Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

scraggypunk

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 am

Valerie is delighted to have Alba's company. They can discuss theology.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:28 am

Alba is happy to join.

Also, Acame is successful in hiring the Masked Man.

Stats for M.M. will be posted... Soon!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:51 am

the masked man... is pk! the whole dang time!!
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 am

Conor is looking at the old longsword Alice is holding, which looks unreliable.

He asks the party if it's wise to let her rely on such a weapon.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Masked Man
HP: 3 AC: 5 Morale: 8
Mace: + 0, 1d6 + 0
Sling: +0, 1d4 + 0
Prepared Spell: You have no clue since he isn't much for communication.

Fun Fact: The proper hirelings, I'm rolling for one stat with a bonus, and one stat with a penalty. Of course, the mental stats don't actually do much for hirelings. So of course all the stat modifications of the current crop ended up being to mental stats.

- - -

So, a recap, and some belated answering of questions:

- You all spent two weeks training, carousing, or hiring while Sakura healed. I didn't post everyone's and I'm sorry, due to the chaos of the past few weeks plus the fact that I was on vacation, I didn't properly log everything. If you rolled for something and didn't record it, I can look through the logs and try to address the situation.

-Rowan and Valerie are now more familiar with the seedy underbelly of the Keep. Which is mostly just a bunch of drunk mercenaries and a couple merchants with goods that they probably shouldn't have. You two actually spent some time drinking with Jeska's band, and know that they seem to have some dignity, for mercenaries. Take that how you will.

-Conor joined the group, and Acame was able to learn Read Magic from him. He's probably been introduced by now to the rest, but if you care to introduce yourself formally, now is the time.

-You gained 5 extra hirelings, a mercenary group, and 1 ally out of the hiring fair.

- Elaine, Hector's friend, notably didn't show up for the hiring fair. She's been around, but was out on an adventure during the hireling fair. Actually, Hector was gone for a period of time too. He's back now, and ready to work, of course.

- During this time period, as a group, you spent some money on a Cart and a horse, and Hanzo bought a whole bunch of Good Things! Reposted for ease of use.

1x hemp rope
2x Axe, hand
Hammer
Ladder, 10-foot
Pick, miner's
2x Spade
Spikes, iron (24)
Stakes, wooden (30)

These were intended for communal use, so remember them well!

- Sakura is fully healed! You're free, Airnike! You're free!

Anyway. Thank you for bearing with me these past two weeks, they have not been my best weeks. I'm sorry that the downtime had to be drawn out like this, but better now than in the middle of the dungeon. Hopefully things will go smoother from here, (he says, as benefits open enrollment looms over him...)

. . .

Day 16
25th of Sunhearth, Early Morning

You wake up as light enters the windows of the inn, the first day that none of you are caught up in the madness of the prior two weeks. Sakura is present, and possibly has been using this room for a week instead of the church. You're planning to meet with your hirelings to discuss the day's work, and where you're going from here, in the common room downstairs.

What do you do?

In other words... resetting the scene so that we are now all at the same place in the timeline. Feel free to have any discussion and planning because I'm expecting there will be adventure today! Also feel free to role play now that you're all in the same place and time.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:58 pm

A streak of sunlight pokes Hanzo's eye through the window. He rises from the bed, yawning and stretching his arms.

"The dragon awakens."

Later, he is studying the map, the roster and the inventory, all neatly laid on the table in the middle of the room while drinking his morning coffee.

"Now, that our cleric is fully healed and our numbers have been bolstered by new recruits, it is time that we return to our mission."

"We have wasted enough time. Two weeks have passed since we last entered the ravine. We felled a tremendous foe, gained some treasure, but did not learn much about the two hostages we set out to extract."

He slams his fist on the table. Some coffee spills on the map.

"This is unacceptable!"

"We must do better this time. Fortunately, we have taken our time to prepare. We have the numbers, we have the tools. We have a group of mercenaries we can leave behind to guard our camp while we enter the caves to flush out the chaos that lurks within."

"We know that one of the caves is inhabited by... what do you call these... yes, goblins. Pathetic weaklings. I am sure it will not be difficult to capture one or two and torture them for all they know. Armed with their knowledge, we will be sure to defeat the rest of the cave dwellers and pry all their treasure from their twitching fingers! Ha! Hanzo makes another fool-proof plan."

He looks around at everyone in the room.

"We must not let further time go to waste. If anyone has doubts or suggestions regarding the plan, the time to speak is now!"

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm

"I appreciate the pick up and go attitude, Hanzo, but we mustn't torture anyone! Doing such things sullies the soul! Bisannata overwhelms you, and you will be lost!"

She looks down at the map, then grabs the coffee. "Hey!! Be careful! Maps are precious things, treat them with respect!"
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Hanzo rises up and gives Valerie a furious stare.

"Are you lecturing me, woman?"

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 pm

"More preaching than lecturing, but yes."
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 pm

"Your ideals are childish. Open your eyes to the real world. If we wish to accomplish our objectives, we are going to need to spill blood and cause suffering. You can preach and pray and sing songs all you want but nothing in this life comes for free."

"If you have alternative ideas, I am all ears. But I am afraid the greenskins are not going to listen to anything but violence."

Hanzo turns to Acame. "Elf, was it not our plan to capture one or more of these creatures so we may pry out of them the information we need?"

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:59 pm

"Yes, it was. I agree with you there. Goblins are detestable creatures which are inherently evil. They will never cooperate otherwise. And we need information."
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:29 am

"I never said I was against violence, I said I was against torture. It is a nefarious act that infects the person doing it as well as the victim! If goblins are 'inherently evil' as you say, then what makes you think they'd reveal anything to you? What, do you think if you break a finger it's going to draw us a map of the cave system? Give us directions? Turn left at the stalagmite? Don't be absurd. Just kill it and be done with it."
wisdom

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 am

Sakura, awoken by the noise, emerges to a dispute. "Why so early..." she mutters in her pillows. Slightly bothered, she leaves the room without a word. (Any who are not busy taking care of their own stuff or having a petty dispute can notice.)

She goes to she smith and looks around for the weapons in stock. After a while, she steels up and calls out to the smith. "I wish to make a... special purchase."

Sakura purchases a longbow (40gp), as well as 40 arrows (10gp) and a shortsword (7gp).

That's a total 57gp, but last I checked Sakura has 147gp so it works out.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:20 am

This is actually a very important conversation so I'm not going to rush it. Knowing the group's limits is important.

Sakura, you are able to do that with no issues. As you head through the inn room, you see that not all the hirelings have gathered yet, this early in the morning, but Murgen is there, and waves a claw at you in greeting as you head to the store. Veera is also already present. Hector is present, but asleep, as he sleeps in the common room most of the time.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Conor tries the magical angle.
‘Can’t we charm a goblin into telling us things? I also aim practicing the art of mind reading, but I need to get more experienced to use it...’’

Conor is otherwise hestistant to outline a clear position.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Hanzo blinks a few times and turns his head towards Conor. This seems to be the first time he notices him.

"And who is this boy?"

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:22 am

"He's, uh... Acame's paper boy, was it? My memory of the past week is a little fuzzy."
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:38 am

''Acame asked me to do some some arcane identification for him, yes. But I was looking for opportunities to gain new experiences around here, so he invited me to join. I'm not active as a hireling, in case you're wondering. I have some magical ability, and have a trained guard dog and the hired dwarf to provide protection. I'm hoping we could work well together. Acame told me who's who, but do you have any need to introduce yourself?''

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:05 am

"A mage and a dog. Very well, then. The dog at least should prove useful for smelling out trouble before the rest of us see it!"

"As for myself, does my reputation not precede me? I am the great Hanzo, master of the bow and the art of deception! The most competent thief whose foot you will ever see grace the soil on this continent."

Hanzo crosses his arms and grins in a self-satisfied manner, before he sits down and returns to his notes.

"We have precious little intel to go by with. Very few leads to follow. We have discovered nine cave entrances, and who knows how many of them remain hidden in the thickets."

"It seems then, that we would need to focus our efforts on gathering information. The only living things in the ravine we have encountered besides the ogre whom we slew, are the goblins. If we cannot torture them, we can only rely on threats or deceit to get anything out of them."

"Let us see what else we know."

1. The Ogre's Cave

"The ogre's former home seems like it would make for a good base of operations for us. Hidden from sight and easy to defend. We could hide the horse and cart in there and leave Jeska's Darkblades to guard it. They are professionals, I trust, and would make good use of the abundant cover provided by the terrain."

2. The Goblin Cave

"This is the southern cave near the ravine's mouth. We know goblins live inside, because we have seen them. They are, I believe, weak creatures of weak will and would be easily defeated. In war, you must always strike at the weakest point to defeat your enemy! Therefore, I suggest this be the first entrance we raid."

3. The Dead Hobgoblin

"So we know at least one hobgoblin has been to the area. There are likely to be more. They might be another tribe living in the caves. If what Acame the Elf tells me is accurate, hobgoblins are fearsome foes and to be treated with respect."

4. The Entrance of the Totems

"We did not see nor hear a living thing inside, but the totems and the rotting skulls suggest this cave is inhabited, or has been recently. I wonder if we could learn anything by examining the severed heads closer - a grim prospect, but we would save a lot of time and effort if we could confirm the two human prisoners we are looking for are already dead. The complication here is, that we do not know what the merchant and his wife looked like. Should we bring with us someone who knew them?"

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:31 pm

By my count, we have 22 people (and 1 dog and 1 horse)
Remind me if I've missed someone.

Core Party:

Acame
Conor
Hanzo
Rowan
Sakura
Valerie

Allies:
Alba
Hooded Man 1
Hooded Man 2

Retainers:
Alice
Hector
Masked Man
Murgen
Pavol
Roderik
Veera

Mercenaries:
Jeska
Heavy Infantry
Light Infantry 1
Light Infantry 2
Bowman 1
Bowman 2

Animals:
Horse & Cart
Liam

Planning formations is starting to take some work... Also ASCII is getting unwieldy for the purpose so I've switched to PS.

Propose the following for the road:

Conor is near the point, because I want to benefit from the dog's senses.
Last edited by Narts on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:15 am

Sakura had greeted Murgen with a simple bow of the head before going shopping.

Now that she returns, she conceals her purchases in her backpack the best she can and tries her best to not appear suspicious. She stays in the common room, deciding not to go up yet and instead checking out whoever is here now.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:59 am

The common room gradually fills, and everyone ends up being more or less on time, other than Sakura and Alice who end up being slightly late- Sakura because she went shopping, Alice because she really doesn't track time. The party rest of the party can arrive whenever they want.

Alba arrives with two hooded men wearing the robes of St. Cuthbert. If asked, he introduces them as acolytes of the temple, who are traveling with him and assisting him with the quest. They have taken a vow of silence, he explains, but are "brave and stout of heart, and willing to fight for a just cause." They are carrying maces, shields and wear chain mail with the emblem of the god emblazed on them.. Alba, true to his word, wears a fine set of plate armor, and carries a mace (and shield) of his own, also of fine quality.

After all, St. Cuthbert outlaws the use of sharp weapons. :)

"So, what's the plan?" Hector asks. At which point, he will presumably be filled in on Hanzo's suggestions. But if there are any last words to be said, say them now, because after this bit I will be assuming the journey begins!

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:14 am

Hanzo, immediately upon descending to the common room, notices the longbow sticking out of Sakura's backpack.

"I see you have picked up archery, Sakura! Very good, very good."

He smiles and nods approvingly and goes on to inspect the rest of the troops, waking up whoever is still sleeping.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:24 am

Conor goes to greet Sakura, who he hasn’t met before. He didn’t notice Hanzo talking before, since he just was reviewing spells. Her age surprised him, since he was assuming to be the most inexperienced one here. She doesn’t make eye contact, so Conor tries to think of something to talk about. He sees the large backpack which has clearly some strangely large objects in it. ‘Hey, uh.. your pack looks big. What’s in it? Perhaps you should put it on the cart? It looks difficult to carry..’’.

Liam starts to sniff at the bag.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:37 am

"Sakura. It's good to see you have recovered from your ordeal," Alba says to her (after she gets a chance to respond to the other two), "I'm glad to see that you still have the will to carry on the fight, even after suffering as you did."

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:50 am

Sakura, embarrassed from the attention, is thrown for a loop with no idea of what to say here. Not to Hanzo, not to Conor, and much less at the dog, who she makes small movements with her legs as if to shoo it out.

She does however turn to Alba, as he's a voice she recognizes and feels more comfortable answering to his query. "I... kind of have to.", she shyly answers him, before picking up that she hadn't properly greeted him. "It's good to see you. You seem... ready as well.", she notes at his getup.
Last edited by Airnike on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:35 am

"Picking up a long range weapon after your ordeal makes perfect sense! Excellent thinking, my dear."

Valerie smiles, then snaps her fingers. "Oh! Speaking of, I'll go find Picker. Haha! What a silly name she has. Operation Make An Outpost is still on the tables, I assume! I'll meet you all at the gates, let's be off!"
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:16 am

Valerie:

You are unable to find Picker. If you ask the guard, you'll learn that she is currently taking part of an operation to search for the bandits.

"The good news is, the roads should be pretty clear today! The guard is out in force today, so any bandits would be suicidal to prey on travelers!"

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:38 am

At this point I'm going to assume you're ready. You've had several days to plan and I'm getting the signal that we are ready to go. I think some further discussion about which cave to enter would still be grand, but I figure getting started is long overdue. If there's anything you need me to slow down on, any clarifications made, any last minute purchases, this is your last warning.

A small army rolls out of the Keep. A core team of adventurers, some hired hands, a couple of farmers, a bear, a boy and his dog, and a small contingent of clerics. The peasants of the fishing village at the foot of the keep look up at you. "My pa's down there. He didn't approve of me becoming an adventurer, but the birds say it'll work out," Alice says to Valerie, matter of factually.

There is not much to note about the trip. True to the guard's word, the trip to the Caves go smoothly. You pass a few travelers on the way, but nothing threatening. The bright morning sun quickly turns into overcast weather, however. No rain, but the sky is a dull grey that is somehow foreboding.

When you get to the turn off into the forest leading to the caves, however, a slight problem presents itself- getting the cart to the caves themselves won't be an easy task. You'll have to help the wheels of the cart to push it through the uneven ground. And by "You", I mean, like, a portion of your people, maybe six to eight, you've got plenty to spare, but it would be a fairly noisy endeavor. Otherwise, you could try to hide it somewhere near the road. Basically, I'm curious at this point- what do you plan to do with the horse and cart?

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:51 pm

We have a bunch of tools in the cart. Hanzo didn't bring them for nothing! How many people do we need if we assign a group of workers armed with shovels, hand-axes and mining picks to level the ground in front of the cart to make it more passable? (Use rocks, gravel and wooden logs to fill holes, push aside difficult rocks, fell trees that get in the way)

This would be preferable to using muscle to lift the wheels as it would make the return trip easier as well.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:20 am

Yeah, we're going to be coming and going here pretty often I assume. Let's make ourselves a path.
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:20 am

How many people do you need? This is really a question of speed and efficiency. The numbers that follow are how I see it.

You've got 2 axes, a hammer, 2 shovels, and a miner's pick? Also Rowan has a handaxe as well. If I've forgotten any other tools other members of the party have, let me know. I'd say you could assign a number of people equal to the number of relevant tools you have (7, unless theres any hidden on any character sheets- bring them up now!) , plus maybe half that as general assistants (3, lets round down) for maximum efficiency. If you want to assign more than that to the job you can, but it would be less efficient than that. So 10 people total working, would give you the maximum speed.

I'd say it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the Caves, so this is not a quick endeavor. It'll probably take at least two hours, mostly because the forest gets really thick and dense around the caves area, so there will be a LOT of hacking at trees, even if you try to avoid them when possible. Two hours is actually probably really quick, considering how the forest is described, but... we'll start with that. The actual amount of time it'll take will be modified based on the following:
- If you happen to have more tools than I've taken into account - please check your inventories.
- If you apply a whole lot more people to the work team despite it not being super efficient
- If you use a smaller work team than 10 people.

For reference, I'm going to say that it is probably around 8:30 AM at this point, assuming you got up early and planned everything out at like, 6-7:30 AM, and then left right away. A little later than usual because Sakura had to go shopping and I'm sure she wasn't super efficient about that because she's Sakura ; )

On hearing this plan, Pavol complains about his back, refusing to work on the road. "I'm not as young as I used to be, you see. A Master Torchbearer has to take care of himself!
The hooded men distance themselves from the conversation, it does not seem like they are terribly interested in doing physical labor, though Alba himself is fine. Everyone else seems happy to go along with the plan.

I don't really need to know who is doing what exactly, but I do need to know who is working and who is on watch.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 am

Hanzo thinks Rowan, Murgen, Roderik, Alba, H. Infantry, Veera, Valerie, Masked Man, L.Infantry 1 and L.Infantry 2 should work on clearing the route while the rest keep watch.

He gives a dirty look to Pavol, but does not argue the point as the man indeed seems old, and possibly frail. He starts wondering why he brought him in the first place, though.
Last edited by Narts on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:04 am

Acame scoffs at the notion of him having to do heavy manual labour. He says he'll lead the horse instead and will allow no further discussion on that matter. He looks at Roderik as if to dare him to speak up about it.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:17 am

Conor is okay with working with his dog to watch. He’s paranoid about getting ambushes.

He does make sure to make clear he doesn’t object to some assisting, but the heavy equipment seems more fitting for stronger man.

Acame’s behaviour since Roderik’s hiring puts him off though. ‘Acame, should you not at least ask? It is the safest position.. Didn’t Sakura just recover for heavy injury?’

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:41 am

So I'm going to assume that the worker group is keeping a fairly tight workplace area and not wandering off too far from everyone else, though not being so tight to effect productivity.

People on watch, though- are you going to actively patrol, or are you going to have a more static formation around the "workplace"? Or have certain people patrol while other people guard the camp, a half and half option. I don't need an exact formation, but the general strategy does matter.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:53 am

Got the impression from the discord that it is more of a static formation around the workplace. Feel free to continue pondering this, but in the meantime I'm going to call the newbie out!

The work goes well, for about 40 minutes. The group has been able to make their road by avoiding trees so mostly it's been pulling weeds, bushes, rocks, etc. At this point, Conor notices something while staring off into space. There is, in the distant forest, a white tree. It's pretty distant, and mostly eclipsed by the other trees, so you can't really make out details, but it appears like one of the trunks is basically white instead of the usual brown.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 am

Got the impression from the discord that it is more of a static formation around the workplace. Feel free to continue pondering this, nothing is set in stone QUITE YET, but in the meantime I'm going to call the newbie out!

The work goes well, for about 40 minutes. The group has been able to make their road by avoiding trees so mostly it's been pulling weeds, bushes, rocks, etc, but now they're starting to get into the deeper woods where the forest growths become thick, almost actively hostile- near the Caves. At this point, Conor notices something while staring off into space. There is, in the distant forest, a white tree. It's pretty distant, and mostly eclipsed by the other trees, so you can't really make out details, but it appears like one of the trunks is basically white instead of the usual brown.

(Also, here's my list of who is working and who is watching. Let me know if there are any discrepancies.

Working: Rowan,Valerie, Murgen, Roderik, Alba, Veera, Masked Man, L.Infantry 1, L.Infantry 2, H. Infantry

Watching: Jeska, Hooded Man 1, Hooded Man 2, Pavol, Sakura, Alice, Acame, Conor, Hanzo, 2 Bowman, Hector)

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am

Conor is interested in checking out the tree. It’s colour might indicate some special or magical qualities. Leaving the bounds of the group would be dangerous alone however. He doubts the group would stop, but it is going to take a while to move beyond the area. Maybe Acame can help. He has read about ther connection with tree life.

‘Hey, do you see that three? I’m thinking it’s placement here might have significance. Do you think investigating it is possible?’
Last edited by Dragonite on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:30 am

Hanzo is skeptical of the tree having any special meaning. There are, after all, many different species of tree, some of which are naturally white.

However, if the party decides to investigate, he insists to sneak ahead himself together with Hector, with Jeska's mercenary group following them at a small distance, while the rest of the party waits at the cart. Work should be stopped for the investigation.

If the thieves encounter trouble, the mercenaries should charge in to reinforce them, with the main party following.