last minute interactions with them, now is your chance.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 am

Hanzo says: "They could have been scouts, looking to inform their friends and come back with reinforcements."

"This is why I charged. The man I saw was moving away, and I saw a chance to stop his retreat", he justifies his actions.

He looks mildly offended. As if his judgment was ever in doubt.

"For future encounters, if you see us scouts charge off somewhere like we did now, just turn your formation around and approach cautiously in the direction we're running. Do not make loud noises, as they can alert an unaware enemy. Use hand signals and gestures to communicate. If you must speak, try to keep your voice down and keep it short."

Hanzo indicates he is ready to return to formation and continue the journey.

"If my intuition of them coming back with reinforcements is right, we must hurry. There is only half an hour of journey left. The sooner we reach our destination the better."

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 am

<OOC: apology for the late reply, reasons stated in chat>

Upon seeing Hanzo breaking formation, Acame turns around to face Kugel, remembering the thief's doubts about his integrity. Valerie, however, has already taken immediate action. Acame decides it's best if he kept his eyes on him for the time being, still unsure about Kugel being an accomplice to what could be bandits roaming about.

Sakura ran off, prompting Acame to shout to not break formation. The rest, at least, seemed sensible enough. The Elf made a note to talk to Sakura later about it. Hanzo, at least, could be trusted to know what he's doing and is probably in no need of immediate assistance. Barging into traps like that, certainly for a healer, is a good way to get people killed eventually.

The bandits proved to be terrible liars, claiming to be boar hunters. Kugel, however, seemed to be very obedient, following the lead of Valerie and Acame.
Even if he's leading us into a trap, this pitiful bunch certainly can't be it, Acame thought.

Visibly pleased with avoiding a conflict, Acame nods to Hanzo and tells the main group to get back to the road to continue their journey. He's still intent on having a word with Sakura to tell her not to suddenly break formation like that. There's a good reason we're keeping one, and we're probably going to need a healer before long...
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:58 am

All right, let's return to formation and keep moving to them Caves.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:03 am

That we can do. Congratulations on surviving the Innocent Boar Hunters!

The rest of the journey proceeds without incident. The road quickly turns towards the northeast, and at this point Kugel becomes slightly more nervous than before. After traveling some time, he leads the group into the woods to the west (yes, this time to the actual west). He leads the group in what almost seems to be something of a circle for a bit- if pressed, Kugel answers that he is merely making sure any more of the bandits will have a hard time following them. He checks the side of trees for moss. He scans for paths that aren't there. He almost seems less familiar with the area than he claimed, if such a thing were possible.

Nevertheless, after two hours of travel -slightly more than the one hour you were promised, though that appeared to be a bit of an optimistic travel time anyway, and htis was most likely shorter than it would have taken you without Kugel, who at least did seem to have a *general* idea of what to look for), you find yourself at your destination...

(Next post is going to be a significant one, so get hyped!).
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:27 am

Day Two- Morning:

The forest you have been passing through has been getting more dense, tangled, and gloomier than before. The thick, twisted tree trunks, unnaturally misshapen limbs, writing roots, clutching and grasping thorns and briars all seem to warn and ward you off, but you have forced and hacked your way through regardless. Now the strange growth has suddenly ended- you have stepped out of the thicket into a ravine-like area.

The walls rise rather steeply to either side to a height of about 100ft or so- dark streaked rock mingled with earth. Clumps of trees grow here and there, both on the floor of the ravine and up the sloping walls of the canyon. The opening you stand in is about 200 ft wide. The ravine runs at least 400 ft west to where the western end rises in a steep slope.

Here and there, you can see the black mouths of cave-like openings in the rock walls. The sunlight is dim, the air dank, there is an oppressive feeling here- as if something evil is watching and waiting to pounce upon you. There are bare, dead trees, and upon one a vulture perches and gazes hungrily at you. A flock of ravens rise croaking from the ground, the beat of their wings and their cries magnified by the terrain to sound loud and horrible.

Amongst the litter of rubble, boulders, and dead wood scattered about on the ravine floor, you can see bits of gleaming ivory and white- closer inspection reveals that these are bones and skulls of men, animals, and other things.

You know that you have certainly discovered the Caves of Chaos.

Image

Not the prettiest version of the map, but accurate. Should be fairly self explanatory- the caves are the little semi-circle parts of the map, the contour lines mark slopes, not hard cliff surfaces- it is all climbable, though steep. The tree thickets are very difficult to see through without going into them.


Turn One Begins

Each turn is 10 minutes. It is assumed you are going slow, taking your time so as not to set off traps, so each major action that isn't over in an instant tends to take a turn, and movement can sometimes be slower than you'd think. Combat is fast, at least- it does not cause a turn to pass, unless it's super long.

One note- I will be unlikely to map out the full interior complex, but if you want to create maps of your own and share them, that is very much in the spirit of things!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:51 am

Hanzo and Rowan are seen huddling some distance away from the main group, discussing strategy in hushed tones. (OOC: Discord conversation. Go there if you want details. Following plan is based on it)

Finally, they seem to reach an agreement. Hanzo says "Hmm", nods, and turns to the rest of the party.

"Looks like the cave openings are too narrow to accommodate our current formation."

"We should change to a different marching order more suitable for cave exploration."

Code: Select all

 Front

  1 2
  3 4
  5 6
  7 8

 Rear

1 = Hanzo
2 = Rowan
3 = Murgen
4 = Hector
5 = Acame
6 = Valerie
7 = Picker (If she comes - otherwise Sakura will be the lone rear guard)
8 = Sakura
"I, Hanzo, will hold the ten foot pole and probe the floor in front of us for pressure plates or anything that might trigger a trap. Every two steps I will raise the pole high into the air to check for any tripwires."

"Rowan may take a position closer to the front as he requested to. I'm moving Murgen there with him. That leaves the responsibility of guarding the rear to Sakura."

"Hector can be our torch bearer."

Hanzo turns to the Keep Soldier.

"Picker, are you sure about staying outside? This place looks like it would be easy for someone to ambush a lone guard. You would be safer with us."

"As for which cave opening to enter... we do not know which one leads to our kidnap victims, but I think we heard a rumour the entrances higher above lead to more dangerous parts of the system. We should probably start by exploring the lower caves first. Might as well enter the closest one to us!"

"If anyone has doubts, ideas, objections, or anything else to say, speak up now!"

(OOC: I'm working with the assumption that we're bringing Picker in as a hireling, and paying Kugel and sending him back, but that's still undecided, so don't take this as the absolute final version of the plan.)

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:12 am

Sakura silently observes the grim landscape and briefly shudders. The place reminded her of how she left her home — a grim landscape full of death. Hanzo coming back snaps her out of her flashback.

Uh oh. Immediate rearguard. Ah well, it shouldn't be worse here than on the road..., Sakura thought to herself. She merely heaves a little sigh at her predicament. She tries as hard as possible to make that sigh look like a sigh of relief that she doesn't have to worry about Kugel anymore Kugel didn't leave them to the wrong place.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:08 am

Acame seemed to be completely unperturbed by Kugel's long way of leading them here, dividing his attention between watching Kugel work his way and taking in his surroundings.
"The landscape here is quite something else, Kugel. I can imagine you come by here more often," he says to Kugel at one point where the growth is particuarly nasty and tangled. Some raise their eyebrows but nobody seems to make a real point of it. They might be thinking Elves are just weird like that (which they are).

Once they arrive, Acame has a slight feeling of apprehension, though, looking up at the brooding cliffs. At Hanzo's suggestion for the party formation, he lets out a sigh of relief. It's no secret that the Elf is not fond of combat and would rather not take point. He does object to his suggestion of sending Kugel off, saying that it won't be safe for him to travel back without an escort. The innocent boar hunters might still be there, after all. And Kugel did hold up his side of the deal. Instead, Acame proposes to leave Kugel with Picker, and have them find a safe place to hide. Mulling this over, he suddenly thinks of something and turns to Hanzo and Rowan, still discussing the battle plan.

"Hanzo, we could also still use a lookout here. If there's a group of bandits or whatnot making use of these caves, they might enter or leave one of the caves. If we can pinpoint their location, it might save us a lot of guesswork and potential death. Look at all those caves!" Acame makes a sweeping gesture in the general direction of the cliffs. "If we don't know where we should even begin, we might be here forever and never find anything. And if they see us enter one blindly, we may very well be marching right into an ambush!"

Acame thinks for a bit, then turns back to Hanzo and Rowan.

"I reckon that before we enter one of the caves, we should scout the outside area for any visible marks that show signs of people having passed it recently. Broken twigs, footprints, that sort of thing. A merchant was abducted with his wife. They might have stolen some goods as well. If there was a lot, they'd have horses, or a cart with them to carry it. If that's the case, they will most likely have used one of the lower caves. The upper ones seem to steep to me. You (nodding to Hanzo) and Hector can move with stealth. If you keep behind cover, I don't think you'd be seen."
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:09 am

"I was going to climb one of the ridges and stay as hidden as possible while covering as much vision of the Caves. Kugel will be there to watch my back, right?" Picker says, though you're not sure she's entirely serious about that last line. It's hard to tell.

"Uh- y-yes! I am quite talented at watching backs!" Kugel says, nodding.

"But if you wish me to go with you, I am willing to sign on as a retainer, for the time being."

Kugel stops nodding.

"I, ah, too am willing to contribute my not insignificant skills towards our shared goal as a hireling! For the standard retainer fee, of course."

I suppose I'll reveal the absolutely godlike stats of these hirelings at this point

Picker
HP: 5 AC: 5 Morale: Depends on CHA
Polearm: +0, 1d10 + 0
Heavy Crossbow: +0, 1d8+0

Kugel
HP: 1 AC: 9 Morale: Depends on CHA
Short Sword: +0, 1d6 + 0

Actually by all rights Kugel should be dead because he has negative CON and rolled a 1 on his HP. These stats were generated after I introduced him as a character, but I think they fit.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:26 am

Hanzo mulls over the elf's suggestion. "To scout the terrain? Hmm."

Hanzo does not like the presence of the heavy thickets. They could hide enemies, as he points out.

They could hide loot and treasure, as well, or hints to the merchant's whereabouts, but it would be difficult to search them safely without burning them down. The party probably doesn't want to draw attention to itself this way, not to mention the fire would be likely to destroy any loot and evidence as well.

Hanzo is not in favour of scouting the terrain, unless the party moves as one, protecting each other's backs. It might be less stealthy to do it this way, though, so he sees the other side of the argument.

If the rest of the party presses it, he is willing to split the party and do it with Hector, as a pair, but reluctantly.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:55 am

The Thickets:
The small woods are thick growths, tangled and forbidding. It will take a turn to fully explore each thicket.

Cave Entrances:
The cave entrances look like they are made out of natural stone. The one nearest to you shows some signs of stoneworking- the stone is unusually smooth, though still has much of the texture of a normal cave.

The other cave on the floor of the ravine, across from you between the thickets, appears to have some trees growing on the slope above it, but you can nevertheless see the cave opening. It appears slightly smaller than the other caves- not so much to completely ruin your formation, but enough that you might have to crouch a bit while walking (to be clear, not enough to give you any general mechanical penalties either- but it could come up).

The cave directly north of you, halfway up the slope, has what appears to be totems outside of it- though it is hard to tell for sure from this distance.

The other caves are too far away to make out any details.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:11 am

Hanzo has a long-winded discussion with Acame about how to approach exploring the ravine.

They are seen drawing lines around in the dirt. At one point Hanzo curses in frustration, kicks sand over the drawing, and starts over again.

(OOC: More Discord conversation)

They finally reach something of an agreement, and again Hanzo turns to the party and presents a plan.

"We think it best that after an initial survey of our surroundings and clearing some space for a camp in the nearest thicket, we should climb on top of that slope over there and spy on the entrance to the ravine from above."

"Acame thinks we might catch some bandits unaware while they leave or enter the caves. If we can imprison one or more of them, we could interrogate them for information about the merchant and his wife."

Image

The plan in six steps:

1. The party waits where we are now, as a scouting party consisting of Hanzo and Hector splits up and examines the nearest entrance from up close. They will examine details in the stoneworking and listen for any sounds coming from inside, while trying to remain stealthy. After few minutes of listening, they will return to the main party.

2. The party advances into the nearest thicket. We will use the formation detailed above, except Hanzo swaps places with Murgen. We will search the thicket for anything interesting and clear it of anything dangerous. After we're certain we're safe, we make a small clearing in the middle. This will be our camp and base of operations.

3. Hanzo and Hector split up again and do a round trip examining the two northern entrances. The rest of the party waits at the edge of the thicket, ready to come into the scouting party's aid in case trouble stirs.

4. The party moves to the next thicket and agains searches it thoroughly. We won't be making any clearings here so this should be quicker than point 2.

5. Hanzo and Hector examine the fourth nearby entrance.

6. The party climbs to the large thicket above, makes sure it's safe and then lies down in wait keeping their eyes on the ravine below. We haven't determined how long we will wait yet, but we can decide once we reach waypoint 6. This is also where we were planning leaving Kugel and Picker when and if we decide to enter the cave.

As always, further discussion and critique of the plan is welcome.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:03 am

"Very thorough! As expected from an expert scout. Setting up a camp is handy, and having Picker be a lookout up high is a grand idea! That way when we rescue the hostage she'll have a safe place to recover in. Splendid!"

Valerie takes out her quill and a piece of paper and starts sketching the area. "Hmm, all kinds of fascinating flora here. Do you think ~*~Evil Chaos~*~ is responsible for the strange growths? If so, I wonder why it seems to have stopped as we reached the ravine proper. Maybe that means the Shrine is underground in the direction we came from? If we find a cave system that juts that way, I feel confident that means it's the right one. Hmmm... so much to study, so much."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:31 am

Whoops I think we need to update our formation. We still have Kugel with us!

So I propose we use this order for the jungle whacking:

Code: Select all

 Front

  1 2
 3 4 5
  6 7
  8 9

 Rear

1 = Murgen
2 = Rowan
3 = Hanzo
4 = Kugel
5 = Hector
6 = Acame
7 = Picker
8 = Valerie
9 = Sakura
Once we get inside the caves we'll use the one I outlined before.

No width restriction in the thickets I assume so I'm making the second row three people wide to fit Kugel snugly in the middle.

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:14 am

Sakura silently studies the map, glare intensely fixed on the map.
Progressing slowly then claiming height advantage should work. We can't check all the entrances, and we need not to be open.

She checks with a look around all the entrances in sight, wary to the extreme that potential enemies may come out — with the low ground they currently have, they could be easy targets for an ambush...

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:30 am

The formation will work, though not super well. These thickets are dense with trees, so there might be trees that get in your way with three people wide, but that just means one of the three man line will be slightly separated from the other two if combat breaks out- which may not even be a bad thing. (I won't fiat this, I'll roll if that happens). Beyond that, since everyone seems to be in agreement...

Turn 2
You take about 10 minutes to plan out your strategy. Nothing happens in this time, other than carrion birds circling in the sky. The ravine seems almost unnaturally still.

Since you had quite the huddling session, twice, and it was defined as such in the fiction, I'm going to say that this took about 10 minutes to figure everything out and share the plan with the group. Any further planning involving trees and surface terrain won't take nearly as long, because I'll have assumed you did the brunt of it right now..

Step 1: The First Cave
Hanzo and Hector sneak up to the nearest cave and examine as planned.

As far as the stoneworking goes, it merely seems that the entrance was, at one point in the distant past, artificially opened up, as opposed to being a completely natural cave. The cave extends into a small cavern (about 15x15ft), which seems to have openings leading to the south, east, and west. The light does not allow you to see very far into any of these passages.

Hanzo, you hear high pitched voices (laughing? shrieking?) coming from the cave. It's very distant. You can't make out any words at all. The noises do seem to be coming from the western passage. Hector meets your eye contact and nods. He clearly heard the voices as well.

I won't be waiting forever before describing step two (i hope), but feel free to share this revelation with the party.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:33 am

Partial consensus seems to be keep it moving, so we move, into the woods...

Step 2: The Thicket

You advance into the thicket, and the thicket's darkness, the twistedness of the trees, it makes all but the most hardened members of your party shiver despite yourselves. Inside the thicket, the tops of the trees let in only the occasional shaft of light. It does not get any less easier inside, as there are plenty of trees inside the thicket- if you want to make any sort of real camp here, you're going to need to cut several of these trees down. Much of the dirt on the ground is muddy, and the floor of the thicket is covered with bushes, requiring you to go slow.

Searching the thicket: The good news is, there's no hostiles in the thicket, though it would certainly make an optimum monster lair between the darkness and the mazelike nature. There are plenty of creatures- insects stir in the mud and a small snake slithers away from Rowan's boot at one point- but they are not the aggressive type. There are some holes in the trees, one of them has some eggs, but otherwise they are empty of anything of interest.

The question I want to ask you is: how exactly do you plan to make your camp?

---

@Sakura:
Even though you're in the rear, you practically trip over this. Literally- your foot catches on something and you stumble. A creature is lying face down in the mud, next to the trunk of a tree. It was easy to miss in this position, so you're the first to encounter it. The creature on the ground does not seem to be moving despite the fact that you kicked it, and while most of it is covered with studded leather armor and a helmet, you can make out bits of it's skin- bright orange, with brownish orange hair. The creature does not seem human.

Oh, and it also smells, now that you're close to it. Quite badly. Of death.

Turn 3 Begins
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 am

Sakura just waits a second and studies the body from afar with her eyes.

"Eww...", she squirms out loud at the smell, before quickly catching back up to the group, latching onto Valerie tightly as she came as deep into the group as possible. "Stop!", she speaks as loud as she can she catches herself before the sound attracts people. "I saw something terrible over here.", she says, pointing to the dead body.

She doesn't elaborate, instead choking on other words and then trying her hardest to keep herself together while tugging to inspect the corpse.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:40 am

Hanzo turns around sharply, and is about to draw his weapon, before he takes in what the alarm is about.

He sees the creature in the mud, most likely a fallen warrior from a recent fight, he surmises.

He remembers the rumours of the Caves being the home to multiple orc tribes. They may not all be in friendly terms. A sign of a recent altercation between the orcs?

Regardless, he sees the body as being worthy of investigation, no matter how disgusting it may be. He picks up a nearby branch and approaches the creature slowly, then pokes it a few times.

If there is no reaction he attempts to kick it over with his boot, to reveal its front side.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:46 pm

"There is nothing terrible here, young one. An empty vessel, their life force has mov- Hanzo! A little decorum, please!"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:22 pm

@Hanzo:
The creature does not move when poked.

When flipping it over, you find that the creature is no orc- nor a goblin, but rather it has features of both. It is somewhat larger than a goblin, but smaller than an orc, quite hairy, and has bright orange skin. You've never seen it's like before.

The creature seems to have taken wounds from an axe, and is recently deceased- within the last few days. It carries a longsword, still in it's hand- not particularly notable except that it is of better quality than normal for the monster races you are used to- most weapons used by monsters tend to end up chipped and beaten, but this sword is well taken care of. The creature also carries a bag at it's side.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm

"Hm, not sure I've seen this creature before. Atikrama kara, my mysterious friend. Return to nature. But not so fast, I'd love to get a sketch of you..."

Which she then does. Roleplaying!
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Acame lets out a gasp as Hanzo kicks over the corpse. He definitely recognises this creature.

"I've seen these creatures before. It's a Hobgoblin."

Acame curses in Elvish, then continues.

"These beings are foul, scum of the earth, and have been our enemies for millennia. I did not expect to see them here, however. It's very rare for them to venture out into human lands. We must be extra careful, the hobgoblins are powerful fighters and this one, at least, seems to be well armed."
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Hanzo appears not to hear the cleric's protest.

He does respond to the elf. "Powerful fighters, you say? Hmm. I wonder what killed him, then."

He kneels down and opens the bag to see what's inside.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 pm

"I'd be more interested in knowing who killed him. There might be more than one group roaming this place, and they seem not to be too friendly to each other."
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 am

Perhaps unsurprisingly, within the pouch is a small amount of coins: 10 silver pieces. There are also a few tooths, maybe a toenail, but importantly, there is silver.

It's not much, but this counts as your first piece of loot! Loot is not something I'm going to track religiously for you. I'll have my own notes, for proper XP, sure. But it's not something I want to be reposting constantly. I've found the easiest way to track loot is to use a shared google spreadsheet, but I'll allow you to figure out a way that works best for you.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:35 am

"Hob... goblin... uses metal coin currency... collects teeth... hates elves... strong... well equipped... There is so much in the world to know! It's never ending." Valerie says as she's writing things down.

She then picks up the hobgoblin's nice sword and gives it to Murgen. "Here, you can use this in case we get into combat in close quarters and you can't quite wave your stick around. No reason to let things go to waste, yes?"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:59 am

"If these... hobgoblins... are so terrible... how come we find one dead here..?" Sakura mutters: "This place... reeks." This was the first time she even assisted to the looting of a dead body. "It reeks of war, and the death that follows."

She briefly wondered if the creature deserved a prayer, but in the end, she crouched down and briefly prayed. "May you rest now, and find peace in the world beyond..."

After she gets up, she comments: "There has to be some sort of enemy around here...", but focuses on casting glances at the surroundings instead of losing herself in dark thoughts.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:33 am

Murgen shakes his head, smiling. "That sword would not be of much use for me. In the rare case where my polearm is not the best tool for the job... well..." He raises his claws, and you can see that they are quite an effective weapon.

In a pinch, Murgen can attack twice per turn with his claws for 1d4 damage each. He gets no bonus to these attacks because his specialty is the polearm, but they would be better than a longsword for him.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:39 pm

""My big strong boy! You are too cute my friend, too cute."

Valerie stabs the sword into the ground. "Well, I know we said we were going to set up a camp here, but the smell makes me think we should pass on that. Shall we move on?"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 am

Dead bodies aside, it seems like there's agreement to move on and skip making a camp, at least for the time being. Rowan is the only one with an axe, so if you ever want to start working on a camp, just tell me Terr : )

Step 3: Two Caves
Abandoning the thicket, Hanzo and Hector creep up to the smaller cave underneath the trees. The entrance to the cave is natural, but the tunnel itself quickly turns into worked stone- grey tiles make up the stonework (think your traditional dungeon). Unfortunately, due to the trees above it and the small nature of the entrance, you cannot see that far into the cave.

You do not hear anything.

It takes a bit of time to climb up the cliffside quietly, but you manage. Up close, you discover that the totems outside the cave entrance are made of painted bone- bones of humanoids, from the looks of it. Looking inside the cave, you can see the cave tunnel goes about 20 feet in, before ending in a T-shaped intersection (that is, there are passages to the east and west). The back wall of the cave is decorated with heads and skulls, of humans, dwarves, and men, all in various stages of decay.

The stonework is similar to the stonework in the first tunnel you visited, before exploring the thicket- smoothed stone, but still generally cavelike in nature.

Once again, neither of you hear anything. All is quiet.

You are able to return to the rest of the group without incident, if you wish.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:18 am

Hanzo returns to the party and describes what he has seen.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:35 am

Narts wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:18 am
Hanzo returns to the party and describes what he has seen.
Acame asks Hanzo and Hector if the caves had any indication of having been used recently. Were there footprints or snapped twigs, for instance, or maybe some semblance of a trail formed by people(?) frequently going in and out the caves?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 am

Hanzo and Acame:
As far as evidence of use goes, there's definitely a few snapped branches in the entrance to the first two caves you checked out (the one with the shrieks, and the small one). All of the caves have dirt and twigs in them, the twigs generally gathering on the sides of the entrances, but none of the caves themselves have any footprints in the entrances, as the ground is made of stone. Searching for tracks outside the caves, in the ravine area, is certainly a possibility- it will just will take some time, depending on how large an area you search.

Speaking of that, I think by the time Hanzo gets back, that whole loop would probably take about a turn. Inspecting the corpse, moving stealthily, listening for sounds, investigating the cave entrances themselves, reporting back.

Turn 4 Begin

At this point you've been here 30 minutes. The area is still quiet, like the calm before a storm.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Airnike and 0 guests