Advance Wars 2 - Balance Hack - Version 2.1

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:50 am

Shift Breaker wrote:See, that's the thing.

1) AW1 is Seriously Rare, and I want to keep my beloved copy.
2) £5 off wouldn't be much anyway, and isn't worth AW1.
3) I don't have £20.
A. Save up you twit!

B. eBay! I got my copy of AW2 when it came out there for £7.53!

TheChronoMaster

Post by TheChronoMaster » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:15 am

bog-bog wrote:You should remove at least two of Hawke's COP stars.
That would disrupt his perfect balance!

Seriously. Don't mess with Hawke. He's more balanced than Andy.
Credit to Deoxy.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:30 am

I've learnt my lesson about that. DON'T MESS WITH HAWKE! He's balanced now. Anything else will screw him up...

Sturm's basically the opposite though. He's always screwed up. You can't balance him. He's either too weak, and a copy of someone else, or too strong and broken. Although....What if you made MS do 6 damage, and give him a +10% offence/Defence boost & terrain stars = Firepower for his super(10 stars, for balance). MS is a bit overpowered, and now making it 9 stars doesn't really help. Also, you could actually fix the bit that says that Sturm's weak in snow, and that it says that Adder/Hawke's bar moves quicker/slower than usual.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:41 am

Shift Breaker wrote:I've learnt my lesson about that. DON'T MESS WITH HAWKE! He's balanced now. Anything else will screw him up...

Sturm's basically the opposite though. He's always screwed up. You can't balance him. He's either too weak, and a copy of someone else, or too strong and broken. Although....What if you made MS do 6 damage, and give him a +10% offence/Defence boost & terrain stars = Firepower for his super(10 stars, for balance). MS is a bit overpowered, and now making it 9 stars doesn't really help. Also, you could actually fix the bit that says that Sturm's weak in snow, and that it says that Adder/Hawke's bar moves quicker/slower than usual.
Make Sturm 110/110, and give him a COP that makes his units 140/140, and his SCOP does the meteor thing and makes his units 130/130. Make his meter look like this: xxxxXXXXXX

legoman727

Post by legoman727 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:39 am

Where's the weakness?
Avatar by Kosheh and OoW. Sig by Sasquatch.

Pichu: So, I was like "DIE YOU EVIL ZOMBIE"
Terragent: Please Pichu, stop telling me about your lovelife and just let me work.
Pichu: Hey! I was talking about video games!
Terragent: The way you love those things, my statement still holds true. - PKdragon

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:43 am

legoman727 wrote:Where's the weakness?

Same as Hawke's: huge power bar

legoman727

Post by legoman727 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:45 am

So, he's got no weakness day to day, he still has Meteor Strike, and a COP that gives him Kanbei Stats..... *points to golden rules*

Still overpowered.
Avatar by Kosheh and OoW. Sig by Sasquatch.

Pichu: So, I was like "DIE YOU EVIL ZOMBIE"
Terragent: Please Pichu, stop telling me about your lovelife and just let me work.
Pichu: Hey! I was talking about video games!
Terragent: The way you love those things, my statement still holds true. - PKdragon

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:44 am

Shift Breaker wrote:Sturm's basically the opposite though. He's always screwed up. You can't balance him. He's either too weak, and a copy of someone else, or too strong and broken. Although....What if you made MS do 6 damage, and give him a +10% offence/Defence boost & terrain stars = Firepower for his super(10 stars, for balance). MS is a bit overpowered, and now making it 9 stars doesn't really help. Also, you could actually fix the bit that says that Sturm's weak in snow, and that it says that Adder/Hawke's bar moves quicker/slower than usual.
Yeah, Sturm's been a royal SOB to balance. Here's what I think I'll do to the poor geezer for Beta 4:

Sturm
120/80 or 130/80 Daily
Remove Perfect Movement.

5-Star COP
Perfect Movement, 150/90 stats

Meteor Strike, 9-10 Star SCOP
150/90 Stats, 8HP Meteor, Perfect Movement.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:45 pm

Beta 4 is now here!

Changes in the first post.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

TheChronoMaster

Post by TheChronoMaster » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:47 pm

Sweet. Now to find a ROM, emulator, and SNEStool, in addition to a complete save. >_>
Credit to Deoxy.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:47 pm

SnesTool = Bad.

Lunar IPS >>>>>>>>> SnesTool.

Snestool has issues.

Belgdor

Post by Belgdor » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:06 pm

I think Sturm should be 100/90 with perfect movement, and with these powers:
CO Meter:xxxxxXXXXX
COP-Defense Initiative
120/160 units, -2 movement.
SCOP-Meteor Strike:
7 HP meteor, 150/90 units with perfect movement+weather immunity
You're an escaped prisoner, this ship is about to explode, and I have the ONLY way off of this ship. I'm offering to take you with me. And you're arguing.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:11 pm

Adder should have 1 movement cost instead of +15% ATK for SCOP.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:12 pm

Blah, then I'd have to raise it's cost to 6 or 7 stars. Perfect movement + movement boost is VERY powerful.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:14 pm

Ah fine... But I think we should make a patch that emphasizes CO specialities.

Belgdor

Post by Belgdor » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:22 pm

x0_000 wrote:Ah fine... But I think we should make a patch that emphasizes CO specialities.
Overclock patch...XD
It supercharges COs in their specialty area, and makes all rounders a god.
You're an escaped prisoner, this ship is about to explode, and I have the ONLY way off of this ship. I'm offering to take you with me. And you're arguing.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:24 pm

In a non-broken way, such as Sami getting improved capture rates during COP.

TheChronoMaster

Post by TheChronoMaster » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:32 pm

Belgdor wrote:
x0_000 wrote:Ah fine... But I think we should make a patch that emphasizes CO specialities.
Overclock patch...XD
It supercharges COs in their specialty area, and makes all rounders a god.
It makes Sturm the lord of the universe!
Credit to Deoxy.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:29 am

There. Sturm is now an individual. Well done Xenesis!! Also.....

Can I have that AW2 -> AW:DS Patch? It looks pretty cool. You know, I might start working on a Hack for the EU Version of the game(In English, not other languages). Balance Hack EU? It'll take some times...

Actually, I currently have....7 versions of AW2.

AW2 Normal US
AW2 Normal EU
AW2 Normal GBA EU
GBW1+2 Normal JPN
AW2 Balance Hack
AW2 My Hack US
AW2 My Hack EU(Soon. Got a spare EU file, not edited yet.)
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:14 am

I think the problem with balancing Sturm is that he's supposed to be unbalanced. IS designed Sturm to be the strongest CO in the game (They failed, of course, because the sneaky little bastard known as Colin pulled a coup, but that's beside the point). As such, it is hardcoded into his personality to be the strongest CO in the game (or at least to be a wannabe strongest CO in the game). A balanced Sturm just doesn't feel like Sturm...

It's the same with with not having a COP: That's how Sturm is. Sturm with a COP isn't right.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

On a related note, I move to officially rename Meteor Strike to Pancake Maker. ^_^
Mr. Self Destruct wrote:That is one thing you can say about Nintendo: love them or hate them, you can't argue the fact that a Gamecube is a viable form of offensive weaponry. It's like a freaking mace.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:23 am

On the other hand, in AW1, VS Mode Sturm was quite balanced, really. Heavy Armour, Low attack and Perfect movement, with a weak meteor. It worked.

I'm used to seeing a balanced Sturm because of my AW1 days...

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:41 am

Is it possible to re-make him?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:44 am

Definitely. It'd be no problem whatsoever.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:47 am

Let's get Sturm to town then. YEEHAW!

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:12 am

If you go all AW1 Style for Sturm, it's 6 Stars(+4000G) for Meteor Strike, if you make it 4 HP.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:50 pm

I don't see why we can't just have VS Sturm all the way through. Heck, it would make SENSE for Hot Pursuit! After all, he's supposed to be defending BH territory, not charging forward!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:00 pm

Because he'd need to be balanced anyway...Vs Sturm would be a large bit more powerful in AW2, simply because they altered the way the defence section of the damage formula worked.

Mainly because AW1's is:

Base DamagexAttack BonusxDefence ReductionxTerrain Reduction

AW2's is:

Base DamagexAttack Bonusx(Defence + Terrain Reductions).

So, defence bonuses are more powerful when stacked with Terrain in AW2. :/

Eg: A 20% Bonus defence on 2 Stars in AW1 Gives a 0.64 Multiplier to the damage. In AW2, it's an 0.6 Multiplier.

For 4-Star Terrain it would be .48 in AW1, in AW2 it would be .4...

However, I'd consider making two versions of the balance hack with both the offence and defence variant of Sturm.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:06 pm

Why did they change the formula?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:11 pm

Damned if I know. The AW1 Formula made more sense, and meant that Defence was approximately as powerful as offence...sort of. But with terrain in the equation, defence is now irrefutably more important than offence. <_<;

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:23 pm

Ah. That explains the defense>offense rule in CCO making.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:12 am

Overclock patch.....Does that makes strengths Really Strong, and weaknesses really weak? Like +100/-100 stats for Flak day to day?

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:50 am

It gets rid of weaknesses, period.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:58 am

Oh, okay. It just increases strength. I thought it'd make Strong Stronger, and Weak Weaker.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:29 am

Hmm...I just had a thought that would probably deal with this pesky Gold Rush business permanently, or at least until we work out the multiplier.

Just make Gold Rush reduce Colin's Costs, to something like 70%. Then it's not permanent and it's a lot less abusable.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:17 am

Ad give it one more star so you can't double rush unless you have goldy defence.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:13 pm

Reducing cost would solve the problem. The economical advantage a DGR would give then would be nowhere near as large as the traditional one.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:32 am

A 10% decrease in Colin's Normal price for 2 stars? 70% costs and 90/110 units....Is that a bit underpowered, or is it just me?

Probably just me.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:51 pm

Hmm, I've just had a decent thought recently, and considering Sturm's getting more and more off the wall, I think this'd be a decent idea.

80/~120 Stats
Perfect Movement
6-Star (54,000G) SCOP Only
4 Damage Meteor with +10/10 stats.

I think that'd work better. Vs Sturm lives?

Laureola

Post by Laureola » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:00 pm

Vs. Sturm FTW. I'd play with him in save-state swap.^^

Could we give him two terrain stars instead? That way his defence goes down with HP? Just wondering.
Nembras: I was thinking in German. Of course it means something in English. Still, very wrong.
thefalman: Well, I suppose it could be a Nazi deer?
Nembras & thefalman on a "ReichStag"

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:05 pm

Not as far as I know, no.